Requesting OSU Logo Usage

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

browneye253

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Nov 1, 2005
Tulsa
Could anybody tell me if it's worth trying to request permission to use the OSU brand logo from the university? I'm going to have GatorStep https://www.gatorstep.com make me a piece for the top of my RTIC cooler and would like to have the brand added but my gut tells me the request would be denied because they're a commercial entity. Thanks for any feedback.

Aug 16, 2012
Not an expert, but to my understanding, most trademark attorneys will tell you if YOU make ONE item, for YOUR personal use, there is no trademark infringement. But, if you engage someone else to make the item for you, then there is a trademark infringement issue. You cannot make an item for someone else and you cannot sell the item at any time.

browneye253

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Nov 1, 2005
Tulsa
I wasn’t planning to side step anything. More asking if I submitted a request to OSU what’s the likelihood they’d allow it.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I wasn’t planning to side step anything. More asking if I submitted a request to OSU what’s the likelihood they’d allow it.
The manufacturer would have to submit the request. They are the one making the product and giving/selling it to you.
I was just going to say this. You should see if they already hold some NCAA licenses. If so then it should be no big deal for them to request OSU allow it.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
Little late but usually questions with Logo usage would start here:

Contact Information

For more information regarding the use of OSU’s trademarks contact the Office of Trademarks and Licensing.

Kurtis Mason

Director of Trademarks and Licensing

Phone: 405-744-6238

licensing@okstate.edu

But yeah when I got logos and stuff done before it was all with Stillwater companies so most of OSU logos they already are licensed to use.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
i don't know anything about any of this, but I will tell you that a friend of mine has a MasterCraft X80 and his back platform has the Pistol Pete logo on it. It's bad ass. Don't know if it was made by Gator Step or not, but he just had his boat re-upholstered before last summer and someone did it locally, i'm pretty sure.

edit to add: locally meaning OKC area

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Could anybody tell me if it's worth trying to request permission to use the OSU brand logo from the university? I'm going to have GatorStep https://www.gatorstep.com make me a piece for the top of my RTIC cooler and would like to have the brand added but my gut tells me the request would be denied because they're a commercial entity. Thanks for any feedback.
I think that they are pretty lax about one-off stuff and custom work as long as it is tasteful and you aren't trying to resell it and make a profit.

If done correctly, it is just another piece of good 'marketing' which only helps the university.

browneye253

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Nov 1, 2005
Tulsa
I think that they are pretty lax about one-off stuff and custom work as long as it is tasteful and you aren't trying to resell it and make a profit.

If done correctly, it is just another piece of good 'marketing' which only helps the university.
Guess I'll see if I can track down a contact for requesting the use and see where I get with it.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Guess I'll see if I can track down a contact for requesting the use and see where I get with it.
Good luck. Hopefully it isn't too hard. My boss was going to do a poker table with the OSU logo. I am not sure who he tracked down but they even emailed the official template and the colors so he got it exactly right. This was a few years ago but I would like to think that OSU is pretty easy going especially with this type of stuff.

I think it is always good to get permission though so you don't have to worry about it later.

Be sure to post pictures and let us know how it turn out.