QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Do you actually follow OSU football?
Do you? I judge by what I see....not coachspeak. I’m sorry you are too simple minded to do that yourself. The only player who has potential like Hill is Chuba. Right now that’s potential only. None of the backs are as shifty/quick like Hill.....and it’s not even close. Open your damn eyes.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We've done it a LOT. Go back and watch nearly all of our losses since Yurcich was hired, and you'll see some absurd play calling. I'd be curious to know what % of the time we run on 3rd and long. Its to the point where its almost guaranteed if its 3rd and 10+ that it will be draw. And I'm guessing a lot of that is on Gundy.

I'm not talking about overall offensive numbers. I'm talking about game-to-game, situational football. The stuff that wins and loses games. And my position is that UNTIL Gundy and Co. can become more aggressive in those crucial moments instead of getting scared, that we will never get over the hump from a good program to a great program.
The OSU Cowboys are 47 - 18 since Yurich came on board in 2013. Certainly in those 18 games, if we dissected them, I'm sure we could find a few OC mistakes.... but the VAST majority of those games were lost by our failures on defense and that's why we have a new DC and the same OC.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Do you? I judge by what I see....not coachspeak. I’m sorry you are too simple minded to do that yourself. The only player who has potential like Hill is Chuba. Right now that’s potential only. None of the backs are as shifty/quick like Hill.....and it’s not even close. Open your damn eyes.
JD King averaged nearly 5 yards per carry last year...that's not bad at all. We have three excellent running backs returning and likely a much improved OL for them to run behind. It's going to be an interesting year...we are going to be vastly underrated going in.

Last edited:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Haha, I don’t need to see shifty or quick. A running back needs to gain yards. King as a freshman averaged 4.7 ypc
Hubbard is 207 lbs, runs a 4.38 forty and showed enough in the spring to be past the potential stage.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
The OSU Cowboys are 47 - 18 since Zurich came on board in 2013. Certainly in those 18 games, if we dissected them, I'm sure we could find a few OC mistakes.... but the VAST majority of those games were lost by our failures on defense and that's why we have a new DC and the same OC.
I think everyone knows that when Yurcich goes all conservative it’s because he is told to do so. But running trick plays when we have momentum and making a big comeback against TCU will always be the marquee bonehead of the year award. But other teams have done it as well.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
This guy is going off a Spring game. That right there is hillarious. Especially vs our defense.

I do agree Chuba will be the feature back when Hill is gone. I hope he brings the home run threat this year. We will need it

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How heavily will be a point of interest. If we try to run the ball on every 3rd and long or become so predictable by running every 1st down, we will be playing from behind most of the season.

What I'm hoping for is that one of the QBs (I'm guessing Cornelius) has given or will give Gundy enough confidence to play aggressively. If we go into conservative mode because they "can't trust the QB", then we'll be lucky to win 8 games this year. This is a rebuilding year. The staff needs to play like there's nothing to lose.
I really don't think this is a true rebuilding year...granted we lost an outstanding QB and WR but the program has vastly improved to the point that I believe we no longer have the true old school "rebuilding years." IMHO we will be better on defense, kicking, special teams, oline, and at RB...WR will still be very good if not outstanding, QB is our only true ? in my opinion and the season will go as that position goes. I think that we will run more of the Cowboy back and short time consuming game than in the MR years. That could actually help us to sustain drives and keep the defense (which IMHO will be improved this year) more fresh. I look for our offense to continue to score in the 30's and 40's but I think our defense gives up 10 points a game less.

Last edited:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
This guy is going off a Spring game. That right there is hillarious. Especially vs our defense.

I do agree Chuba will be the feature back when Hill is gone. I hope he brings the home run threat this year. We will need it
You really don’t follow OSU football. Every spring game the defense dominates because we run a vanilla offense and the defense knows what is coming 90% because of the sets.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Go eat some shit somewhere.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I really don't think this is a true rebuilding year...granted we lost an outstanding QB and WR but the program has vastly improved to the point that I believe we no longer have the true old school "rebuilding years." IMHO we will be better on defense, kicking, special teams, oline, and at RB...WR will still be very good if not outstanding, QB is our only true ? in my opinion and the season will go as that position goes. I think that we will run more of the Cowboy back and short time consuming game than in the MR years. That could actually help us to sustain drives and keep the defense (which IMHO will be improved this year) more fresh. I look for our offense to continue to score in the 30's and 40's but I think our defense gives up 10 points a game less.
Every year I think we'll use Cowboy Backs for more than just missing blitzing LBs, and every year I'm wrong. No clue why we can't figure out how to utilize them in the passing game.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
We've done it a LOT. Go back and watch nearly all of our losses since Yurcich was hired, and you'll see some absurd play calling. I'd be curious to know what % of the time we run on 3rd and long. Its to the point where its almost guaranteed if its 3rd and 10+ that it will be draw. And I'm guessing a lot of that is on Gundy.

I'm not talking about overall offensive numbers. I'm talking about game-to-game, situational football. The stuff that wins and loses games. And my position is that UNTIL Gundy and Co. can become more aggressive in those crucial moments instead of getting scared, that we will never get over the hump from a good program to a great program.
vs. TCU in 2018, I saw bad OL play and a bunch of bad throws early on. Then an aggressive and stupid play call that cost us the game (WR pass).

vs. 0U I saw a couple tough calls against us early and a couple antsy QB overthrows to wide open guys, when Hill was unstoppable that game (with less than 2mins left in their territory). Sure wish we would've just kept feeding him then!

vs. KSU I saw bad QB play the first half, then a defense that couldn't help the offense come back - followed by a couple overthrows late.

It's a double edged sword. While I don't excuse playcalling 100%, it's not always (and not always often) the case.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Every year I think we'll use Cowboy Backs for more than just missing blitzing LBs, and every year I'm wrong. No clue why we can't figure out how to utilize them in the passing game.
We used them quite nicely in the Cactus Bowl...seems like the last time we consistently used them. Maybe we will do more with them this year due to a new QB and needing another option.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
We used them quite nicely in the Cactus Bowl...seems like the last time we consistently used them. Maybe we will do more with them this year due to a new QB and needing another option.
And we have Ross, who is more of a pass catching Cowboy back. That was part of the limitations last year.

Nov 8, 2013
Really it has been from watching him in the spring games and in mop up duty. He’s usually running for his life because the backup olinemen can’t protect him and he still manages to move the ball.

He is extremely mobile and has some zip on his throws. I also never saw him just spike anything into the ground or airmail receivers like Wudtee. My only worry is that Wudtee is the guy I’ve had to compare him to and he has been awful from what I’ve seen. Hoping that Cornelius is actually good and doesn’t just look good compared to Wudtee.

I think he will have a Clint Chelf type season and the only reason Gundy has been saying he is competing with Wudtee was to try and keep him motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time to update your footer with the 2018 Golf National Championship!

Oct 30, 2007
I think unless Cornelius and Brown just can’t get it done that you have to redshirt Sanders. Even if he lights it up against the cupcakes. He didn’t have spring ball to get acclimated to the speed of the defenders he will see in Big 12 play and he was injury prone in HS and has to put on some weight before taking some shots.

I don’t think you should ever start a true freshman QB, just give them a year. There is a difference between Rudolph, who has a bigger body, had spring ball, and had practiced for 4/5th the season being ready to play versus Sanders from game 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree. You always play the player who gives you the best chance to win. You definitely play the best player if he's a true freshman because he'll grow with every snap and the odds of him being on campus for 5 years is low.

I still believe that Rudolph should've started over Walsh and Garman during his true freshman year.