Respect for Kelvin Sampson

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
My dad turns 83 next week and he golfs 5 times a week. He sure isn’t sitting in a wheelchair with a blanket draped over him.
That's awesome! Tell him to keep going as long as he can. My Dad is 91 1/2 and golfs about 4 days a week. He used to be a scratch golfer but now shoots in the 90's most of the time. He regularly gets into the 80's on good days though. He shot an 83 not too long ago at 91 years old. I kept thinking eventually I'd wear him down and beat him some day. It ain't gonna happen. The Indian Springs Pro shop kept submitting his name every time he broke his age and finally realized it wasn't a rare enough thing to keep doing it. His frequent saying to all us "kids" who are now approaching our 60's....."Everybody hurts, you keep moving or your done". He's got his fair share of pain but he pretty much lives by that saying.

Last edited:

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Yea, no. Sampson was a complete ass to Coach Sutton when he was at OU. He would negative recruit and would tell kids that "Eddie won't be there much longer, he's going to retire soon." There was a reason he was practically banned from coaching in the NCAA for five years.

Two of the past three colleges he's coached got hit by NCAA Probation due to recruiting violations. Houston might end up three-in-a-row.

I have a lot of respect for coaches like Tubbs, Kruger, hell... even Stoops. Sampson is one that will never be on my list due to how he treated our Coach.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Yea, no. Sampson was a complete ass to Coach Sutton when he was at OU. He would negative recruit and would tell kids that "Eddie won't be there much longer, he's going to retire soon." There was a reason he was practically banned from coaching in the NCAA for five years.

Two of the past three colleges he's coached got hit by NCAA Probation due to recruiting violations. Houston might end up three-in-a-row.

I have a lot of respect for coaches like Tubbs, Kruger, hell... even Stoops. Sampson is one that will never be on my list due to how he treated our Coach.
agreed. while what Kelvin said after the game and how he reacted to seeing Sutton was obviously heart felt, he was a douche when he was at ou.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
That's awesome! Tell him to keep going as long as he can. My Dad is 91 1/2 and golfs about 4 days a week. He used to be a scratch golfer but now shoots in the 90's most of the time. He regularly gets into the 80's on good days though. He shot an 83 not too long ago at 91 years old. I kept thinking eventually I'd wear him down and beat him some day. It ain't gonna happen. The Indian Springs Pro shop kept submitting his name every time he broke his age and finally realized it wasn't a rare enough thing to keep doing it. His frequent saying to all us "kids" who are now approaching our 60's....."Everybody hurts, you keep moving or your done". He's got his fair share of pain but he pretty much lives by that saying.
Wow! That gives me hope that I have another decade+ with my Dad. He's slowed down a little, but it's barely noticeable. He's maybe lost 10 yards off the tee. The only way I have ever beat him is when he has a bad day and I'm playing really well (the apple fell kind of far from the tree as far as golfing ability). We're both lucky to have them around as long as we have. I think I'll hug him extra hard this weekend when we celebrate his birthday.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Wow! That gives me hope that I have another decade+ with my Dad. He's slowed down a little, but it's barely noticeable. He's maybe lost 10 yards off the tee. The only way I have ever beat him is when he has a bad day and I'm playing really well (the apple fell kind of far from the tree as far as golfing ability). We're both lucky to have them around as long as we have. I think I'll hug him extra hard this weekend when we celebrate his birthday.
My Dad hits his driver about as far as he used to hit his 7 iron, but inside 150-170 yards he’s still amazingly accurate.....

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

People can grow, and I think life is growing Sampson...yeah we loved to hate him when he coached at ou and didn't like him, but he has paid his price and learned his lessons I think...the reaction to me was a real one from a guy who has learned some lessons about the fleeting nature of life. I can respect that change, especially from someone I didn't think had that in them.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
yeah, that was a genuine, heartfelt tribute by one coach to a legend. i watched it a couple times for that reason.

Aug 16, 2012
I play in a weekly Wednesday seniors "tournament" . Hit 55 and thought I was going to walk in and own the show. HA!!!! I get my ass kicked by guys 10-30 years older than me on a weekly basis. They all comment on my ability to hit 300 yard tee shots with my 3-wood. I graciously thank them but tell them I would trade it all in for hitting every fairway and dropping approach shots five feet from the pin any day. They are more accurate with their 150 yard approaches using a hybrid 5 than I am with my 58 degree wedge from 50 out. I love playing with those guys and learn more about the game every time out

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Kelvin's daughter put up a tweet regarding this. Classy. Gotta go find it.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Found it. I love the last line:

https://twitter.com/laurenEsampson/status/1071597680474906624?s=19

Last edited: