Robert Kraft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Prostitution is far from consensual much of the time. We all have seen the stories of exploited young girls that is too common in that industry. The question is does legalizing it help reduce that exploitation or just broaden the problem?
The problem is it isn’t a big enough deal for the Johns. Make it legal....require a license....require medical testing.... then if two consenting adults want to screw for cash then let them. Then if someone goes to a place where they have unlicensed sex shop going and workers living in conditions they don’t control throw the pimp in the slammer for life and make it a no bull felony to be a customer....and provide assistance to the workers when you bust a place instead of criminalizing them too. Kraft is a story because he is Kraft....if he was a salesmen in town on business he gets a misdemeanor ticket he can hide from his wife. If the difference in a legal blow and black market one was $50 and the cheaper option comes with the risk of disease or felony the $50 seems cheap.

Another Orchids of Asia will be up and running in days.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The problem is it isn’t a big enough deal for the Johns. Make it legal....require a license....require medical testing.... then if two consenting adults want to screw for cash then let them. Then if someone goes to a place where they have unlicensed sex shop going and workers living in conditions they don’t control throw the pimp in the slammer for life and make it a no bull felony to be a customer....and provide assistance to the workers when you bust a place instead of criminalizing them too. Kraft is a story because he is Kraft....if he was a salesmen in town on business he gets a misdemeanor ticket he can hide from his wife. If the difference in a legal blow and black market one was $50 and the cheaper option comes with the risk of disease or felony the $50 seems cheap.

Another Orchids of Asia will be up and running in days.
Run for office you'll get at least 1 vote.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Story time:

I got this from the Wall Street Journal long ago so it is a better source than some guy on the net. One of those zany European countries where prostitution is illegal, they also have a rule that says if you are on unemployment you have to accept a job the government find suitable for you (another reasonable sounding rule). Of course some young girl with limited job skills was matched up in the computer with the job for a young girl with limited job skills and told her she would lose her unemployment if she didn't get on her knees.

Not sure how the story was resolved but found it interesting.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
What's the world coming to when a guy can't get a happy ending? Seriously though, isn't it about time as a society that we legalize prostitution?? I can't think of any reasonable person that would argue that it will ever be stopped by any laws. And the whole human trafficking thing is all about the oldest profession. Time to stop human trafficking by legalizing and issuing work visas.

Thoughts?
Legalizing prostitution won't stop human trafficking. There will always be people who subvert the law.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Prostitution is far from consensual much of the time. We all have seen the stories of exploited young girls that is too common in that industry. The question is does legalizing it help reduce that exploitation or just broaden the problem?
This is my major objection to legalizing it. Much of prostitution is actually a form of slavery. It doesn't have to be a minor for this to be the case either. I don't trust the government to regulate it either.

Nov 6, 2010
This is my major objection to legalizing it. Much of prostitution is actually a form of slavery. It doesn't have to be a minor for this to be the case either. I don't trust the government to regulate it either.
But you trust the pimps that do so now? I think everyone understands that legalization or decriminalization is not tacit approval of the profession or the damage it can cause, but rather acknowledgement that it has been a profession and part of society since before the bible was written, and it ain't going nowhere. So if that is the case, the only question remaining is what is the lesser of two evils so to speak? Can state governments regulate the industry and insure the safety and health of both the workers and patrons better than the black market?? Can state governments better insure that there are no underage participants, voluntary or otherwise, or can the black market?? Finally, would the "administrative fees" be better spent on the pimps or by government officials charged with regulating the industry?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
But you trust the pimps that do so now? I think everyone understands that legalization or decriminalization is not tacit approval of the profession or the damage it can cause, but rather acknowledgement that it has been a profession and part of society since before the bible was written, and it ain't going nowhere. So if that is the case, the only question remaining is what is the lesser of two evils so to speak? Can state governments regulate the industry and insure the safety and health of both the workers and patrons better than the black market?? Can state governments better insure that there are no underage participants, voluntary or otherwise, or can the black market?? Finally, would the "administrative fees" be better spent on the pimps or by government officials charged with regulating the industry?
Sure, let’s legalize prostitution everywhere so the society that’s already circling the drain can plunge deeper into the sewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
And I'm sure that for a few years after alcohol prohibition was repealed that a lot of people were happier getting their illegal moonshine than they were going to a liquor store. Even today, I'm sure there is a tiny bit of illegal alcohol sold, but it is nothing compared to the legal sale. Legal marijuana is in its infancy. Check back in a decade or two and see how abundant that black market stays. I suspect that the majority of users are just like @teachum, and will eventually want little to do with an illegal version of something that is easy to obtain legally.
Yep. The local NPR station here in Denver does stories on the new marijuana industry pretty regularly. There are still so many hurdles to overcome due to the fact that it is still illegal under federal law. Production, distribution, logistics, banking, etc. All of that costs so much more than it would if not for this strange legal situation. The black market stuff is significantly cheaper, but if pot were legal everywhere that wouldn't be the case.

<---- not a stoner.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Sure, let’s legalize prostitution everywhere so the society that’s already circling the drain can plunge deeper into the sewer.
I definitely struggle with this one. I would prefer to see our society disapprove of the activity in all arenas we can, including the legal arena. But in this issue, like so many others, laws will clearly not solve the problem. So I do wonder if accepting a bad situation could be better than what we have now.