RIP RBG

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Here's a crazy scenario: Biden wins the election, Democrats take control of the Senate, and Republicans still fill the SC seat prior to January when the new president & senators are sworn into office.

The next few months are going to be crazy.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
In the last 4 years, I actually thought the most unified point for Republicans and even moderates was the Kavanaugh treatment and hearings. It could benefit to have that play out again during the election.
The treatment of Kavanaugh was bs. For the left he was the best pick Trump could have made and right now him and Roberts seem to be taking turns as the swing votes.

Nov 18, 2011
Actually he's right. Do you want one Supreme Court Justice you are now far more likely to get regardless, or do you want to lose two or three?

Think about it. Pushing this through will possibly result in a 2008 level bloodbath that coincides with a census year. Holding off will make the right look rational in a year where neither side looks rational. Plus suddenly now for on the fence Republicans the election is less a referendum on him and now a battle over a commanding majority on the Supreme Court.

Murkowski has already said she won't vote on it. Gardener and Collins aren't risking their political career and Romney despises Trump. Plus you have Thune on record earlier in the year saying if it comes up the Senate will address it in the next session.

Anything can happen but it's likely this will be pushed past the election. Congress has done Jack the past few weeks in handling the pandemic and economic fallout so rushing a lighting rod nomination that will only embolden the opposition party right before the election is a very nearsighted thing to do.
Meh, barring tragedy none of the conservatives on the court will be going anywhere in the next 4-8 years, especially with Biden/Harris as president. Them pushing through will not be impactful politically as everyone knows Dems would do the same, and would have with Garland had they had power. Republicans have gone down the path of “looking good” far to often but that does not deter the left and their media cronies.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I’m not willing to gamble a 20-30 year Supreme Court Justice on a 50/50 election. Republicans for too long have been the party always wanting to be viewed as fair and concerned with optics, all the while getting steamrolled by libs and their agenda. Dems and the media have spent 4 years pushing propaganda and fake news, obstructing Kavanaugh, coup and impeachment attempts. Not sure what gives you the idea that playing “fair” on this would result in unification or less resistance if Trump is re-elected. We need to take this court out of Roberts hands while the opportunity is there.
I don't disagree with 90% of that, but I think this is a time for restraint to SHOW the public clearly the difference...if we don't we look like the same political animals that they are. Optics / Ethics are why many of us vote for that party in the first place...that and it being pro life...

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You actually think there is anyone fence sitting right now that is actually planning to vote? I say that to nominate, and get voted in, another justice at this point could draw out those conservatives that were planning to sit this thing out again. The thought of another constitutional judge is a biggie and it opens it up for another in the next term as we know there is that possibility. But also, there chance to turn the 9th circuit constitutional/conservative is on the horizon. Pushing through the nomination now just some a little on the fact that he's continuing his promise and will in the next term as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Nobody is fence sitting. Polls are purely published for entertainment purposes. Some people just never figure out how the world works.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Did anyone else find it odd that so many Oklahomans didn't want the man who prosecuted Timothy McVeigh to be on the Supreme Court?

I assumed that guy who got Timothy McVeigh a death sentence after murdering 168 Oklahomans, especially so many children in the daycare of the Murrah building would be a hero for the law and order crowd in Oklahoma. But I suppose we all have our biases.

It just seemed like a head scratcher that so many Oklahomans opposed Merrick Garland. I'll never understand that one.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
This is what we have to deal with if Biden wins. They want to expand the court. People crying about "court stuffing now"? They ain't seen nothing. And I'm not afraid Trump will lose, I'm afraid we'll have a contested election and only 8 justices to hear it.
Constitution says to confirm.

As for Garland, other than McVeigh, I really didn't know much about him, but it was obvious there was time to confirm. But the "tradition" that BOTH sides had followed was to not confirm the opposite party justice in an election year. Can't have it both ways. They followed what had been done previously by both parties, and that "tradition" doesn't apply this year.

https://twitter.com/robertwadginski/status/1307176910942732288?s=19

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
What if.......
What if RBG has been dead for a while now and they waited to announce closer to election to cause more chaos?

Already hearing that. Crazy stuff. Doubt the family would agree to that no matter how liberal they are.

Sep 22, 2011
If you push for the justice you will get the left to react the way you want them to. They will riot and destroy. They will threaten violence on senators. It will be exactly what Republicans want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I feel like you would be happy with a civil war as long as it owned the left.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Did anyone else find it odd that so many Oklahomans didn't want the man who prosecuted Timothy McVeigh to be on the Supreme Court?

I assumed that guy who got Timothy McVeigh a death sentence after murdering 168 Oklahomans, especially so many children in the daycare of the Murrah building would be a hero for the law and order crowd in Oklahoma. But I suppose we all have our biases.

It just seemed like a head scratcher that so many Oklahomans opposed Merrick Garland. I'll never understand that one.
Maybe one case, that was pretty much a slam dunk, isn't enough to make up for the long term issues that he would be voting on, mainly the 2nd amendment. I don't care if a guy has put away a thousand mass murderers, if he wants to then turn around and take away my constitutional rights, I don't want him on the court....I would gladly support keeping him as a prosecutor though.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
If you push for the justice you will get the left to react the way you want them to. They will riot and destroy. They will threaten violence on senators. It will be exactly what Republicans want.

I feel like you would be happy with a civil war as long as it owned the left.
No i just want the left to look like they truly are to regular Americans.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1307252351141584896?s=19
I could probably almost guess which 4, the two from Maine would be my first 2 guesses. This really isn't surprising....I expected something like this as soon as I heard the news about RBG. Reps are wussies, I wish they had the same courage of conviction that the Dems have.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
My message to Republican senators..do what you have to do. To anyone questioning how they could be so hypocritical. I suggest you listen to this.
https://youtu.be/UcGH4FESkzI