Ranking Big 12 qbs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
Offseason expectations for West Virginia Mountaineers quarterback Will Grier are continuing to pile up. Pro scouts grade him as the top returning quarterback in the country. Athlon Sports named himthe top signal caller in the country. And a pair of CBSSports analysts say he's the top NFL Draft prospect for 2019. Now you can add NFL Network's Bucky Brooks - a former NFL scout and executive - to the list of believers. This week, he named Grier one of the five NFL quarterback prospects in the country this season.

The ex-Florida standout enters his second season as the Mountaineers' QB1 after transferring from the Gators in the midst of a one-year suspension for violating the NCAA's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. He's as good as advertised as a gunslinger. Grier displays A-plus arm talent as a quick-rhythm passer with outstanding range and a feathery touch. He's one of the few passers in college football who can pick apart defenses as a scheduled thrower or as an improvisational wizard from the pocket. With an impressive resume that includes a strong completion percentage (64.4) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (34:12) in WVU's Air Raid-like system that features a lot of NFL throws, Grier could be the next Big 12 quarterback to land at the No. 1 spot on the board.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
I think Grier is a great QB don't get me wrong. I would love to have him slinging it for us this year. However, I'd be willing to bet just about anything he will not be the "Top NFL draft prospect of 2019". Bosa, Ed Oliver, Ferrell, a few Bama guys, a few LSU guys, etc. will go before him.

Oct 30, 2007
That’s not even close to a good comparison. Texas had a very strong defense. And we won on the road. Not even close to a legit comparison
A better comparison would be what Mason Rudolph did in the bedlam game a couple years ago. He had a really good year, but he fell apart in the sloppy conditions. Will Grier did the same thing against us last season.

If you look at the stats from last season, Grier is the 2nd best returning passer from the power 5. He would've been the top returning P5 passer if he didn't miss most of the last 3 games. The mountaineers are going to be a tough team to beat next season if they can get their defense back up to par.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I would put Kyler Murray in the top 2 or 3. Lincoln Riley is possibly the best offensive mind in college football and will put Kyler in a position to make all the throws he needs to make plus pick up a bunch of yards rushing.
Agreed. I don't think he'll be as good as Mayfield but pretty dang good and they have lots of talent around him. I actually think he'll go pro in baseball but if not. . Then I'd say that the kid behind is really good and will lead them to 10 wins too.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
A better comparison would be what Mason Rudolph did in the bedlam game a couple years ago. He had a really good year, but he fell apart in the sloppy conditions. Will Grier did the same thing against us last season.

If you look at the stats from last season, Grier is the 2nd best returning passer from the power 5. He would've been the top returning P5 passer if he didn't miss most of the last 3 games. The mountaineers are going to be a tough team to beat next season if they can get their defense back up to par.
Agreed. Thankfully we are in Stillwater.

Mar 8, 2010
Unfortunately, who ever uo's starting q-back will be will probably be in the top two. Riley really has in going down there. I hope we can get as luck when Gundy retires.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Last year was the year of the Big 12 QB, as all 7 major national awards* were won by Big 12 QBs.

* Mayfield: AP POY, Heisman, Maxwell, Walter Camp, Davey O’Brien
Rudolph: Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm
Exactly! He must have meant year of the lack there of QB.
2017- huge as you pointed out
2011- BW, RG3, Landry, Tannehill, Kline
2008 - Colt, Bradford, ZR, Chase, Harrell, Reesing.

That’s just off the top of my head. I don’t think anyone is excited about Big12 QBs this year.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
With ProFootballFocus' marvelous scouting at our fingertips, EerSports is taking a look at the top returning players for West Virginia in 2018. But.... what do these ratings mean on their own? A good bit, but what gives them some perspective is where it ranks with the other teams in the Big12 Conference. With that in mind, we're going to take a look at where West Virginia ranks in relation to the Big12 at every position on the field - at least as far as ProFootballFocus is concerned. Then, we'll give some context to those rankings and share some thoughts below. Today, we'll take a look at the quarterback position.

PFF Ratings

1. Will Grier, West Virginia - 91.7 rating
2. Dru Brown, Oklahoma State - 79.8
3. Kyle Kempt, Iowa State - 79.6
4. Charlie Brewer, Baylor - 79.3
5. Sam Ehlinger, Texas - 77.9
6. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma - 70.2
7. Skyler Thompson, Kansas State - 68.2
8. Peyton Bender, Kansas - 55.1
9. Shawn Robinson, TCU - 52.1
10. McLane Carter, Texas Tech - 45.9
This is probably fairly accurate. It was project Dru Brown to start. I've heard he's pretty good but we'll see. It would allow Spencer Sanders who i know will be a baller to red shirt and learn and let the game slow down a bit before he plays.

Sep 9, 2013
Collegefootball news:

Guessing The Preseason Regular Season Win Total Will Be Set At … 8.5
Again, don’t assume that much of a drop-off, if any.
The Cowboys should roll through Missouri State and South Alabama, and while Boise State will be tough, that’s a home game. With five of the first six games in Stillwater, and the road game in the bunch at Kansas, they’ll get off to a huge start before having to go to Kansas State.
Assume a loss at Oklahoma – sorry – and two defeats among at Kansas State, Texas, West Virginia and at TCU. Last year’s team lost three games, and it was better than this one.
Eight wins is about right, with a fourth bowl win in five years making it a respectable nine-win campaign overall.