Reason O-line so bad

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 26, 2007
It is obvious that the Oline is really bad. I do not blame this loss on Corndog. I thought he played well. He was simply running for his life most of the time. I reason for the bad Oline is not on Josh Henson. I think it goes back to 2015 and 2016 when Greg Adkins was the Oline coach. Adkins was a poor recruiter. He lost some good recruits who decommited and then comited to other schools. Gundy even fired him after that. Henson brought in some solid Oline recruits in this last class and in the next one coming up. Gundy and Robert Allen overestimated how good this Oline would be. I really think this team will struggle to even make a bowl game. We are going to have to be patient until the young online men mature in the next few years.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I can't wait for the day when we don't have to keep waiting and waiting for "next season then we'll see improvements" and hearing excuses for why our o line is so bad. The guy currently at the helm should never shoulder any blame, it's always the guy before him's fault. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

Jun 29, 2007
San Diego,CA
I can't wait for the day when we don't have to keep waiting and waiting for "next season then we'll see improvements" and hearing excuses for why our o line is so bad. The guy currently at the helm should never shoulder any blame, it's always the guy before him's fault. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.
2011 was once in a lifetime

Oct 30, 2007
We were average at best last season and we lost 3 starters in Lundblade, Cochran, & Crabtree. We got Williams back off of injury, but he came back out of shape and he isn't playing at the same level as before he got hurt. The one head scratcher is Marcus Keyes. He seems like he's regressed and there isn't a clear reason why.

This is just Coach Henson's second year. All of his recruits are true freshman. Every offensive lineman on the field was recruited by a different coach. He brought in 5 decent looking prospects last season. He has 4 committed this year. On the surface he looks like a much better recruiter than Atkins & Connelly. We haven't really recruited well in this area since the earlier Wickline years.

I think Henson has a bright future overall, but he needs to find a way to get this year's line up to par.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
2011 was once in a lifetime
So much about that season infuriates me looking back on it. The plane crash, the BARELY (if that) missed FG for the win, the missing of the NCG by the smallest margin ever. I still question if the computers might have been rigged since the formulas weren't public. No evidence for it, but there was nothing stopping it either.

However, you have to admit that if it did happen it wasn't because of ratings. That was the worst rated BCS NCG ever.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
So much about that season infuriates me looking back on it. The plane crash, the BARELY (if that) missed FG for the win, the missing of the NCG by the smallest margin ever. I still question if the computers might have been rigged since the formulas weren't public. No evidence for it, but there was nothing stopping it either.

However, you have to admit that if it did happen it wasn't because of ratings. That was the worst rated BCS NCG ever.
The computers were favorable to us. It was coaches, specifically two or three, that kept us out of the MNC game.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
The play at the 48 second mark stood out to me during the game more than any other. That is when it really hit home with me how lost our lineman were. They played it again on the big screen and zoomed in on Keyes. I don’t know a ton about offensive line schemes, but it seems to me if you are lost then you might want to cut down on the complexity of some of the assignments that comes with pulling guards on pass plays.

Dec 6, 2013
Yeah this.

And if you know your line is bad, then design an offense to mitigate its weakness. Use a cowboy back to protect, ( or recruit a Barry Sanders Sr who can out-juke all 11 defense on his own with no blocking. ) Or design a quick fire offense that doesn't require several seconds of protection.

Unless CornDog can't make those quick slants or quick passes to the sideline or quick when the corner is playing 10 yds off?

Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
The play at the 48 second mark stood out to me during the game more than any other. That is when it really hit home with me how lost our lineman were. They played it again on the big screen and zoomed in on Keyes. I don’t know a ton about offensive line schemes, but it seems to me if you are lost then you might want to cut down on the complexity of some of the assignments that comes with pulling guards on pass plays.
It is embarrassing to give them player numbers in the 70s. Maybe single digits. It hurts to watch.

Dec 21, 2008
This does not seem like the same OL in the spring/summer. Feet look slow, reactions time look slow. I am unsure if teams have just started targeting and exploiting our weaknesses which is what the DCs job is or if we are just this piss poor in talent. OLmen usually take 2-3 yrs to develop then Jr/Sr years they become dependable starters. The void we are in has felt like a 7 yr void, not a 2-3 yr miss which sucks worse

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
yep, I based my entire thoughts that we would be good this year on better O and D line play. Thought the D line would be the strength of the team...I guess it is, but the secondary is so bad that it doesn't matter and the Oline is just awful. We need to improve and quick.