Rifle builds

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
IMG_20140911_204228198.jpg
removed the A2 style gasblock. installed new gas block plus magpul flip up back up sight. HOORAY for no more cowitnessing! Vortex SPARC reddot.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
New to KCMO
WillPhillips.org
thanks for the heads up before i did something stupid. ugh.
No worries, brother. We've all been there. If you're doing a decent amount of shooting, that gas block will get hot hot hot.

RMA issued. Bah. Any recommendations as to STEEL flip up front sights that may work with the plastic MBUS rear?
Magpul makes steel flip ups. I think they're called "pro" series, maybe? Also, Troy makes iron/steel flip ups, too.

I think that iron sights are pretty much all aligned to the same two sets of heights to align with what would be a standard A2 front sight height. But I'm a bit out of the loop on that, fortunately there's a lot of threads on other forums that would be helpful.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
No worries, brother. We've all been there. If you're doing a decent amount of shooting, that gas block will get hot hot hot.

Magpul makes steel flip ups. I think they're called "pro" series, maybe? Also, Troy makes iron/steel flip ups, too.

I think that iron sights are pretty much all aligned to the same two sets of heights to align with what would be a standard A2 front sight height. But I'm a bit out of the loop on that, fortunately there's a lot of threads on other forums that would be helpful.
I have the Magpul iron's and love'em. SOOOO much better than the MBUS MOE. As for alignment with their polymer? No clue.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
View attachment 32625 removed the A2 style gasblock. installed new gas block plus magpul flip up back up sight. HOORAY for no more cowitnessing! Vortex SPARC reddot.
I'm a big fan of Vortex and I have the SPARC on my .300 B/O. Great compromise for those that don't want to spend the $500-700 on an Aimpoint or EOTech. I have the EOTech 552 on my AR and the SPARC is really just as good.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
New to KCMO
WillPhillips.org
Just an update on the Tikka build because I'm pretty happy at the moment.

7mm-08
18in. factory sporter weight barrel
Factory trigger
140gr Nosler Accubonds
Factory loaded Nosler Custom Trophy ammo

With everything put together and roughly bore sighted, my friend and I took our rifles (he bought a Redfield Revolution to put on his .30-06 BAR) to sight them in properly. We head out of the city to a small logging town where we know a gentlemen had build a proper 100 yard range and opened it to the public (having used it a handful of times before).

Trouble is, it's three weeks until the season starts, the sun is out, and it's warm. There's already a heard of folks at this little single lane range, so we grab lunch and come back where we find a family group wrapping up.

After we attempt to get his BAR sighted in without much success (couldn't get it to group and ejection/loading problems), it's my turn.

I get set up and prepared to shoot three shot groups (three round magazine, so it will have to do). Now, keep in mind, I'm a pretty poor shot. Relatively late in life to firearms and hunting, still yet to attend an Appleseed, don't practice enough with the precision AR I assembled for just that purpose, etc.

So away we go.

First group all six to eight inches low vertically and an inch and a half spread horizontally.

Adjust the scope and I try again, with a little better results. One shot directly under the bullseye 3 inches low, one shot I knew I pulled high and to the right about four counties away, and the final shot a half inch to the left of the bullseye and about two inches low.

By this time, more people had arrived with their hunting rifles. for courtesy's sake, this should be my last group. I better make it count.

Two shots drop almost right on top of each other vertically and are both about an inch dead left of the bullseye. The third is vertically right in line an inch above the bullseye.

Holy crap. I just shot a 1 MOA group. I've never done that before.

I should have taken a picture for proof, but didn't think of it till later in the day.

Might have been a fluke occurrence. Warm barrel, might not be able to do it again, but I'm really, really happy, guys. Both in myself (to be honest) and in the rifle. Looking forward to what it can do.

Going to a sight in day next weekend where they club with have a chrono available. I plan on using that to get some numbers to build out a basic drop chart out to 300 yards or so and get ready for the season to come around.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Just an update on the Tikka build because I'm pretty happy at the moment.

7mm-08
18in. factory sporter weight barrel
Factory trigger
140gr Nosler Accubonds
Factory loaded Nosler Custom Trophy ammo

With everything put together and roughly bore sighted, my friend and I took our rifles (he bought a Redfield Revolution to put on his .30-06 BAR) to sight them in properly. We head out of the city to a small logging town where we know a gentlemen had build a proper 100 yard range and opened it to the public (having used it a handful of times before).

Trouble is, it's three weeks until the season starts, the sun is out, and it's warm. There's already a heard of folks at this little single lane range, so we grab lunch and come back where we find a family group wrapping up.

After we attempt to get his BAR sighted in without much success (couldn't get it to group and ejection/loading problems), it's my turn.

I get set up and prepared to shoot three shot groups (three round magazine, so it will have to do). Now, keep in mind, I'm a pretty poor shot. Relatively late in life to firearms and hunting, still yet to attend an Appleseed, don't practice enough with the precision AR I assembled for just that purpose, etc.

So away we go.

First group all six to eight inches low vertically and an inch and a half spread horizontally.

Adjust the scope and I try again, with a little better results. One shot directly under the bullseye 3 inches low, one shot I knew I pulled high and to the right about four counties away, and the final shot a half inch to the left of the bullseye and about two inches low.

By this time, more people had arrived with their hunting rifles. for courtesy's sake, this should be my last group. I better make it count.

Two shots drop almost right on top of each other vertically and are both about an inch dead left of the bullseye. The third is vertically right in line an inch above the bullseye.

Holy crap. I just shot a 1 MOA group. I've never done that before.

I should have taken a picture for proof, but didn't think of it till later in the day.

Might have been a fluke occurrence. Warm barrel, might not be able to do it again, but I'm really, really happy, guys. Both in myself (to be honest) and in the rifle. Looking forward to what it can do.

Going to a sight in day next weekend where they club with have a chrono available. I plan on using that to get some numbers to build out a basic drop chart out to 300 yards or so and get ready for the season to come around.
Regarding the BAR, if he was using a vise for shooting, it could be that the clamping device is putting the chamber in a bind and will not let it load and eject properly. Have seen this with a friend's elderly father.
For practical hunting purposes, anything under 1.5 MOA is very acceptable; especially with factory loads and sporter weight barrels. If you are diligent about cleaning your rifle barrel, oftentimes the first "cold/clean barrel fouling shot" will be a flyer. Some barrels prefer a little fouling to group consistently. Years ago, I religiously cleaned my barrels after every 20 rounds. I no longer do this, for the aforementioned reason. I may go 50-60 or even 100 rounds between cleaning now.
Barrel heating, particularly for lighter profile barrels, may also affect grouping. Rifles are like people; each one is unique.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Okay. Take two.

I like this a lot better. Much smaller footprint. Very solid. Really contemplating replacing the rear polymer mbus now. The adjusting knob needs some lube, but that's easy. Out of the box, mine was really hard to adjust. Totally recommend it.

If i have them on backwards, please laugh at me. I think I got it right.
IMG_20140919_205751478.jpg
IMG_20140919_205812160.jpg

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
I recently bought a new Tikka T3 left hand 223 that I'm going to use as a donor and build a 300 blackout. Likely will be 17-18", threaded barrel. I'll cerakote the barreled action and paint the tupperware stock with a camo stencil. Optics will be a 1.5-5 or similar low power for 200 yard hog gun.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Do you have any issues with the elevation adjustment on the front mbus pro? The adjustment knob on mine is VERY difficult to rotate. Suggestions?
Get some oil to loosen it a bit. They are a PITA to rotate, if I remember. I got handpiece oil from the dental office and it loosened it. Not sure if you want to use WD40, heard it can damage the finish but I'm not 100%. Might try rim-oil first.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Get some oil to loosen it a bit. They are a PITA to rotate, if I remember. I got handpiece oil from the dental office and it loosened it. Not sure if you want to use WD40, heard it can damage the finish but I'm not 100%. Might try rim-oil first.
Yeah, wasn't going to try wd40. just didnt seem like a good idea. I will give the gun oil a try tonight. Thursday is my shootin day, so I can make sure it is cycling properly with the new gas block, as well as checking the sights. Super excited.