Research undermines medical marijuana claims

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
My polling station is a church in OKC. There were two young men in the voting room politely telling people as they were leaving "Have a good day. We hope you voted as God intended".
I wasn't offended or anything. I just thought it was odd.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
"This is the first FDA-approved drug that contains a purified drug substance derived from marijuana," the agency announced in a press release. "It is also the first FDA approval of a drug for the treatment of patients with Dravet syndrome."
A couple of things. First, from the Marinol package insert:
Dronabinol, the active ingredient in MARINOL® (dronabinol) Capsules, is synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC). Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is also a naturally occurring component of Cannabis sativa L. (Marijuana).​
Marinol was approved by the FDA in 1985. So, the "first FDA-approved drug that contains a purified substance derived from marijuana" pronouncement is off by, oh, 33 years or so.

Second, since C-I is "no recognized medical use" and CBD now has an FDA recognized medical use it is more than a little odd that they approved it as C-I. It won't be for long, but I wonder what circular logic led to that decision.

Finally, I'd be willing to bet the sales far outstrip the number of Dravet syndrome patients in the US. Anyone want to take that bet? Townie?

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A few relevant to this thread...

A Tulsa police officer whose wife is a city councilor has taken to social media to say he favors legalizing medical marijuana.

“In 23 years, 6 months, 8 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 28 29 30 … seconds of my law enforcement career, I have never had a negative encounter with someone high on marijuana,” Sgt. Marcus Harper wrote on his personal Facebook page Monday night. “All they want to do is sit down and eat. I’m voting YES on 788.”
Link

Forgot to share this one Monday...

On the day before voters decide whether to legalize medical marijuana via State Question 788, U.S. Sen. James Lankford, an Oklahoma City Republican and former Baptist preacher, took issue with a mailer that accuses him of theological hypocrisy and claims the Bible supports marijuana use.

Quoting from Genesis, the mailer from Yes on 788's political action committee states, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”

Lankford, who has made clear in recent weeks his opposition to SQ 788, called the mailer “bizarre.”
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
For those who have yet to vote today: You should be handed two ballots by your precinct worker. One is partisan (the races for governor, legislators, etc.), and the other includes State Question 788 and any nonpartisan races (e.g. judges).

Note: Precinct volunteers are not perfect. Some voters have reported not receiving the second ballot and having to request it. If you perceive any malice, you can call the state election board at 405-521-2391 or (for Tulsa area residents) Tulsa County Election Board at 918-596-5780.