RIP Dan Blankenship.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I, too, remember reading the same Reader's Digest story when I was a kid.
Very sad. Was watching it yesterday and was amazed at how good he still looked at his age
Are you all paying rent for being in my head? Just got back late Saturday and watched it last night as well and I just said to my wife too bad Dan doesn't get to see the money pit.

AND..... I too remember the story in readers digest and have become a part time treasure seeker because of it. I used to daydream about that place and it's wicked cool to see someone literally get to the bottom of it. Although, I think the priest and Samuel Ball already found it all years ago.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Yeah, I think the treasure is long gone. Samuel Ball got rich somehow. I think he found the back door on the far side of the island.
At OSU, I spent my free time learning metal detecting and divining rods. Found a small fortune in jewelry at lake Arcadia beaches. Unfortunately, in those days, people had their names engraved on it. Spent a lot of time hunting them down to give it back. After college, I got into finding fossils. Kept the best ones but found a market for the rest in Taos. While there, we went exploring and cliff climbing. A friend reached into a small whole and found a perfect publeo seed jar. With the seeds still in it! Sold it to a local museum for almost nothing but still very cool. Also found a 500-1000 year old pipe bowl carved liked an eagle head. Stem wore out long ago but it found a new home and is still be used as a pipe bowl. Wink wink. I've been looking for diamonds in Arkansas but still no luck there. Done gold panning close to my home in Sammamish but just a few flakes a day left in the rivers. My favorite treasure hunting hobby now is meterorite scavengering. The hunt is the best part but finding them is still pretty cool. All due to that article in readers digest.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
The longer and longer this show goes on, the less and less I think there really is something substantial to find. How people could bury treasure 100+ feet underground (on an island mind you) and dig flood tunnels from the sea in the 1700s is beyond me.

On the flip side, the stuff they uncover boggles my mind and has to indicate people were there many centuries ago. The stuff they've been uncovering in the cove is really cool. I also tend to think there might be more to the triangle swamp.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
The longer and longer this show goes on, the less and less I think there really is something substantial to find. How people could bury treasure 100+ feet underground (on an island mind you) and dig flood tunnels from the sea in the 1700s is beyond me.

On the flip side, the stuff they uncover boggles my mind and has to indicate people were there many centuries ago. The stuff they've been uncovering in the cove is really cool. I also tend to think there might be more to the triangle swamp.
The last sentence is why I'm still watching. How did anybody 3-400 years ago know how to do it? I still can't figure out to do it today.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

The last sentence is why I'm still watching. How did anybody 3-400 years ago know how to do it? I still can't figure out to do it today.
I was hooked when I heard them mention the Reader's Digest article.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
"I boulder? In the ocean? Could this mean someone placed it there, as a marker to the real treasure? Or, could it mean something... even more sinister?"

The dude is wearing me out. I want to make him #7 for the Island. Sacrifice him over the money pit.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
At OSU, I spent my free time learning metal detecting and divining rods. Found a small fortune in jewelry at lake Arcadia beaches. Unfortunately, in those days, people had their names engraved on it. Spent a lot of time hunting them down to give it back. After college, I got into finding fossils. Kept the best ones but found a market for the rest in Taos. While there, we went exploring and cliff climbing. A friend reached into a small whole and found a perfect publeo seed jar. With the seeds still in it! Sold it to a local museum for almost nothing but still very cool. Also found a 500-1000 year old pipe bowl carved liked an eagle head. Stem wore out long ago but it found a new home and is still be used as a pipe bowl. Wink wink. I've been looking for diamonds in Arkansas but still no luck there. Done gold panning close to my home in Sammamish but just a few flakes a day left in the rivers. My favorite treasure hunting hobby now is meterorite scavengering. The hunt is the best part but finding them is still pretty cool. All due to that article in readers digest.
I do some metal detecting myself. Not as much as I like. A few years ago, I was granted access to Boggy Depo outside Atoka and found a dozen rifle balls, bullets and horseshoes. Also found a lot of pottery in old privies. Really fun looking for history in the ground!