Rickie picked up a cool $183K today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Redhawk

Rollin' bones at the Texaco
A/V Subscriber
Dec 5, 2011
Eufaula
He should be able to buy quite a few matching outfits with that money. Joking aside, it's good to see him have a good weekend.

Jul 20, 2005
Rickie won't challenge Rory until he decides to get his swing fixed, he is a top 30 player with his swing now, but if anyone notices under pressure he hits a hook and that is because of his Sergio-esque swing, which has won Sergio how many majors? 0

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
Rickie won't challenge Rory until he decides to get his swing fixed, he is a top 30 player with his swing now, but if anyone notices under pressure he hits a hook and that is because of his Sergio-esque swing, which has won Sergio how many majors? 0
I've heard that too about his swing.

What is it that he does and what's holding him up from correcting it? I've seen him play before, but I suck at golf and don't really know how to analyze what's a good swing or a bad one ...I just like swinging as hard as I can and hope that it goes down the fairway.

Feb 20, 2007
I've heard that too about his swing.

What is it that he does and what's holding him up from correcting it? I've seen him play before, but I suck at golf and don't really know how to analyze what's a good swing or a bad one ...I just like swinging as hard as I can and hope that it goes down the fairway.

Rickie's swing is pretty unique. He is very much a feel and rhythm player. His club is very laid off at the top, meaning his club points way left. His change of direction is very dramatic. His arm plane is pretty low. He tends to stop his body rotation on his downswing which causes him to either hit big pushes because his club path goes out to the right, or big hooks, because he tries to save the shot from going right with his hands. When his timing is on it works great. But when his timing if off, he can hit all over the place.

May 1, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Not bad for 4 days of golf. I'm hoping he can get consistent enough to put some pressure on McIlroy.
McIlroy is just on a different level from everyone playing right now, from a consistency standpoint at least. I like Fowler, but he is way too streaky to pose any serious challenge for the top. I think Mahan has the best shot of all the current OSU pros to make it into the top 5 in the world. Hopefully he gets there this year.

Nov 30, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
Rickie's swing is pretty unique. He is very much a feel and rhythm player. His club is very laid off at the top, meaning his club points way left. His change of direction is very dramatic. His arm plane is pretty low. He tends to stop his body rotation on his downswing which causes him to either hit big pushes because his club path goes out to the right, or big hooks, because he tries to save the shot from going right with his hands. When his timing is on it works great. But when his timing if off, he can hit all over the place.
It's nice to see someone speak intelligently about a golf swing. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Nov 30, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
Back in October Rickie beat Rory by 6 shots in Korea. So he can beat him, he has already proven that. But in general I agree with you Rickie just doesn't have the swing to compete consistently.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
#1 rule about the golf swing - If it ain't broke don't fix it! Jim Furyk is a testament to that. He has 16 wins and a major with the ugliest swing the pga tour has ever seen.
It is broke. When he wins one in a row, call me. His inconsistency leads to at least one bad round every tournament. Tiger has re-invented his swing 4 times. I am a huge Ricky fan. He is great for the game and OSU, but if he doesn't win soon, he'll become as irrelevant as CHIII. A solid top 30 player, but not a winner.

May 4, 2006
BLUE RIVER
It is broke. When he wins one in a row, call me. His inconsistency leads to at least one bad round every tournament. Tiger has re-invented his swing 4 times. I am a huge Ricky fan. He is great for the game and OSU, but if he doesn't win soon, he'll become as irrelevant as CHIII. A solid top 30 player, but not a winner.
In October, Fowler enjoyed his first professional win with a victory in the OneAsia Tour's Kolon Korea Open, securing a six shot victory over Rory McIlroy.

May 4, 2006
BLUE RIVER
I think he meant two in a row.
I took it to mean that Rickie hasn't done much in his professional career and that his swing was the reason.

Here's what a few people had to say about his swing:

Gary Gilchrist, head of the Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy, noted the similarities between Garcia and Fowler - and the trap Garcia entered.
"When you're playing well, you tend to look at weaknesses and how to get better. If you keep listening to the critics though, like Sergio did, then it can cost you."
Garcia was pronounced a phenom after his 1999 loss to Tiger Woods at the PGA Championship. And we all know how that has turned out since.
To date, though, Rickie's swing has held up very well. And it appears that the sentiment among the keenest eyes in the game is that it will continue to hold up under pressure. Gilchrist noted that Fowler's mechanics are not what makes him a strong player.
"Could [Fowler] swing on a better plane? Sure. But the swing is 10% of the game. Fowler has a swing he believes in and trusts. That's more important that a great, mechanical swing."
Renowned teacher Jim McLean weighed in, having personal experience in working with Rickie and his son, Jon, having been a teammate of Fowler's at Oklahoma State.
"I worked with Rickie one time, at the Porter Cup a few years ago when he was just a little bit off. One thing I told Rickie then was to not change his swing, and that I liked what he did," McLean said. "I also had high praise for his teacher in California."
McLean made an equally apt comparison to Fowler. In addition to Garcia, McLean compared Fowler's mechanics to that of Ryan Moore - a winner in Greensboro this season.
"I told the same to a young Ryan Moore and his father years ago when Ryan's dad asked me about working with his son or possibly making a swing change. Rickie has a similar type swing, but more standard than Ryan's.
"Rickie reminds me of a young Lanny Wadkins, one of the greatest ball strikers I have ever seen, and about the same size. Great swings in golf have a certain degree of abanonment. Most people do not recognize how crucial this is to top class golf. Rickie has that gift. My opinion is his swing will last. Hopefully some strong willed method teacher never gets into his head."
Talking to Tiger Woods' swing coach Hank Haney about Fowler's swing, he simply said, "If it was going to be unreliable it would have already been that way. He sure has done pretty good."
Fowler certainly has credentials. Having been recognized as the best college golfer in America as a freshman and nearly winning on the Nationwide Tour earlier this year, Fowler's body of work seems to validate the remarks and praise of all three teachers. Results speak for themselves.
Further, Fowler he has inherent talent inside of 100 yards. He has displayed a propensity to drain putts from anywhere and be very sharp with the wedges. If he can make the adjustment necessary to the new grooves next season, he could be lethal even with any faulty mechanics that could manifest themselves. Just ask Tiger what a great short game can compensate for on Tour.
Gary Gilchrist cautions any young player, though, against using Tiger as a standard for their swing.
"Don't learn how to be Tiger Woods," Gilchrist said. "Learn to be yourself."
Fowler clearly believes in himself, but that may just be part of the equation. The man that beat both he and Lovemark in the playoff was a journeyman who has been at his career best in the Fall Series. If Fowler could be bested by Troy Matteson, then perhaps there is still a little ways to go for him to reach his potential.
But, potential sure is exciting and the best swing eyes in the game are convinced that this is just the beginning for RIckie Fowler