Rising Tides?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Just don't plant Eucalyptus...everywhere those babies are planted outside their homeland (and inside it too) fires rage..they are highly flammable and when you get an arsonist they go up like a torch. See California, Australia, Portugal and other areas worst on record fires and you will likely see this tree ablaze (we need more koalas). This IS just one example of humankind trying to do good and causing major issues.

Also if you plant more trees let them burn naturally from natural fires as needed, when we over patrol our forest we end up with large insect events like the recent Pine and Fir tree bark beetle infestations in the Rockies. If we let periodic fires burn the forest don't end up all being the same age and reaching old age at the same time causing a huge insect munching invasion. Certainly wintertime temps not reaching old records also has an effect on not killing larvae but even if that was too happen the event would be far smaller with healthy multi aged forest.

I truly hope Bezos Billions is invested wisely and not in pet projects forcing change on the populace and crippling the economy. I'd also like to see ONE democrat acknowledge the MASSIVE progress we have made since the 1970's on US air pollution. When I was a child out in LA the smog was so thick you could cut it...now its nearly smog free. HUGE success...but NO...we are all going to die in 7 years from Climate change. Dang people this should NOT be a partisan issue and IF folks would talk about positive progress rather than dire predictions...far more people would get on-board with sensible environmental policies.
Forestry minor at OkState believe it or not. Trees depend on fires. Several species’ seeds won’t even open until fire pries them open.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Not this year, the artic is at it's peak sea ice level currently for about the last 20 years. Btw, Polar Bear populations are also near record highs...
Where do you get this information? This is another problem with the climate change debate. I know you want to believe this because it's easier, but it's not true.

Edit: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
They are just being proactive in CASE it happens (hasn't yet) and ALSO to protect from storm surge which does happen periodically. It's a good idea either way.
If everyone on this site pitches in $1,000 we could buy a house on the island and see for ourselves.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Where do you get this information? This is another problem with the climate change debate. I know you want to believe this because it's easier, but it's not true.

Edit: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
It all depends on who you believe...the alarmist scientist or the realist scientist. Not sure what's true anymore...have to follow the money to uncover the truth on each and every claim.

Aug 16, 2012
Forestry minor at OkState believe it or not. Trees depend on fires. Several species’ seeds won’t even open until fire pries them open.
Pine cones. Learned that about pine cones from a forest ranger in Estes Park. Pretty cool inate defense and species preservation reaction

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Use the Bloomberg method “ just kill it” for the babies, “ no health care” for the seniors, that and eliminating the cattle farts , this will solve all climate issues. A Temporary reprieve for plastic straws and fossil fuels.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So where did you get that arctic sea ice extent is at its highest in 20 years?

Edit: https://weather.com/news/news/2020-02-13-polar-vortex-arctic-sea-ice-cover-highest
My bad. I saw the same report and added 10 years for good measure...lol. My mistake as I barely heard the report on the tv and it seemed like he said two decades. But I did find a site that says we are in a 10,000 year cycle and that we are headed for ice age..iceagenow.info .lol. Point remains that surface sea ice extent is increasing this year and at a higher level than in a decade...not 20 years...once again, my bad. It is also very important to understand where the various "scientist" receive their funding...on both sides of the argument. Another thing to think about is that more and more people are going into fields like this and our ability to measure is improving so our older data isn't as reliable...In other words, we don't really know....and are just measuring trends and coming up with differing opinions based on 'them" and who provides the funds for the study/research. Once again, it comes down to who you trust. It could be that the poles are slightly shifting and it's moving the pole closer to Greenland causing the ice levels in the past decade to shift toward North America / Greenland (land) and off of the coast of Northern Russia? who knows...I'd argue that no one does, certainly we should control what we can but to what extend do we control this and what size of an issue is it? That's where people disagree mostly .

Now, regarding polar bears....?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Use the Bloomberg method “ just kill it” for the babies, “ no health care” for the seniors, that and eliminating the cattle farts , this will solve all climate issues. A Temporary reprieve for plastic straws and fossil fuels.
1582120828921.png

Looks to me like maybe they have a point? lol

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Some facts:
- it's not about cow farts, it's about eructation (belching):
% of Total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from beef cattle = 2.03% (1.8% from eructation)
- total of all other agricultural greenhouse gas emissions = 6.6% (+ 2.03% from beef production = 8.63% of greenhouse gas emissions from production agriculture) There are bigger fish to fry in this debate. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-01/documents/2018_complete_report.pdf

- Earth/climate has been and is ALWAYS in constant change. Nature never stands still. Warm period - Ice Age - Warm period - Ice Age . . . always Climate Change (there is a reason for all the oil reserves in the Alaskan arctic; it was once a temperate rain forest)

- Human existence and endeavors leave a footprint; we don't truly know to what degree that footprint is responsible for climate change

- rising sea levels are not solely the product of warming temperatures and melting ice caps; land masses shift, rise and fall. Sea fossils are commonly found around Ardmore, Oklahoma. It was a sea bed at one time.

- global warming is MUCH preferable to global cooling, if we are going to increase food production by 60%, by the year 2050, to feed the world's population. Warming allows us to grow more food. Cooling would be catastrophic!

- As Mother Earth and her climate are always changing, humans must always be adapting. We cannot arrest the forces of nature and expect a static environment.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
The end of the last ice age caused a lot of good things to happen in North America especially. Allowed NYC to populate. Was under two miles of ice. Allowed for population expansion all over the continent from Kansas north. Warm = good. Frozen planet = bad.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Some facts:
- it's not about cow farts, it's about eructation (belching):
% of Total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions from beef cattle = 2.03% (1.8% from eructation)
- total of all other agricultural greenhouse gas emissions = 6.6% (+ 2.03% from beef production = 8.63% of greenhouse gas emissions from production agriculture) There are bigger fish to fry in this debate. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-01/documents/2018_complete_report.pdf

- Earth/climate has been and is ALWAYS in constant change. Nature never stands still. Warm period - Ice Age - Warm period - Ice Age . . . always Climate Change (there is a reason for all the oil reserves in the Alaskan arctic; it was once a temperate rain forest)

- Human existence and endeavors leave a footprint; we don't truly know to what degree that footprint is responsible for climate change

- rising sea levels are not solely the product of warming temperatures and melting ice caps; land masses shift, rise and fall. Sea fossils are commonly found around Ardmore, Oklahoma. It was a sea bed at one time.

- global warming is MUCH preferable to global cooling, if we are going to increase food production by 60%, by the year 2050, to feed the world's population. Warming allows us to grow more food. Cooling would be catastrophic!

- As Mother Earth and her climate are always changing, humans must always be adapting. We cannot arrest the forces of nature and expect a static environment.
We never take into account the net effect of Earth farts. When the Earth has an eruption or vents gases theres not exactly an OFF button

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

-
An ice age might lead to famine and the deaths of millions of people, but at least I wouldn't have to hear some of those global warming jack wagons say I told you so.

It's a tough call.