Radical Plan to Split California Into Three States On November Ballot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
California about to dissolve their state? I don't think so. If the liberals on the coast don't want it, they will be able to overcome the Okie vote from the Central Valley:

"California’s 168-year run as a single entity, hugging the continent’s edge for hundreds of miles and sprawling east across mountains and desert, could come to an end next year — as a controversial plan to split the Golden State into three new jurisdictions qualified Tuesday for the Nov. 6 ballot. If a majority of voters who cast ballots agree, a long and contentious process would begin for three separate states to take the place of California, with one primarily centered around Los Angeles and the other two divvying up the counties to the north and south. Completion of the radical plan — far from certain, given its many hurdles at judicial, state and federal levels — would make history."

Radical plan to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot

John C

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Article 4 of the Constitution, anyone? Why would any of the states want what is currently called California to have 4 more Senators and 4 more electoral votes, ceteris paribus?

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Article 4 of the Constitution, anyone? Why would any of the states want what is currently called California to have 4 more Senators and 4 more electoral votes, ceteris paribus?
There is an increasing conservative movement throughout the state, especially in the north...which is I think who is driving this.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
There is an increasing conservative movement throughout the state, especially in the north...which is I think who is driving this.
With the exception of Sacremento and the I-5/PCH corridor from about San Rafael to just south of LA the state is pretty darn conservative. Unfortunately, that corridor is about 60% of the state's population. The conservatives in those other parts of the state are tired of the leftist agenda being pushed on them. There was similar talk in Colorado several years ago because other than the area along the front range from Pueblo to Ft Collins and then a few pockets like Aspen, the rest of the state is pretty conservative.

I think it is an interesting exercise for discussion I don't see it ever happening. Even if it were to win in the California elections it would still have to be approved by the U.S. Congress, and I don't see that ever happening.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
This will go exactly as far as the Texas secession talks/threats... which was exactly nowhere.

Fun to discuss and think about the implications... but will never happen.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While this is true, that "north" shouldn't include San Francisco as they would still run the ship...Obviously this isn't a conservative solution as both "California" and "Northern California," according to this specific map, would be controlled by libs. Only "Southern California" would be conservative in this diagram and that could change as they allow more and more illegal people groups to invade and change the electorate.

Actually, however, the more I look at this plan the more I think it might be good for California overall, creating a climate of diversity of thought and more specific representation. Because the state has gotten so big in terms of population I think it's hard for them to govern effectively, leaving wide swaths of people disenfranchised with their belief systems undercut and ridiculed. This could be a solution for both Liberals and Conservatives as it's actually an equal share of major cities, population centers and industry. Very interesting. I actually hope they do it. Three California's with three governors, yet still a California bond to more diversity of thought makes for good competition and perhaps a melding of styles that could end up helping the entire country in terms of business, trade, agriculture, and the environment. By the way, for those who think Californians are all the same, they obviously haven't visited Bakersfield (aka, Oklahoma City) and Fresno (aka, Tulsa) ;).

Last edited: