QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 4, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Really it has been from watching him in the spring games and in mop up duty. He’s usually running for his life because the backup olinemen can’t protect him and he still manages to move the ball.

He is extremely mobile and has some zip on his throws. I also never saw him just spike anything into the ground or airmail receivers like Wudtee. My only worry is that Wudtee is the guy I’ve had to compare him to and he has been awful from what I’ve seen. Hoping that Cornelius is actually good and doesn’t just look good compared to Wudtee.

I think he will have a Clint Chelf type season and the only reason Gundy has been saying he is competing with Wudtee was to try and keep him motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time to update your footer with the 2018 Golf National Championship!
Ya, need to get on an actual computer! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We used them quite nicely in the Cactus Bowl...seems like the last time we consistently used them. Maybe we will do more with them this year due to a new QB and needing another option.
I'm not confident that Yurcich will suddenly figure out they exist. Their dedication to keeping the position and recruiting good athletes to fit it, then completely ignoring it on gameday is one of the more baffling things our offensive staff has done. Up there with the constant runs up the middle after EVERY first down, the constant draws called on most 3rd and longs (a direct result of throwing away 1st down plays with runs up the middle), and the consistent neglect of crossing, seam, and short dig routes in the passing game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
And we have Ross, who is more of a pass catching Cowboy back. That was part of the limitations last year.
But they suddenly weren't limitations in the bowl game? Doesn't make sense.... Its more likely that they just "don't trust" the Cowboy Backs in the passing game, and so just abandon their usage altogether.

One of my biggest problems with our staff is that they are prone to NOT do things rather than to try things. Its like they look for any reason they can to justify playing scared / conservative. Its just in direct opposition to how I would prefer an athletic team be managed.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I'm not confident that Yurcich will suddenly figure out they exist. Their dedication to keeping the position and recruiting good athletes to fit it, then completely ignoring it on gameday is one of the more baffling things our offensive staff has done. Up there with the constant runs up the middle after EVERY first down, the constant draws called on most 3rd and longs (a direct result of throwing away 1st down plays with runs up the middle), and the consistent neglect of crossing, seam, and short dig routes in the passing game.
It’s takes like this from most of the pessimistic fanbase that make me shake my head and laugh at how spoiled we are.

You may not feel like it, but you are severely nitpicking an offense that literally 99% of the nation would have killed for last season.

It was the second most efficient offense in the nation behind OU.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

And because our fanbase became so accustomed with that type of efficiency, it rose the bar so high that we flip out when a draw doesn’t work—or heaven forbid—we don’t convert a third down.

Let’s all take a deep breath and have some perspective.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
It’s takes like this from most of the pessimistic fanbase that make me shake my head and laugh at how spoiled we are.

You may not feel like it, but you are severely nitpicking an offense that literally 99% of the nation would have killed for last season.

And because our fanbase became so accustomed with that type of efficiency, it rose the bar so high that we flip out when a draw doesn’t work—or heaven forbid—we don’t convert a third down.

Sorry, I don’t drink perspective. Sounds like a lady’s drink

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
I don't have a valid reason for Dru Brown to get the nod Week 1, but I feel like QBs don't typically grad-transfer to a school unless there's some expectation that you're going to be QB1. Then again, he might have been brought to raise the stakes for the QB competition.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Haha, yeah @Birry. Sorry about those pesky, boring facts.

Carry on with hyperbolic overreactions. :popcorn:

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I don't have a valid reason for Dru Brown to get the nod Week 1, but I feel like QBs don't typically grad-transfer to a school unless there's some expectation that you're going to be QB1. Then again, he might have been brought to raise the stakes for the QB competition.
My understanding is that he initiated the conversation. We did not actively recruit him after he declared he was going to transfer.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

What happens this season with the OSU Cowboys?

Mike Steely of The Franchise 107.9: “Spencer Sanders starts to live up to the all the hype that Mike Gundy promised. Sanders rescues the Cowboys for a win in the Boise State game. The Cowboys start 7-0, then lose to Texas, OU and TCU to finish a very respectable 9-3.”

Former Sooner QB Dean Blevins of Oklahoma City’s KWTV-9: “If the Cowboys get off to a 6-0 start with another soft early schedule, they could be the league’s surprise bunch. I’m expecting, at least by midseason, the beginning of a stellar career from rookie quarterback Spencer Sanders. Looks like an 8-4 season to me.”

Harold Kuntz of KOTV-6: “OSU will struggle to get into the top half of the standings. The schedule is back-loaded (with tough opponents). Four Cowboy quarterbacks get game reps this season. While the quarterback situation is figured out, Jim Knowles’ new defensive scheme keeps OSU in games.”

Mark Rodgers of the OKC Sports Animal: “Calvin Bundage will lead Oklahoma State in tackles, be considered one of the Big 12’s best defensive players and break the helmets of at least three opposing players.”

Cayden McFarland of KJRH-2: “With the new redshirt rule, Spencer Sanders definitely gets a look early, but Taylor Cornelius leads the Cowboys to a win over Boise State and a 6-0 start.”
Link

Also, I really like the photo of Spencer Sanders that Bill took back in April so I'll share that here too:

o2.jpg

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Watch his film and you'll have plenty of reasons why he'll get the nod. Not just the highlights, but the full game cut ups.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Taylor Cornelius has 15 college pass attempts under his belt in 3 years. Dru Brown has 747 in 2 years. He has tons of D1 experience and looks great on film. This won't be a hard decision, Gundy will go with experience like he always does.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Taylor Cornelius has 15 college pass attempts under his belt in 3 years. Dru Brown has 747 in 2 years. He has tons of D1 experience and looks great on film. This won't be a hard decision, Gundy will go with experience like he always does.
Cornelius has four years of experience in the OSU offensive system, Brown has yet to step foot on campus. So, you’re saying Cornelius will start?:)