RIP RBG

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Man this is such a great example of how blindly biased this board is. You guys are all literally saying the same rules should not apply to Republicans as apply to Democrats. There's not many here who seem to have much level of self-awareness so I'm sure just the few Ds and people who lean slightly right are able to see it and call it what it is. And it's not at all surprising because this board has shown time and again an ability to perform Shannon Miller levels of mental gymnastics. Still, pretty impressive.
you know that if chuck had control of the senate , he would have continued. He didn't so , Mitch didn't. It is pretty simple.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Man this is such a great example of how blindly biased this board is. You guys are all literally saying the same rules should not apply to Republicans as apply to Democrats. There's not many here who seem to have much level of self-awareness so I'm sure just the few Ds and people who lean slightly right are able to see it and call it what it is. And it's not at all surprising because this board has shown time and again an ability to perform Shannon Miller levels of mental gymnastics. Still, pretty impressive.
You got your impeachment and now you are about to get another conservative justice. Tough luck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Considering that Obama was held up on his nominee when Scalia died, POTUS Trump needs to wait until after the election. People on the fence will move to Biden if he doesn't...I am NO fan of RBG, but you don't move on this until AFTER you win the election. The only issue with that is if there is NOT nine justices on the court in a contested election what happens. Maybe if he nominated a moderate justice that everyone could get on board with? I just hope he takes a deep breath...and doesn't nominate someone with my political leanings unless he waits. This sucks so bad that this just happened now. Both the left and the right need to not let this further divide us. Ouch, I really hate this...

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
Considering that Obama was held up on his nominee when Scalia died, POTUS Trump needs to wait until after the election. People on the fence will move to Biden if he doesn't...I am NO fan of RBG, but you don't move on this until AFTER you win the election. The only issue with that is if there is NOT nine justices on the court in a contested election what happens. Maybe if he nominated a moderate justice that everyone could get on board with? I just hope he takes a deep breath...and doesn't nominate someone with my political leanings unless he waits. This sucks so bad that this just happened now.
He is gonna nominate Amy Barrett within the next few days. Take it to the bank.

Oct 7, 2008
Considering that Obama was held up on his nominee when Scalia died, POTUS Trump needs to wait until after the election. People on the fence will move to Biden if he doesn't...I am NO fan of RBG, but you don't move on this until AFTER you win the election. The only issue with that is if there is NOT nine justices on the court in a contested election what happens. Maybe if he nominated a moderate justice that everyone could get on board with? I just hope he takes a deep breath...and doesn't nominate someone with my political leanings unless he waits. This sucks so bad that this just happened now. Both the left and the right need to not let this further divide us. Ouch, I really hate this...
We don't always agree but as you continue to post you just keep gaining more and more of my respect.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
We don't always agree but as you continue to post you just keep gaining more and more of my respect.
Oh please lol. If this was a Democrat president and senate you would be saying push it through lol.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
He is gonna nominate Amy Barrett within the next few days. Take it to the bank.

Hopefully she is slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun.
As long as she votes against abortion and for the second ammendment she can be whatever she wants to be.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He might have to nominate someone...if he nominates a moderate, would that be acceptable or will they say whomever he nominate is a rapist? The biggest concern I have is that he's damned if he does, but he may be dammed if he doesn't IF the election is left up to the court. Man this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I was specifically worried about this happening when it did. All that said, this was a good woman, despite her politics, who got along with the other side very well....we could all learn a ton from that.

OP150

John 15:13
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
Merrick Garland, a nominee for Supreme Court Justice by President Obama, had his confirmation hearing delayed more than a year in the name of a Presidential election.
Politics has changed since then. With the left abandoning civility and going so far as impeaching a President with no evidence of a crime they reap what they sow at this point.

Oct 30, 2007
I said that it was wrong for McConnell to hold up Garland's nomination when it happened. I would like to see the process changed so that it doesn't happen again. The Senate majority shouldn't be able to hold up the process for political reasons.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
This quote from last year should remove any doubt as to what McConnell will do.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/29/18644061/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-hearings-2020-merrick-garland
“Should a Supreme Court justice die next year, what will your position be on filling that spot?” an attendee asked.

“Oh, we’d fill it,” McConnell replied with a smile.
I thought you were going say this quote:
Mitch McConnell quote from February 2016, 7 months before the presidential election -

"Following a longstanding tradition of not filling vacancies on the Supreme Court in the middle of a presidential election year...the American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

If you support this obvious hypocrisy you simply show your character. Blaming this other side doesn’t absolve in any way and if you are principled in any way you know that.

Oct 7, 2008
He might have to nominate someone...if he nominates a moderate, would that be acceptable or will they say whomever he nominate is a rapist? The biggest concern I have is that he's damned if he does, but he may be dammed if he doesn't IF the election is left up to the court. Man this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I was specifically worried about this happening when it did. All that said, this was a good woman, despite her politics, who got along with the other side very well....we could all learn a ton from that.
I'm honestly not in full on this is the end of the world mode like a lot of Dems right now. The Supreme Court was one of the few things that made me feel good the last four years (not the nomination process, their decisions). Whoever gets appointed things will be fine.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oh please lol. If this was a Democrat president and senate you would be saying push it through lol.

I've NEVER voted for a Democrat in ANY election and I'm not going to in this one...BUT, We SPECIFICALLY held it up under Obama and gave the excuse that it should wait until after the election. IMHO, Trumps best political play is to hold it up until after he wins the election...IF he doesn't, IMHO, he's not going to win...IF he does hold it up he will win. I think it's that simple. Now, IF, he nominates someone very moderate on everything, then maybe he can do it in order to have a full court IF the election is contested and falls to the court. Bottom line, IMHO he needs to wait for his political life...The media and much of the country loves RBG and will be PISSED even more than now. I pray he is wise enough to concede this and wait OR nominate a moderate. It has to be one or the other.

Oct 7, 2008
I said that it was wrong for McConnell to hold up Garland's nomination when it happened. I would like to see the process changed so that it doesn't happen again. The Senate majority shouldn't be able to hold up the process for political reasons.
Probably something we should considering codifying soon, lol.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com

I've NEVER voted for a Democrat in ANY election and I'm not going to in this one...BUT, We SPECIFICALLY held it up under Obama and gave the excuse that it should wait until after the election. IMHO, Trumps best political play is to hold it up until after he wins the election...IF he doesn't, IMHO, he's not going to win...IF he does hold it up he will win. I think it's that simple. Now, IF, he nominates someone very moderate on everything, then maybe he can do it in order to have a full court IF the election is contested and falls to the court. Bottom line, IMHO he needs to wait for his political life...The media and much of the country loves RBG and will be PISSED even more than now. I pray he is wise enough to concede this and wait OR nominate a moderate. It has to be one or the other.
Never said you were I was responding huckleberry

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Read what I posted on page 1 a McConnells letter from Ramses. McConell followed Senate traditions by NOT giving Garland a vote. That tradition does not apply to the same party.

And it is hilarious to hear liberals say You can’t nominate now by tradition. And then also say If we win the senate and the presidency we will increase the number of judges in the court to get our way!!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I will agree the media loved her and a bunch of liberals, but I wouldn't say "much of the country" loved her.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk