Reason O-line so bad

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
The offensive line stuff is nothing more than diverting blame away from very, very poor scheme.

When we run scheme that attacks a defenses weakness we haven't had Oline issues

When we simply run our plays irregardless of how the defense plays we have allowed them to play to tendencies and out leverage our line in numbers.

Our Oline issues are way more scheme issues than they are personnel.

All we have to do is have a pull read off of an intentinally unblocked lineman to influence him the wrong way.
Then have a hot or pop off of a blitzing linebacker.

If you leave one Dlineman unblocked and influence him that frees up an olineman either to double down, pull or pick up a blitz.

When you combine one unblocked lineman with pull scheme you end up with 2 double teams at the point of contact.

If you need an example watch OU.

If we would just simply do these things we would be talking about how good they are.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The offensive line stuff is nothing more than diverting blame away from very, very poor scheme.

When we simply run our plays irregardless of how the defense plays we have allowed them to play to tendencies and out leverage our line in numbers.

All we have to do is have a pull read off of an intentinally unblocked lineman to influence him the wrong way.

If you leave one Dlineman unblocked and influence him that frees up an olineman either to double down, pull or pick up a blitz.

When you combine one unblocked lineman with pull scheme you end up with 2 double teams at the point of contact.

If we would just simply do these things we would be talking about how good they are.
The problem is other teams watch film and know our tendencies, someone posted that all of our run plays start from the same spot so I paid particular attention and its true, also TC always rolls out at the same angle and always to the right side (natural for a right handed QB). ISU was sending rushers wide to the spot he rolls to and guess what they had 7 sacks. I'm not giving the O-Line a pass and I agree with you about the scheme making a weakness look even weaker and the head coach using it as an excuse for a poor scheme. There are plenty of plays that we could call that would make TC look a hell of a lot more competent as a QB, would make the O-Line look a hell of a lot better and would keep the team on the field which in turn helps the defense. We have a guru on short plays as an analyst and we are playing the same offense that we have played the last 4 years, chunk it deep and run between the tackles. All of this regardless of the personnel on the field.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
It is obvious that the Oline is really bad. I do not blame this loss on Corndog. I thought he played well. He was simply running for his life most of the time. I reason for the bad Oline is not on Josh Henson. I think it goes back to 2015 and 2016 when Greg Adkins was the Oline coach. Adkins was a poor recruiter. He lost some good recruits who decommited and then comited to other schools. Gundy even fired him after that. Henson brought in some solid Oline recruits in this last class and in the next one coming up. Gundy and Robert Allen overestimated how good this Oline would be. I really think this team will struggle to even make a bowl game. We are going to have to be patient until the young online men mature in the next few years.
Might as well call it what it is...the "nO-line"

Feb 18, 2009
I can't wait for the day when we don't have to keep waiting and waiting for "next season then we'll see improvements" and hearing excuses for why our o line is so bad. The guy currently at the helm should never shoulder any blame, it's always the guy before him's fault. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
What's so galling is that to this point they've been adequate. In my opinion, to go from adequate to worse than just taking up space is a scheme/coaching matter.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I can't wait for the day when we don't have to keep waiting and waiting for "next season then we'll see improvements" and hearing excuses for why our o line is so bad. The guy currently at the helm should never shoulder any blame, it's always the guy before him's fault. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.
You might be waiting a while until Coach Gundy decides to actively seek out hiring excellent recruiting coaches and or personally courts higher rated players.... we won’t see much change until that happens.

Nov 28, 2008

this is true.

Dec 6, 2013

I always enjoy reading your analysis, you seem to know what you're talking about. I say "seem" because my football IQ isn't large enough to know for sure.

If what you're saying is true, it boggles my mind that these coaches can't or won't figure it out.

I have noticed that we are quite predictable with playcalling, can't grasp that either.