Rank big 12 football coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
I know this thread has been done previous years but with new coaches in conference curious how they rank
1. OU In a league of his own offensively
2. Baylor he has been extremely good and will be on everyone's radar
3.TCU Down year but year after year they are tough and gritty
4. Iowa state Another guy that could be at big time school soon.
5. Texas can't stand the guy but I think is doing a really good job
6.OSU has dropped a spot or two doesn't seem to coach with same edge
7.Kstate really like the guy time will tell
8. Texas tech. We made him look like he should be no 1 on list
9. Kansas douche bag will cheat but will make Kansas better
10. West Virginia ???

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Not sure this is the best week for this. I'm pretty down on our coaching staff right now. They got completely out coached by Tech. So wherever that group falls, Gundy and Co. should fall somewhere behind that.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
@OSUDave did a survey of OSU fans at the beginning of the season. Might get different results now.
CF21BF9C-636B-448C-803D-A8BC16209F7C.jpeg

Fans also predicted 8 regular season wins. And if we only lose to Iowa State and OU in our remaining games, we will have matched the win total and only lost to the most difficult teams. I’m surprised TT was in our 4 toughest opponents. Prescient?
BA54E4C5-C956-475A-A080-32077D7C2983.jpeg

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I know this thread has been done previous years but with new coaches in conference curious how they rank
1. OU In a league of his own offensively
2. Baylor he has been extremely good and will be on everyone's radar
3.TCU Down year but year after year they are tough and gritty
4. Iowa state Another guy that could be at big time school soon.
5. Texas can't stand the guy but I think is doing a really good job
6.OSU has dropped a spot or two doesn't seem to coach with same edge
7.Kstate really like the guy time will tell
8. Texas tech. We made him look like he should be no 1 on list
9. Kansas douche bag will cheat but will make Kansas better
10. West Virginia ???
The coaches at Baylor and ISU are hoping they can accomplish as much as Gundy has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
1. OU - Hiring Yurcich instead of Riley as our OC back in 2013 was one of the worst decisions of Coach Gundy's career. Riley has been really impressive in his short time as a HC.
2. TCU - Greatness is measured by championship. Patterson has 6 conference championships in his career, including one in the Big 12. Coach Gundy could pass him with another conference championship though.
3. OSU - Coach Gundy has fallen short of greatness, but he's consistently been really good.
4. UT - The Longhorns aren't back, but they've gotten a lot better under Herman.
5. ISU - You have to put Campbell before Rhule because he's accomplished more.
6. BU - Rhule has done a good job at Baylor, but his best record so far is 7-6. He could move up after this year.
7. KU - Les is the only coach in the Big 12 with a national championship under his belt. I think you have to put him ahead of all of the rest of the new coaches based off his past.
8. KSU - I think Kleiman was a great hire by KSU. He won a NC in 4 of his 5 years as a head coach at the FCS level. It might take him awhile to build his program, but I think he'll have success.
9 & 10 Tie between TTU & WVU. I don't know that much about either coach, and neither of their resumes jump off the page. So I can't really rank them.

Apr 13, 2007
Whoever coaches Oklahoma and Texas are the best.

The rest you can just throw them in a hat.

I might rate Brown better but will wait and see.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Big 12 career winning percentages (complete seasons):
1. Riley OU 18-2 90% (small data base)
2. Herman UT 12-6 67% (small data base)
3. Gundy, OSU 72-48 60%
4. Patterson TCU 36-24 57%
5. Campbell ISU 13-15 46% (small data base)
6. Rhule Baylor 5-13 28% (small data base)
7-10. Tie for the Klieman, Miles, Brown, Wells with less than one year of record.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Big 12 career winning percentages (complete seasons):
1. Riley OU 18-2 90% (small data base)
2. Herman UT 12-6 67% (small data base)
3. Gundy, OSU 72-48 60%
4. Patterson TCU 36-24 57%
5. Campbell ISU 13-15 46% (small data base)
6. Rhule Baylor 5-13 28% (small data base)
7-10. Tie for the Klieman, Miles, Brown, Wells with less than one year of record.
Yeah, I don’t get all the love for Patterson. Most of his success was in the Mountain West. Though, if Gundy keeps sliding, Patterson will pass him on this list.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Give Patterson Boones money and it's not close
Can you elaborate? He has had some decent defenses, but even that has been hit/miss against Big XII offenses. His assistant coaching hires have been average. They have lost against lesser opponents. Recruitment + talent development doesn’t blow me away. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good coach. I just don’t think, as of today, he’s head and shoulders above Gundy.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
The coaches at Baylor and ISU are hoping they can accomplish as much as Gundy has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I agree with what you're saying, it's not really relevant anymore. The key word in your post is has. Based on the last season and a half, I think Gundy has lost it. What exactly "it" is is hard to define. My guess is "it" is the willingness to work hard, to put the team over his ego, to let a young guy like Gleeson take the reins of the offense and stay out his way. I could probably come up with more, but it's too depressing. This has probably been the case going back farther, but Mason and Washington covered up for his deficiencies for a year or two. Even then, it doesn't seem like he ever accomplished what we all thought he would with those two. Especially their last season when we all thought we had a great chance to win the Big XII and we weren't even really close. 3rd place beind TCU and out of the race by mid-November.

To me, MG is a former offensive innovator who used to be ahead of the curve but has now been surpassed by 20-30 coaches around the county but refuses to accept it. He either still thinks he's an offensive guru or, even worse, he knows he's not and doesn't really care to change anything. As long as that $4.5 mil keeps rolling in every year, he's content. Basically, we have Mack Brown circa 2010-2011. He's going to hang on as long as he can and keep cashing those checks. Maybe SS will prove to be a program changer (or savior in our case) and he'll rediscover that fire. As least that's what I'm hoping, but I don't feel very optimistic about it happening. As far as where I'd rank him, I'd put him behind everybody but Miles (not buying what he's selling). It's hard to rank the new guys on 5 games, so I'd rank them on their past experience until proven otherwise one way or the other. I know they are motivated, so they have that on us at least. So I suppose I'd rank him 9th until he proves otherwise on the field.

1. Riley
2. Herman
3. Rhule
4. Campbell
5. Patterson
6. Klieman
7. Brown
8. Wells
9. Gundy
10. Miles

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
While I agree with what you're saying, it's not really relevant anymore. The key word in your post is has. Based on the last season and a half, I think Gundy has lost it. What exactly "it" is is hard to define. My guess is "it" is the willingness to work hard, to put the team over his ego, to let a young guy like Gleeson take the reins of the offense and stay out his way. I could probably come up with more, but it's too depressing. This has probably been the case going back farther, but Mason and Washington covered up for his deficiencies for a year or two. Even then, it doesn't seem like he ever accomplished what we all thought he would with those two. Especially their last season when we all thought we had a great chance to win the Big XII and we weren't even really close. 3rd place beind TCU and out of the race by mid-November.

To me, MG is a former offensive innovator who used to be ahead of the curve but has now been surpassed by 20-30 coaches around the county but refuses to accept it. He either still thinks he's an offensive guru or, even worse, he knows he's not and doesn't really care to change anything. As long as that $4.5 mil keeps rolling in every year, he's content. Basically, we have Mack Brown circa 2010-2011. He's going to hang on as long as he can and keep cashing those checks. Maybe SS will prove to be a program changer (or savior in our case) and he'll rediscover that fire. As least that's what I'm hoping, but I don't feel very optimistic about it happening. As far as where I'd rank him, I'd put him behind everybody but Miles (not buying what he's selling). It's hard to rank the new guys on 5 games, so I'd rank them on their past experience until proven otherwise one way or the other. I know they are motivated, so they have that on us at least. So I suppose I'd rank him 9th until he proves otherwise on the field.

1. Riley
2. Herman
3. Rhule
4. Campbell
5. Patterson
6. Klieman
7. Brown
8. Wells
9. Gundy
10. Miles
Very well put.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I believe Les Miles is 20-23 in the big 12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Not at KU. I was just recapping conference win % at their current school. I should have said that in the original post. My thinking is Riley at OU is going to be a different win % than Riley at KU; part of the equation is the school at which they coach. But even at 20-23, adding the OSU time in will probably help his % versus what he's going to do at KU..........

Last edited: