Question about women's basketball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 24, 2005
I don't know a lot about the various strategies followed by women's basketball teams, but tell me this. The box score of the UO/Missouri game showed Oklahoma with 62 rebounds!!!! How many fast break baskets can be had after 62 boards?? Do women's teams ever fast break? How can a team have so many rebounds and not have at least 20 fast break layups? I didn't watch the game and there was not a breakout of offensive boards, so my observation may be flawed, but that sure does look strange.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
The women's game is a lot slower in general. That is why when you see a girl like Riley that is short but very very quick, she can still be a tremendous weapon.

The other part of the equation is that OU is a slow team. They've got 500 pounds of beef in the Paris twins that have to lumber up and down the court. They shoot horribly from the outside. Also, of their 62 rebounds, 26 of them were offensive. That means they were actually rebounded defensive to defensive.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Mar 24, 2005
Thanks, Poke28. I was having trouble putting those stats in perspective. Seems to me that if you had two rebounding behemouths you might add a couple of quick guards and coach the outlet pass for some easy buckets. What you are saying is the women's game is mostly a half court game.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
Thanks, Poke28. I was having trouble putting those stats in perspective. Seems to me that if you had two rebounding behemouths you might add a couple of quick guards and coach the outlet pass for some easy buckets. What you are saying is the women's game is mostly a half court game.
Not necessarily. If you watch OSU, they play a lot of half court, but they aren't afraid to run it either. But generally you don't see the break off a rebound in girls like you do in guys.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

May 26, 2005
Wacko
I agree that there aren't as many fast breaks in women's basketball, but this Cowgirls team can run now. Andrea is a one woman fast break.

That being said, the 62 rebounds in OU's game were more a result of OU not being able to hit water sitting in a boat in the middle of the ocean.