Ranking the Big 12's Wide receivers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
With ProFootballFocus' marvelous scouting at our fingertips, EerSports is taking a look at the top returning players for West Virginia in 2018. But.... what do these ratings mean on their own? A good bit, but what gives them some perspective is where it ranks with the other teams in the Big12 Conference. With that in mind, we're going to take a look at where West Virginia ranks in relation to the Big12 at every position on the field - at least as far as ProFootballFocus is concerned. Then, we'll give some context to those rankings and share some thoughts below. Today, we'll take a look at the wide receiver position. If you missed any of our previous entries in the series, the links are at the bottom and include WVU's rank among the ten Big12 teams.

PFF Rankings
  1. Oklahoma - Marquise Brown (84.9), Ceedee Lamb (81.8), Mykel Jones (69.1) - 235.8
  2. West Virginia - Gary Jennings (80.1), David Sills (79.3), Marcus Simms (75.0) - 234.4
  3. Baylor - Denzel Mims (84.3), Chris Platt (75.6), Pooh Stricklin (68.6) - 228.5
  4. Oklahoma State - Jalen McCleskey (80.0), Tyron Johnson (74.9), Dillon Stoner (71.2) - 226.1
  5. Texas - Collin Johnson (81.8), Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (71.1), Devin Duvernay (52.1) - 205
  6. Kansas - Steven Sims Jr. (82.5), Evan Fairs (71.6), Kerr Johnson (50.5) - 204.6
  7. Iowa State - Hakeem Butler (80.3), Matthew Eaton (71.8), Deshaunte Jones (52.3) - 204.4
  8. TCU - KaVontae Turpin (76.6), Jaelen Reagor (74.4), Jalen Austin (51) - 202
  9. Texas Tech - Antoine Wesley (71.6), Quan Shorts (65.7), T.J. Vasher (58.0) - 195.3
  10. Kansas State - Isaiah Zuber (75.2), Carlos Strickland (60.0), Dominique Heath (54.9) - 190.1
West Virginia has the depth and experience to go with that skill: The Mountaineers are the only team returning a wide receiver with over 800 snaps last year - and they return two in David Sills and Gary Jennings. They're also the only school with three receivers over a 75 grade. All this backs up what WVU fans have felt all offseason: the Mountaineers are loaded at the receiver position. None of this includes TJ Simmons, who had to sit out last season due to NCAA transfer rules and has no rating in ProFootballFocus.

Sep 9, 2013
TJ Simmons is an elite talent who played at run happy Alabama.

Blurb :
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: the West Virginia Mountaineers have landed another transfer from an elite Power 5 program. University of Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver TJ Simmons announced earlier this morning on Twitter that he’ll be making the move to Morgantown to continue his football career.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Whatever metric is used that places the OSU receivers as the fourth best is woefully flawed.
We lost our top 3 WRs so I would say it is still impressive to be 4th.
Also i wonder where we would rank if we included a 4th WR? OU had a pretty big drop off after their top 2 and number 4 would be even lower.
@Nolaeer any idea where Tylan Wallace would rate for OSU? I bet he is pretty close to Stoner

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Whatever metric is used that places the OSU receivers as the fourth best is woefully flawed.
Their top returning wr had 633 yards. I think they have to prove they are better than the already proven talent listed above them. They maybe lucky to be 4th if you ask me, given the returning production.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Their top returning wr had 633 yards. I think they have to prove they are better than the already proven talent listed above them. They maybe lucky to be 4th if you ask me, given the returning production.
You won't be saying that by mid October. You just don't know we have slot of 4 star WRs to go along with McCleskey, Stoner and Tyron Johnson as well aa Tylan Wallace who played last year. We are deep at WR again.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
OSU will be good at WR for the foreseeable future. 2 positions that I rarely worry about at OSU are RB and WR.

OSUs success will depend on the o-line, QB, and defensive secondary. OSUs dline will be fine.

I think people will be surprised how dangerous our team will be if we have a above average QB.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I know I'm biased but I think we have the best unit in the Big 12 by a large margin...we are absolutely filthy with talent at this position.
That is also why our rating is so low on this. It is rating the production of returning players. We lost a lot of catches due to graduation and the guys returning were for the most part "in-training' to take over. Now it will be their turn.

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
With ProFootballFocus' marvelous scouting at our fingertips, EerSports is taking a look at the top returning players for West Virginia in 2018. But.... what do these ratings mean on their own? A good bit, but what gives them some perspective is where it ranks with the other teams in the Big12 Conference. With that in mind, we're going to take a look at where West Virginia ranks in relation to the Big12 at every position on the field - at least as far as ProFootballFocus is concerned. Then, we'll give some context to those rankings and share some thoughts below. Today, we'll take a look at the wide receiver position. If you missed any of our previous entries in the series, the links are at the bottom and include WVU's rank among the ten Big12 teams.

PFF Rankings
  1. Oklahoma - Marquise Brown (84.9), Ceedee Lamb (81.8), Mykel Jones (69.1) - 235.8
  2. West Virginia - Gary Jennings (80.1), David Sills (79.3), Marcus Simms (75.0) - 234.4
  3. Baylor - Denzel Mims (84.3), Chris Platt (75.6), Pooh Stricklin (68.6) - 228.5
  4. Oklahoma State - Jalen McCleskey (80.0), Tyron Johnson (74.9), Dillon Stoner (71.2) - 226.1
  5. Texas - Collin Johnson (81.8), Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (71.1), Devin Duvernay (52.1) - 205
  6. Kansas - Steven Sims Jr. (82.5), Evan Fairs (71.6), Kerr Johnson (50.5) - 204.6
  7. Iowa State - Hakeem Butler (80.3), Matthew Eaton (71.8), Deshaunte Jones (52.3) - 204.4
  8. TCU - KaVontae Turpin (76.6), Jaelen Reagor (74.4), Jalen Austin (51) - 202
  9. Texas Tech - Antoine Wesley (71.6), Quan Shorts (65.7), T.J. Vasher (58.0) - 195.3
  10. Kansas State - Isaiah Zuber (75.2), Carlos Strickland (60.0), Dominique Heath (54.9) - 190.1
West Virginia has the depth and experience to go with that skill: The Mountaineers are the only team returning a wide receiver with over 800 snaps last year - and they return two in David Sills and Gary Jennings. They're also the only school with three receivers over a 75 grade. All this backs up what WVU fans have felt all offseason: the Mountaineers are loaded at the receiver position. None of this includes TJ Simmons, who had to sit out last season due to NCAA transfer rules and has no rating in ProFootballFocus.

Stupid...Stupid...stupid...stupid. The quality of WR corps will be determined by production and depth, not starters based on somebody’s subjective analysis based on their pro potential. Where is OSUks Patrick McCaufman, or the Alexander twins, or all of the stud Freshmen, both true and red-shirt that will be seeing playing time. Where is the mention of all of the WVU players that have transferred out, leaving them with dangerously thin depth that will take years to mend?

Also, who put this pile of garbage together. Reggie Hemphill-Mapps won’t be playing for Texas next year. Dillon Stoner and Jalen McClesky are both slot receivers and will rarely be on the field at the same time. Where is he recognition that David Sims production greatly dropped off during the second half of he season, because Big 12 DCs figured out how to contain him?

Stupid...stupid...stupid...stupid

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
TJ Simmons is an elite talent who played at run happy Alabama.

Blurb :
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: the West Virginia Mountaineers have landed another transfer from an elite Power 5 program. University of Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver TJ Simmons announced earlier this morning on Twitter that he’ll be making the move to Morgantown to continue his football career.
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but if TJ Simmons “played” at Alabama, it wasn’t much, given his stat line there is zero receptions, zero rushes and one solo tackle on special teams.

As for an “elite talent,” what are you smoking? Simmons was the #59 receiver in the 2016 class. Not exactly elite. So given his high school production was solid, but not elite and his college production is nonexistent, where do you get off with calling him “elite?”

If you want to see elite, how about looking up Tyron Johnson? He was the #5 rated receiver in his class, behind two “elite” receivers who were just early draftees in the NFL Draft (Calvin Ridley and Christian Kirk). Kirk was a five star out of HS with a rating of .9891. By comparison, Johnson rated a nearly identical .9879, also garnering him five stars and your elite Mr. Simmons rated .8887, earning HIM three stars.

What would be interesting would be for you to explain where four star WVU recruit Jevon Durante Is now? Or what happened to four star WVU recruit Steven Smothers? They’re gone aren’t they? William Crest is gone, too.

However, the Pokes still will have he services of four star recruits Tylan Wallace, LC Greenwood and CJ Moore.

The WVU receiver corps has three solid receivers, but behind them? Nothing. The OSU receiver corps is loaded and deep. Your analysis is a joke.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Durante is at FAU.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but if TJ Simmons “played” at Alabama, it wasn’t much, given his stat line there is zero receptions, zero rushes and one solo tackle on special teams.

As for an “elite talent,” what are you smoking? Simmons was the #59 receiver in the 2016 class. Not exactly elite. So given his high school production was solid, but not elite and his college production is nonexistent, where do you get off with calling him “elite?”

If you want to see elite, how about looking up Tyron Johnson? He was the #5 rated receiver in his class, behind two “elite” receivers who were just early draftees in the NFL Draft (Calvin Ridley and Christian Kirk). Kirk was a five star out of HS with a rating of .9891. By comparison, Johnson rated a nearly identical .9879, also garnering him five stars and your elite Mr. Simmons rated .8887, earning HIM three stars.

What would be interesting would be for you to explain where four star WVU recruit Jevon Durante Is now? Or what happened to four star WVU recruit Steven Smothers? They’re gone aren’t they? William Crest is gone, too.

However, the Pokes still will have he services of four star recruits Tylan Wallace, LC Greenwood and CJ Moore.

The WVU receiver corps has three solid receivers, but behind them? Nothing. The OSU receiver corps is loaded and deep. Your analysis is a joke.

Sep 9, 2013
that's not my analysis. lol.
all pro scouts or wvu site mod.

and fwiw bama doesnt recruit and sign players who are not elite talents.

Last edited: