Republicans Increasingly Believe That Education Is Bad For America

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Russian Twitter Bot
A/V Subscriber
Sep 14, 2010
"In July, a Pew Research Center study found that 58 percent of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents believe colleges and universities have a negative effect “on the way things are going in the country"

I am a university full professor with tenure and have been in academia since 1992. I have two advanced degrees including a doctorate, and am about to start work on a masters in bioethics. I clearly believe in the value of higher education. Yet, I wholeheartedly agree with the statement that colleges and universities have a negative effect "on the way things are going in the country." "Republicans believe education is bad for America" is a strawman. Leftist indoctrination is bad for America.

Also, we need skilled craftsmen and laborers. This means vocational-technical education. Not everyone is needs to go to college, and given what leftists have done to the price of college it is increasingly difficult to justify. Again, this had nothing to do with believing education is bad. In fact, it is in support of vocational-technical education.
But Townie is STILL more qualified to comment on academia with his rock-solid strawmen backing him up!
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
GASP, you actually really and truly oppose Republican legislators passing a bill to throw money at private schools in the name of school choice? However, providing tax credits for parents, who send their children to private schools, may be a more acceptable way to do it for you.

By the way, many Republican polliticians would strongly disagree with you that throwing tax money at a problem never fixed it. How do you think Oklahoma City fixed its lack of a pro basketball team?
you, apparently, do not know what "school choice" is.

Look at this ---- PUBLIC Charter Schools

We don't need no edgeukashun
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Puttin another brick in the wall
There are obvious solutions. Students to go to many Christian conservatives schools, such as Liberty University and Oral Roberts University. There is Christian home schooling. Also Republican legislators can try harder to throw money at private schools.

Yes, we need vocational-technical education called Career Tech in Oklahoma. But it would help matters if Republicans didn't cut it.