Random Bedlam Memories

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1976 we were sowing wheat during the game and my grandfather (Oklahoma A&M grad) and I went out to fill the drill after the game. My father, a fan of all things goon, was listening to the game on the radio as were we in the pickup. I have never seen my father less inclined to talk about anything. I asked grandpa why he didn't give dad a hard time and he said those words that have been enblazed on my mind, "Act like you've been there before".
...sounds like gramps just wanted you to give your Dad, obviously a disappointment, a mulligan. ;) I, on the other hand, come from a goon free family tree and when we beat them we don't "act like we have been there before" because clearly we haven't. lol. It's a big day when we do...I get cell calls from all over the planet when it happens. I'm hoping I have to put my phone on silent this weekend.

Mar 8, 2010
My first one as a young boy. 1958 when Bobby Boyd bailed the goons our late in the fourth quarter with a long punt return to set up the games only TD. Gooners won 7-0. Been a uo hater ever since.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Freshman year, '98, what a way to start out.
01', pepperoni at Hideaway with the game on, everyone goes crazy then we all walk up Knoblock to watch IMac, Melvin, Fred, Andre, TC, Bug and Mo Baker go to WORK! The atmosphere was insane.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
98 was the year the goalpost got passed up the stadium and thank God they didn't toss it over.....that was scary watching that
The best was the 2011 beat-down
Worst was the Parker drop... the Rockins onside kick that wasn't supposed to be off of the helmet....
And the Caleb Lavey whiff on Bell at the goal line...

And the missed 2 pt converter last year
And several Pat Jones fails

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Still haven't thawed out from 1985. I sat on the front row.... the 27 rows in front of me stayed home.
I sat in the West end zone, which wasn't where my seats were. My seats were on the South side with the wind coming from the North. I thought I would be safer in the WEZ. However, the wind swirled and hit me right in the face. I covered myself with a tarp. It was frozen by the end of the game.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
98 was the year the goalpost got passed up the stadium and thank God they didn't toss it over.....that was scary watching that
The best was the 2011 beat-down
Worst was the Parker drop... the Rockins onside kick that wasn't supposed to be off of the helmet....
And the Caleb Lavey whiff on Bell at the goal line...

And the missed 2 pt converter last year
And several Pat Jones fails
My son was 8 at that game. My ex took the kids down on the field while they were tearing down the East goal post. I wasn't worried because the kids were in the west end zone. Then the crowd moved quickly to the West goal post. I looked down and someone had hoisted my son up onto the cross bar. I nearly crapped my pants.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
My favorite Bedlam memory was 2001 in Norman. Josh Fields and Rashaun Woods, The Catch. The best play of the game was on that final drive. Roy Williams intercepted the ball, TD-Bryant took it away from him. Just plain took it away from an All American safety. Bryant simply wanted it more.

The defense got after Nate Hybl so bad that I almost felt sorry for him. I swear he didn't throw one time all night without getting hit.

That was a team that was hungry.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My favorite Bedlam memory was 2001 in Norman. Josh Fields and Rashaun Woods, The Catch. The best play of the game was on that final drive. Roy Williams intercepted the ball, TD-Bryant took it away from him. Just plain took it away from an All American safety. Bryant simply wanted it more.

The defense got after Nate Hybl so bad that I almost felt sorry for him. I swear he didn't throw one time all night without getting hit.

What's crazy is that "hungry" team only won 4 games...one of them being @ Norman. The next year was awesome in Stillwater where we won to go 8-5 that year. This year it's for 9 wins and only four losses...IF we win I think we get the bowl as well...Gotta get err done.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I hope our team is that hungry this year. It certainly seems like it with the way we've gritted out these last couple of wins.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

I was listening to Boob Stoops on Eischbach's show the night before. The Monday after was some of the best radio ever.

Senrab

Wrangler
Oct 7, 2013
I've seen a lot from years we won, and it's certainly easier to remember fondly those games. But I'm going to go out and say 2006. (https://www.tulsaworld.com/archive/...cle_8226afb2-c5e7-55c2-b8e6-0fbe527d6e2f.html)

It was my first Bedlam as an alumnus. Dad was an OU alum, which always made for fun Bedlam (and college football) watching. (OK, I'll put on my fire protection...) I brought Dad to Stillwater for the game. He was, of course, dressed in that awful shade of red, and I was in plenty of OSU Orange. We tailgated before the game (he was welcomed with open arms) and braved Eskimo Joe's for some cheese fries. Even though we were cheering for the opposite side of the ball the entire day, and as much as I'd rather Robinson's pass to have been pulled in by Woods, it's one of my favorite memories with Dad and, consequentially, Bedlam.

Aug 14, 2019
OKC, OK
I made every bedlam game from 1983 to 2006. Memories good and bad.

1983 - Chris Rockins ball off the helmet on the kickoff
1984 - #1 vs #2 (in UPI poll anyway) Great game despite the loss.
1988 - My :Ddropped pass in the end zone. Garret's unsportsmanlike penalty was a joke as I was right there.
1995 - Huge win in Norman!
1997 - We ran it down their throats.
2001 - Won as a 20 plus point underdog on the road.
2002 - They were so unprepared for our offensive game plan. On the old orangepower.com we had a chat room the night before and one of the members with inside information said that with Les Mile's strategy against the OU defense, it would be over by halftime.
2014 - Our most famous kick return and one of Stoops biggest blunders. I was having dinner at Benny's Chop House in Chicago and watched the end on my phone.
2018 - I swear the Sooners are the luckiest team on the planet. Should of lost to us and Army in 2018.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I’m pretty partial to Bedlam 2006. Beat down OU in the first two games. Then, in the postgame interviews after the second game the OU pitcher shot off his mouth about how OU would probably put up 15 runs tomorrow. We went on to blank them 4-0 behind a strong start from Oliver Odle and a good day at the plate from Jordy Mercer. Postgame, Steve Ptak (or Clarkson the catcher, it’s disputed who actually did it) handed the OU pitcher that mornings sports page with his quote highlighted. Pistol Pete had been dancing on OU’s dugout with a broom for several minutes already and a brawl almost happened. Golloway and Anderson exchanged unpleasant comments. Then the state’s newspapers wrote crybaby articles about it for Monday’s sports pages. It was hilarious.

Oh, wait. Is this thread about football???

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
1976 Bedlam at Norman. OSU's first offensive series. Third and a long 2 from our own 28. Option pitch to Terry Miller. He jukes the corner and outruns the Sooner defensive backs for a 72 yard TD. I was DM of the Cowboy Marching Band, and we were in the end zone - I was down on the playing surface and he was running directly at me. I could hear his measured puffing like a freight train through his mouth guard from the 5 yard line through the end zone. Yelling and directing the band.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
It was fun to go back through our photo archives for some of the galleries we've been sharing this week. Here's some links:
Bedlam 2014 gallery: OSU's 38-35 overtime upset on the road over OU
5483a7c51167c.image.jpg
Bedlam 2017 gallery: OSU hosts ESPN GameDay
5dd82eee58788.image.jpg

As long as I'm here, here's some of our pregame coverage so far this week:

From Eric Bailey: Canadians can be proud of outstanding play of OSU's Hubbard, OU's Gallimore

Neville Gallimore and Chuba Hubbard are proud Canadians who have become household names in Oklahoma. Oklahoma’s Gallimore, a defensive tackle, has been mentioned as a possible NFL first-round draft pick next year, while running back Hubbard of Oklahoma State leads the nation in rushing yards.

Gallimore said he admires Hubbard, whom he has not met since they came from different sides of Canada. Gallimore is from Ottawa and Hubbard is from Sherwood Park in Alberta.

“Just from the outside looking in, (Hubbard is) another Canadian who has a dream of trying to play ball at the highest level,” Gallimore said. “There’s definitely a lot of value in that. There’s always a love seeing a guy come from the same country as you. You understand what adversity you’ve got to come through.”
From Guerin Emig: Mike Gundy's 'one-man show' comments about Jalen Hurts ring with truth, psychology

“This is a triple-option team; it’s just disguised as a spread,” Gundy said. “You’ve gotta tackle (Hurts). You’ve gotta make plays on him. I mean, it’s a one-man show.”

Considering that Hurts has also thrown the ball 115 times over his past four games, it is hard to argue Gundy’s declaration. He spoke some truth Monday.

In doing so, he simultaneously preyed on some fear within OU’s following, where fans wonder whether this offense, whatever you want to call it, can get the Sooners where they want to go.
From Bill Haisten: Limited number of Bedlam football tickets remain available

Since 2008, one OSU home game has been designated as the premium date on the schedule. For that premium game, OSU fans are admitted only if they have purchased a season ticket.

As of Monday, OSU’s 2019 season-ticket sales total was 46,963 — the sixth-highest total in program history. That means a limited number of Bedlam tickets are available. Essentially, it’s a one-game season ticket.

If purchased through Oklahoma State (okstate.com/tickets), prices start at $300. On ticketmaster.com (OSU’s official resale partner), prices start at $139 and the overall average is $203.
From Frank Bonner II: Backup quarterback Dru Brown gets his chance as the OSU starter

His demeanor never changed. Brown continued to prepare and practice each week, despite not winning the starting spot.

“Obviously, he didn’t get the news at the beginning of the year that he probably wanted,” offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson said. “But the way he went to work thereafter and continued to study, stay in every meeting, counsel Spencer and practice his tail off through a trying time ... if he had gone the other direction, he probably wouldn’t have been ready for this moment.”

Brown said something he always has done is “prepare like I was going to play.”

“I’ve been on both sides of it. I’ve been a starter and I’ve been a backup,” he said. “The worst thing I would want to do, not only to myself but to my teammates, is be unprepared when my number is called.”
Have a good holiday weekend!

Feb 25, 2008
1976 - Family went to Branson with my Aunt's family - Toured the cave. When we went into the cave OSU was behind. When we came out of the cave OSU had won the game. Too bad radio waves don't penetrate into a cave.

1985 - Ice Bowl - Mom and step dad decided to stay home and watch the game by the fireplace on our "big screen" (seems small now). Girlfriend (now wife) and I went to the game. We prepared, dress warm, sat in sleeping bags, and it really wasn't too bad until the 4th quarter. Got back to the car (76 grand prix). Driver's side door frozen shut. Passenger side frozen worse. Got into the driver's side but the door wouldn't stay closed. Looped a blanket through the pull handle of the door and drove home.

1992 - Ending in a tie after ou chose to kick a field goal on 4th down instead of going for the win. That tie kept them from being bowl eligible that year.

1995 - Went to the game in Norman with our church's youth group - led by an intern youth minister. After the sooners lost the intern youth minister didn't allow any talking on the bus ride home as he was too upset. He didn't get hired as the full time youth minister as I was the chairman of the search committee and thought he wasn't "grown up" enough to handle a youth group.

2002 - After the home victory taking my son down on the field to celebrate and getting a small square of the turf from where the goal posts once was.

2011 - After the home victory watching my son and daughter go down to the field and celebrate.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

I forgot to mention, I was at that game. I was sitting near the South end zone. The Catch happened right in front of me. The absolute, dead certain, very best part was the stunned silence in the stadium.