Rose has a thorn... I mean, a point.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
He does have a decent argument here...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...s-cheating-scandal/ar-BBZGi7J?ocid=spartandhp

Pete Rose asks MLB to reinstate him, citing Astros' cheating scandal
Matt Johnson, Sportsnaut
1 hr ago

Cincinnati Reds legend Pete Rose has asked MLB commissioner Rob Manfred to reinstate him from the league’s ineligible list. Rose cited MLB’s lack of punishment for Astros’ players involved in the electronic sign-stealing scandal as the reason for him to be reinstated.

© David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports
According to ESPN’s Don Van Natta Jr., Rose sent a letter to the commissioner this week arguing for his reinstatement. In the letter, Rose and his lawyers state that Manfred’s decision not to punish players for their role in the Astros violating “major game-changing rules” should result in Rose’s ban from baseball ending immediately.

Former MLB commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti banned Rose from baseball for life in 1989 after an investigation discovered that Rose was betting on baseball as Cincinnati’s manager.

After serving his suspension for more than 30 years and seeing Manfred not disciplining players for their role in violating the game’s rules, Rose and his lawyers argued that MLB can’t operate with different sets of rules for different players.

“There cannot be one set of rules for Mr. Rose and another for everyone else,” Rose said in his petition, via ESPN. “No objective standard or categorization of the rules violations committed by Mr. Rose can distinguish his violations from those that have incurred substantially less severe penalties from Major League Baseball.”​
Rose, who initially denied that he bet on baseball for years before admitting to it years later, seeks a meeting with Manfred to discuss a reinstatement to the game. MLB’s all-time leader in hits would seek induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. He also holds the MLB record for games played (3,562), singles (3,215) and at-bats (14,053) and is a 17-time All-Star.

This marks Rose’s second attempt at reinstatement to MLB, with his first also coming under Manfred’s tenure in 2015.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
No, he doesn't. Betting on baseball is the cardinal sin. It is the one thing that will get you banned forever. He knowingly violated it. There is no precedent for sign stealing getting a permanent ban.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
No, he doesn't. Betting on baseball is the cardinal sin. It is the one thing that will get you banned forever. He knowingly violated it. There is no precedent for sign stealing getting a permanent ban.
Guess I don't see the "major" differences between the two sins. BOTH (could have) impacted the outcome of games.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Guess I don't see the "major" differences between the two sins. BOTH (could have) impacted the outcome of games.
Doesn't matter. The penalty for betting on baseball is perma-ban. This has been true since the White Sox scandal of 1919 when Kenesaw Mountain Landis banned the "8 men out" forever. Pete knew this and did it anyway.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Doesn't matter. The penalty for betting on baseball is perma-ban. This has been true since the White Sox scandal of 1919 when Kenesaw Mountain Landis banned the "8 men out" forever. Pete knew this and did it anyway.
Seem even just a smidge hypocritical to you now though?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Seem even just a smidge hypocritical to you now though?
Nope. No more hypocritical than shoplifting and murder having different penalties. I mean, they're both felonies right?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Depends on how much you lift when you shop.

And, some people need killin’.
Yeah, I thought about that just after I posted... so, there again, *similar* crimes, different penalties.

Some people need killin'. Like Pete.

If you let Pete into the hof then you can't keep anyone out, ever. He broke the cardinal rule and knew the penalty.

Nov 18, 2010
Timothy McVeigh should be alive and free. The federal courts made their point.
Betting on baseball is the same as killing 169 people? Why would you ever make this comparison?

I feel like this is something you type and then later you realize you've said something kind of insane and horrible and you come back later and delete it.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Timothy McVeigh should be alive and free. The federal courts made their point.
Betting on baseball is the same as killing 169 people? Why would you ever make this comparison?

I feel like this is something you type and then later you realize you've said something kind of insane and horrible and you come back later and delete it.
You're absolutely right. I was using an even greater absurdity to point out the absurdity of "MLB made their point."

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Curious and lazy. Did he bet while managing a team or while retired?
Bet on baseball games (even his own team) as a Reds player and as a Reds Mgr.

Edit: when starting this thread, I thought I had heard (or remembered incorrectly) that he did NOT bet on games he was playing in and/or managed... I was mistaken. Maybe his transgressions were substantially greater than the recent Astros players. :blink:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Edit: when starting this thread, I thought I had heard (or remembered incorrectly) that he did NOT bet on games he was playing in and/or managed... I was mistaken. Maybe his transgressions were substantially greater than the recent Astros players. :blink:
Thanks for looking.

Nov 6, 2010

It was my understanding he never bet on games that involved his team. If that is the case, then I think the penalty is a bit excessive. If he bet on his own team, then he should stay banned.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
It was my understanding he never bet on games that involved his team. If that is the case, then I think the penalty is a bit excessive. If he bet on his own team, then he should stay banned.
He claimed he never bet on his teams games and screamed it across the media when it happened so that's what most people remember. Go figure they found out he lied and there wasn't much noise made about it.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Yeah, I guess this all happened so long ago I had forgotten that he did in fact bet on games that he played in and/or managed. :(