Ranking the Big 12's Wide receivers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
that's not my analysis. lol.
all pro scouts or wvu site mod.

and fwiw bama doesnt recruit and sign players who are not elite talents.
You’re the one that said Simmons was an elite talent, not the article. There’s no denying that Alabama in an elite program, not all of their recruit are elite talents. Nice try.
TJ Simmons is an elite talent who played at run happy Alabama.

Blurb :
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: the West Virginia Mountaineers have landed another transfer from an elite Power 5 program. University of Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver TJ Simmons announced earlier this morning on Twitter that he’ll be making the move to Morgantown to continue his football career.

Sep 9, 2013
You’re the one that said Simmons was an elite talent, not the article. There’s no denying that Alabama in an elite program, not all of their recruit are elite talents. Nice try.
Bama has had number 1 recruiting class in country like 4 of past 5 years. They had record number players drafted this year. I think they recruit at the very highest level. Every one of their recruits could get scholarship at OU, LSU, Ohio State or clemson.

at wvu 4 stars are considered elite heh: "A January 2016 early enrollee who will participate in spring drills … rated as a four-star recruit, the No. 5 player in Alabama by Rivals.com … also listed at the No. 57 overall receiver by Rivals …"

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Bama has had number 1 recruiting class in country like 4 of past 5 years. They had record number players drafted this year. I think they recruit at the very highest level. Every one of their recruits could get scholarship at OU, LSU, Ohio State or clemson.

at wvu 4 stars are considered elite heh: "A January 2016 early enrollee who will participate in spring drills … rated as a four-star recruit, the No. 5 player in Alabama by Rivals.com … also listed at the No. 57 overall receiver by Rivals …"
Alabama is different than most schools in regards to recruiting. They offer a ton of prospects and basically have a try out for the best player. We have seen a lot of 5 star players bust because they were not nearly what they are advertised. In example, look at Texas. The reason they are transferring can be that they are good but not good enough or it could be they are just not good at all. It’s really a gamble unless they played meaningful minutes.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
You won't be saying that by mid October. You just don't know we have slot of 4 star WRs to go along with McCleskey, Stoner and Tyron Johnson as well aa Tylan Wallace who played last year. We are deep at WR again.
I am sure you are, and I feel the same for OU's wrs, but i'm just saying they havent proven anything yet. There's some really good proven talent already in the big 12 is all. They'll get their opportunity no doubt. I'm super pumped about wr depth for the next few years too. Call me crazy but OU might be pacing the country for wr talent if the '19 class is anything like they could be. But that's speculation and a ways away. Honestly unless Sanders starts, I think your wrs may be limited by the qb throwing to 'em.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I am sure you are, and I feel the same for OU's wrs, but i'm just saying they havent proven anything yet. There's some really good proven talent already in the big 12 is all. They'll get their opportunity no doubt. I'm super pumped about wr depth for the next few years too. Call me crazy but OU might be pacing the country for wr talent if the '19 class is anything like they could be. But that's speculation and a ways away. Honestly unless Sanders starts, I think your wrs may be limited by the qb throwing to 'em.
OU will be very good at WR but Kyler Murray throwing the ball? He maybe good but not as accurate as mayfield that I can be sure of. Nonetheless, OU will have a solid offense as usual with Riley.

However, I wouldn’t make the assumption that OSUs QB will be incapable of passing the ball. Cornelius has shown the ability to throw the ball and I have no doubt Dru Brown will be able to as well. They might not be as good as Rudolph but they will be better at the intermediate routes that’s very likely.

Nov 6, 2010
OU will be very good at WR but Kyler Murray throwing the ball? He maybe good but not as accurate as mayfield that I can be sure of. Nonetheless, OU will have a solid offense as usual with Riley.

However, I wouldn’t make the assumption that OSUs QB will be incapable of passing the ball. Cornelius has shown the ability to throw the ball and I have no doubt Dru Brown will be able to as well. They might not be as good as Rudolph but they will be better at the intermediate routes that’s very likely.
And this year the intermediate routes will be more important since we won't have Washington as the deep threat and Ateman as the bailout. T. Johnson can still go deep, but seems like the talent we have coming back this year are more middle of the field guys. Having said that though, McKauffman and Greenwood will be interesting to watch and see what roles they fill.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
And this year the intermediate routes will be more important since we won't have Washington as the deep threat and Ateman as the bailout. T. Johnson can still go deep, but seems like the talent we have coming back this year are more middle of the field guys. Having said that though, McKauffman and Greenwood will be interesting to watch and see what roles they fill.
Johnson, McCleskey, Stoner and Wallace have all shown proven ability to play at a high level. We have 2 more highly rated 4 star recruits in Moore and LC greenwood who will be good.

I think overall we have some good talent and who knows of the RS guys that may play at a high level. We know Johnson is elite. I am fairly confident that this group will produce. Yea, we may not have a James Washington coming back but we have some solid guys.

Nov 6, 2010
Johnson, McCleskey, Stoner and Wallace have all shown proven ability to play at a high level. We have 2 more highly rated 4 star recruits in Moore and LC greenwood who will be good.

I think overall we have some good talent and who knows of the RS guys that may play at a high level. We know Johnson is elite. I am fairly confident that this group will produce. Yea, we may not have a James Washington coming back but we have some solid guys.
Oh I know we have talent, I just think it's a different kind from what we're used to over the last couple years. I think we're gonna be more like the Texas Tech model this year with 4 or 5 guys that are just really hard to cover. Of course that makes QB play even more critical. Probably why Brown is coming in. We all hope Corn Dog can be the guy, but if not, at least Brown is a proven distributor, and with the talent we have at WR, that's what we need.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Well either Murray or Kendall, I like 'em both. Murray did complete 18 of his 21 passes last year so that's something at least. I dont think Osu has a chance to be truly really dangerous unless Sanders plays. Behind the other qbs I feel like the offense would be more limited. Probably still good though, plenty of room to play around strengths

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Well either Murray or Kendall, I like 'em both. Murray did complete 18 of his 21 passes last year so that's something at least. I dont think Osu has a chance to be truly really dangerous unless Sanders plays. Behind the other qbs I feel like the offense would be more limited. Probably still good though, plenty of room to play around strengths
It all depends on our offensive line. If we develop good line play then brown or Cornelius will be fine. Sanders will probably RS would be my guess unless our offensive line is just bad. A lot of factors play into how good OSU will be. I think that osu would be better off if they could get decent line play and RS sanders. Just my opinion

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It all depends on our offensive line. If we develop good line play then brown or Cornelius will be fine. Sanders will probably RS would be my guess unless our offensive line is just bad. A lot of factors play into how good OSU will be. I think that osu would be better off if they could get decent line play and RS sanders. Just my opinion
Our line should be better this year than next.

Aug 16, 2012
Oh I know we have talent, I just think it's a different kind from what we're used to over the last couple years. I think we're gonna be more like the Texas Tech model this year with 4 or 5 guys that are just really hard to cover. Of course that makes QB play even more critical. Probably why Brown is coming in. We all hope Corn Dog can be the guy, but if not, at least Brown is a proven distributor, and with the talent we have at WR, that's what we need.
Sorry, I am not on the "corn dog" bandwagon yet. I could care less who it is...so long as it is the best guy for the job regardless of tenure. I hate the "seniors have paid their dues" mentality. At this level you play the best guy...period. Life is not a participation trophy.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Sorry, I am not on the "corn dog" bandwagon yet. I could care less who it is...so long as it is the best guy for the job regardless of tenure. I hate the "seniors have paid their dues" mentality. At this level you play the best guy...period. Life is not a participation trophy.
Exactly. Who gives a crap what year a guy is. All 3 have talent is the good news.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Sanders is very talented agreed. I think to start the season, 4th is a reasonable WR ranking. Cornelius and Dru Brown can pass though.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Mike Gundy cares. And he's willing to lose games over it.
I don't think this is the case (though I admit I have wondered).

I think Gundy just believes a lot in the intangibles, especially when it comes to the quarterback position. He believes that an experienced player is more consistent and less likely to crack under pressure. Those things are valuable, but you can't necessarily see them on the practice field.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
ZR over Weeden in Bedlam. Plus he's made numerous comments about playing guys that have been here longer because they deserve it. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, actually. I just think if its gonna impact the outcome of games, then it needs to be reconsidered.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
ZR over Weeden in Bedlam. Plus he's made numerous comments about playing guys that have been here longer because they deserve it. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, actually. I just think if its gonna impact the outcome of games, then it needs to be reconsidered.
Yet he also played Lunt over Chelf and Walsh (and later Walsh over Chelf) despite the seniority.