Rank big 12 football coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I have always given Gundy a pass because I remember year after crappy year my entire life following this program. I am however getting tired of his schtick. He’s so bitter when answering any kind of challenging question. He’s been given so much to recruit to and yet he has settled into putting these 3 star recruiting classes because he says he can’t get 4 and 5 star kids. Just show me some improvement every once in a while but I think we can do better than challenging every 5-6 years when we get lucky with a few diamonds in the rough.

Mar 8, 2010
Gundy's done wonderful things for this program, but OSU is like every other program in that it has to use the "what have you done for me lately" test for it's HC and Gundy currently has a D- in my books. His arrogance and mullet are hard to take when his teams under perform on the field. If he can't get us back to the ten win level again this year which seems highly unlikely at this point then he needs to go. I'd rank him 9th or 10th this year. OSU deserves better than that for what we're paying him.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Gundy's done wonderful things for this program, but OSU is like every other program in that it has to use the "what have you done for me lately" test for it's HC and Gundy currently has a D- in my books. His arrogance and mullet are hard to take when his teams under perform on the field. If he can't get us back to the ten win level again this year which seems highly unlikely at this point then he needs to go. I'd rank him 9th or 10th this year. OSU deserves better than that for what we're paying him.
What? You think we should have 10 wins this season? I think that’s unrealistic considering our QB situation and lack of DL and LB depth. Going into the season, this was clearly going to be a rebuilding year. I assumed we would get 7-8 wins this season, which is still probable.

I’m not even sure we should expect 10 wins next season, but I think that is possible. I think we should expect 10 win seasons in 2021 and 2022 and competing for the conference. Otherwise, Gundy’s just not getting it done.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
He’s not going anywhere, so I’ve decided to give through the Sanders years before I completely give up on him. He just needs to get his sh*t together. Soon.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
1. OU - Hiring Yurcich instead of Riley as our OC back in 2013 was one of the worst decisions of Coach Gundy's career. Riley has been really impressive in his short time as a HC.
2. TCU - Greatness is measured by championship. Patterson has 6 conference championships in his career, including one in the Big 12. Coach Gundy could pass him with another conference championship though.
3. OSU - Coach Gundy has fallen short of greatness, but he's consistently been really good.
4. UT - The Longhorns aren't back, but they've gotten a lot better under Herman.
5. ISU - You have to put Campbell before Rhule because he's accomplished more.
6. BU - Rhule has done a good job at Baylor, but his best record so far is 7-6. He could move up after this year.
7. KU - Les is the only coach in the Big 12 with a national championship under his belt. I think you have to put him ahead of all of the rest of the new coaches based off his past.
8. KSU - I think Kleiman was a great hire by KSU. He won a NC in 4 of his 5 years as a head coach at the FCS level. It might take him awhile to build his program, but I think he'll have success.
9 & 10 Tie between TTU & WVU. I don't know that much about either coach, and neither of their resumes jump off the page. So I can't really rank them.
Patterson just lost to SMU............ at home. I'm guessing most peoples' list would be different if we would have beaten Tech..........

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I don't think conference USA & Mountain West championships should count. Patterson's won 1 Big 12 championship.
And it was shared with Rapelor. Not an outright champion. No conference championship game, so no telling how that would have turned out. Would they have lost to Rapelor again or would they have won to be outright conference champs?

Mar 8, 2010
What? You think we should have 10 wins this season? I think that’s unrealistic considering our QB situation and lack of DL and LB depth. Going into the season, this was clearly going to be a rebuilding year. I assumed we would get 7-8 wins this season, which is still probable.

I’m not even sure we should expect 10 wins next season, but I think that is possible. I think we should expect 10 win seasons in 2021 and 2022 and competing for the conference. Otherwise, Gundy’s just not getting it done.
You are probably right, 10 wins is not realistic. I guess I'm just still a little bitter for the coaches doing such a poor job of getting our guys ready for a really bad TT team. It gets so old. We're paying Gundy too much for this kind of performance.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You are probably right, 10 wins is not realistic. I guess I'm just still a little bitter for the coaches doing such a poor job of getting our guys ready for a really bad TT team. It gets so old. We're paying Gundy too much for this kind of performance.
Understandable. It was a very poorly prepared team out there. I have hope that they’ll turn it around though.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
And when they are prepared, like against UT, he manages to screw it up in a completely different way. Basketball and baseball are right around the corner. Just keep repeating that for the next few months.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And when they are prepared, like against UT, he manages to screw it up in a completely different way. Basketball and baseball are right around the corner. Just keep repeating that for the next few months.
I agree it’s frustrating, but with the talent on this team, I think there are still highs to come. Unfortunately, with our maturity, it will come with some lows.

Sep 9, 2013
Gundy, when motivated, is very very good. les Miles, when younger, won a title. Hard to rank some of these coaches bc they are past their primes(maybe).

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor

So Chuba and Tylan are at the peak of their powers this year and probably won't be coming back. You are calling THIS the rebuilding year? Hoo boy are you in for a rude awakening. This year, given the hype that SS received, we should be competing within the top three of the conference.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
So Chuba and Tylan are at the peak of their powers this year and probably won't be coming back. You are calling THIS the rebuilding year? Hoo boy are you in for a rude awakening. This year, given the hype that SS received, we should be competing within the top three of the conference.
Top three, eh? Like 8 wins did for Iowa State last year? That’s about what I expected. It could still happen, and I think it might.
A03FB7ED-B36A-42CF-8EA7-30F575BBA61C.jpeg

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I agree it’s frustrating, but with the talent on this team, I think there are still highs to come. Unfortunately, with our maturity, it will come with some lows.
Sounds like the kind of team that could pull off great games against ranked teams and fall asleep on average teams.

Like last year.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
He’s not going anywhere, so I’ve decided to give through the Sanders years before I completely give up on him. He just needs to get his sh*t together. Soon.
I think Illingworth will knock your socks off. He is Gleeson’s recruit of choice. I don’t know if Sanders will even be the quarterback next year unless he improves a lot. Illingworth is supposed to be here in January so he should be ready to go next year.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Look at Nebraska since they fired Frank Solich (sp?) for only winning 9 games. Everything in perspective it's a pretty steep drop from where we are to where we may be because were tired of going to a so/so bowl game every year. I'm not here saying I'm in any way satisfied with the coaching especially the last 4 years +, or the recruiting as far as that goes. I just don't want to end up like Nebraska.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Look at Nebraska since they fired Frank Solich (sp?) for only winning 9 games. Everything in perspective it's a pretty steep drop from where we are to where we may be because were tired of going to a so/so bowl game every year. I'm not here saying I'm in any way satisfied with the coaching especially the last 4 years +, or the recruiting as far as that goes. I just don't want to end up like Nebraska.
I think most of us on the “Gundy’s lost it” train would be thrilled with 9 wins and feel like those days are gone and it’s doubtful he’s going to get us back there. I feel like we’re past Solich and we’re now in the Callahan phase. Hopefully we beat BU, go on a little run until Bedlam, something something OU, win our bowl game and end up with 9 wins.