QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
My prediction: Cornelius starts and does a Clint Chelf impression, and barring injuries, will keep the job through the season. I see Brown as QB2 and Sanders as QB3.

If Cornelius falls apart or gets injured, it could be a LONG season. Yurcich will revert to the Daxx Garman offense, and teams will tee off on us. Sure - our O-line is better and we have Justice Hill, but neither of those will be enough to overcome our offensive play calling.

I'm hoping for the first one, and realistically see us winning 8 games not including a bowl.
disagree completely. The reason we sucked in 2014 was our O-line sucked and we had Garman at QB. This year we have 3 capable QBs in Cornelius, Sanders, and Brown. We only had 1 QB in 2014 and we tried to redshirt him. Rudolph.

All 3 of these guys have some good solid talent at QB with Sanders being elite in my opinion.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
disagree completely. The reason we sucked in 2014 was our O-line sucked and we had Garman at QB. This year we have 3 capable QBs in Cornelius, Sanders, and Brown. We only had 1 QB in 2014 and we tried to redshirt him. Rudolph.

All 3 of these guys have some good solid talent at QB with Sanders being elite in my opinion.
Brown is coming in late, and Sanders is a true freshman. I don't see either of them being a serious competitor for the starting spot until conference play at the earliest. Cornelius is our best option for season-long success. And that will only happen if Yurcich / Gundy turn him loose and let him play.

But here's what I think will happen instead...

We play inferior opponents in the opening weeks, then play Boise. In those first two games, we won't turn the offense loose to get meaningful reps for the offense. We will run a vanilla scheme and run the ball and win easily. Then, when we start playing legit opponents, none of our QBs will have really been challenged to move the ball in game situations, and Yurcich / Gundy will be two games behind in developing our QB and WRs. Feeling uncertainty about the passing game, Yurcich / Gundy will get even more conservative, and we'll lose nearly every game where we can't just run at will for the rest of the season.

The only hope we have is if Cornelius comes out on fire and gives the staff a lot of confidence during the Boise and TT games. Otherwise, I think we see the DG offense all over again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
My prediction: Cornelius starts and does a Clint Chelf impression, and barring injuries, will keep the job through the season. I see Brown as QB2 and Sanders as QB3.

If Cornelius falls apart or gets injured, it could be a LONG season. Yurcich will revert to the Daxx Garman offense, and teams will tee off on us. Sure - our O-line is better and we have Justice Hill, but neither of those will be enough to overcome our offensive play calling.

I'm hoping for the first one, and realistically see us winning 8 games not including a bowl.
Daxx Garmab was not Yurcichs fault. Has more to do with his ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2005
Birry, just love the confidence..If you haven't noticed, our coaching staff has produced some of the most prolific offences in major college football over a number of years. I cannot see them getting away from what we have for years.... and why would they?

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Given the respective situations at QB and RB, I would expect us to rely more heavily on the run game.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Daxx had no online. And did not have one of the best running backs in the game behind him. Not to mention he could not hit anyone 10 yards down field and, God love him, could not out run my 3 legged overweight cat. All he could do is chunk it deep. And with no oline he got hammered.

Totally different situation. And remember whoever is the QB will have to "overcome" the play calling that made us the 2nd leading offense in the freaking country last year.

Last edited:

Peeb

Sheriff
Sep 6, 2008
Green Country
My boys and I were at the Baylor game in Stillwater last year when Cornelius came in. Perhaps we were a bit optimistic, but we were chanting "Corndog for Heisman!"

OK- we were a LOT optimistic, but he seemed like a likable gamer. Hoping for the best for this young man.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Daxx had no online. And did not have one of the best running backs in the game behind him. Not to mention he could not hit anyone 10 yards down field and, God love him, could not out run my 3 legged overweight cat. All he could do is chunk it deep. And with no oline he got hammered.

Totally different situation. And remember whoever is the QB will have to "overcome" the play calling that made us the 2nd leading offense in the freaking county last year.
I’m pretty sure we had the leading offense in the county last year, unless Stillwater, Perkins-Tryon or Cushing was awesome.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I think Cornelius is going to surprise some people. I’d give Sanders half of the first 2 games to get as much time as possible. Then Brown is the backup barring injury.

I have heard several people say this. I am very hopeful it is true but what has he done that makes you think it will happen? Just curious. (once again, I hope you are correct.)
Really it has been from watching him in the spring games and in mop up duty. He’s usually running for his life because the backup olinemen can’t protect him and he still manages to move the ball.

He is extremely mobile and has some zip on his throws. I also never saw him just spike anything into the ground or airmail receivers like Wudtee. My only worry is that Wudtee is the guy I’ve had to compare him to and he has been awful from what I’ve seen. Hoping that Cornelius is actually good and doesn’t just look good compared to Wudtee.

I think he will have a Clint Chelf type season and the only reason Gundy has been saying he is competing with Wudtee was to try and keep him motivated.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Given the respective situations at QB and RB, I would expect us to rely more heavily on the run game.
How heavily will be a point of interest. If we try to run the ball on every 3rd and long or become so predictable by running every 1st down, we will be playing from behind most of the season.

What I'm hoping for is that one of the QBs (I'm guessing Cornelius) has given or will give Gundy enough confidence to play aggressively. If we go into conservative mode because they "can't trust the QB", then we'll be lucky to win 8 games this year. This is a rebuilding year. The staff needs to play like there's nothing to lose.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I think Cornelius is going to surprise some people. I’d give Sanders half of the first 2 games to get as much time as possible. Then Brown is the backup barring injury.

And if Sanders lights it up you sit him anyway? Dru does have an unused RS year too. So he could play in 4 and still RS.
I think unless Cornelius and Brown just can’t get it done that you have to redshirt Sanders. Even if he lights it up against the cupcakes. He didn’t have spring ball to get acclimated to the speed of the defenders he will see in Big 12 play and he was injury prone in HS and has to put on some weight before taking some shots.

I don’t think you should ever start a true freshman QB, just give them a year. There is a difference between Rudolph, who has a bigger body, had spring ball, and had practiced for 4/5th the season being ready to play versus Sanders from game 1.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
How heavily will be a point of interest. If we try to run the ball on every 3rd and long or become so predictable by running every 1st down, we will be playing from behind most of the season.

What I'm hoping for is that one of the QBs (I'm guessing Cornelius) has given or will give Gundy enough confidence to play aggressively. If we go into conservative mode because they "can't trust the QB", then we'll be lucky to win 8 games this year. This is a rebuilding year. The staff needs to play like there's nothing to lose.
Remind me a time in the last decade, other than Daxx where that was the case? Maybe 09 when Robinson got hurt and Cate went in?

Can the playcalling be better at times? Yes. But look at the entire body of work and more-so, look at the numbers and you'll have to admit the offenses outside of the 2014 season, have all been pretty damn good. It's always been the defense that has been our Achilles heel.

I guarantee one of the QBs on campus will be more than serviceable.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I think unless Cornelius and Brown just can’t get it done that you have to redshirt Sanders. Even if he lights it up against the cupcakes. He didn’t have spring ball to get acclimated to the speed of the defenders he will see in Big 12 play and he was injury prone in HS and has to put on some weight before taking some shots.

I don’t think you should ever start a true freshman QB, just give them a year. There is a difference between Rudolph, who has a bigger body, had spring ball, and had practiced for 4/5th the season being ready to play versus Sanders from game 1.

If Sanders gets to play ahead of Corndog or Brown, it will not be a bad thing.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I’m pretty sure we had the leading offense in the county last year, unless Stillwater, Perkins-Tryon or Cushing was awesome.
LOL nice catch. Fixed it. Although.... Stillwater has a Gundy chunking it around the yard and I think they have a stud at RB too. Sooooo maybe?????

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Yep, Justice is going to need to carry the ball about 500 times this year.

Unless he’s having a Heisman year, he’s going to have to share some of those carries. We’ve got some really talented RBs.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Remind me a time in the last decade, other than Daxx where that was the case? Maybe 09 when Robinson got hurt and Cate went in?

Can the playcalling be better at times? Yes. But look at the entire body of work and more-so, look at the numbers and you'll have to admit the offenses outside of the 2014 season, have all been pretty damn good. It's always been the defense that has been our Achilles heel.

I guarantee one of the QBs on campus will be more than serviceable.
We've done it a LOT. Go back and watch nearly all of our losses since Yurcich was hired, and you'll see some absurd play calling. I'd be curious to know what % of the time we run on 3rd and long. Its to the point where its almost guaranteed if its 3rd and 10+ that it will be draw. And I'm guessing a lot of that is on Gundy.

I'm not talking about overall offensive numbers. I'm talking about game-to-game, situational football. The stuff that wins and loses games. And my position is that UNTIL Gundy and Co. can become more aggressive in those crucial moments instead of getting scared, that we will never get over the hump from a good program to a great program.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Brown is coming in late, and Sanders is a true freshman. I don't see either of them being a serious competitor for the starting spot until conference play at the earliest. Cornelius is our best option for season-long success. And that will only happen if Yurcich / Gundy turn him loose and let him play.

But here's what I think will happen instead...

We play inferior opponents in the opening weeks, then play Boise. In those first two games, we won't turn the offense loose to get meaningful reps for the offense. We will run a vanilla scheme and run the ball and win easily. Then, when we start playing legit opponents, none of our QBs will have really been challenged to move the ball in game situations, and Yurcich / Gundy will be two games behind in developing our QB and WRs. Feeling uncertainty about the passing game, Yurcich / Gundy will get even more conservative, and we'll lose nearly every game where we can't just run at will for the rest of the season.

The only hope we have is if Cornelius comes out on fire and gives the staff a lot of confidence during the Boise and TT games. Otherwise, I think we see the DG offense all over again.
I think it's more likely that we do turn it loose and play at least one of the other two QB's to get them reps after Corndog squeezes the mustard out of Missouri State in the first half. I think we will likely play the freshmen IF he's as good as people say to get him live action late in the first game. We likely will also play Dru Brown some in the first two games as well, if he shows promise. We don't have to worry about burning redshirts anymore so it's much more likely that the staff plays more guys and uses the first two games to prepare for the 3rd game. It may be a repeat of 2015 when we played both JW and MR all season but likely NOT 2014 when JW was hurt and we didn't want to burn MR's redshirt.

Btw, which WR's need "developed?" We have a three year starter and a four year starter plus a former five star recruit...not sure which of them needs "development."

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Really it has been from watching him in the spring games and in mop up duty. He’s usually running for his life because the backup olinemen can’t protect him and he still manages to move the ball.

He is extremely mobile and has some zip on his throws. I also never saw him just spike anything into the ground or airmail receivers like Wudtee. My only worry is that Wudtee is the guy I’ve had to compare him to and he has been awful from what I’ve seen. Hoping that Cornelius is actually good and doesn’t just look good compared to Wudtee.

I think he will have a Clint Chelf type season and the only reason Gundy has been saying he is competing with Wudtee was to try and keep him motivated.

I really loved Chelf's game, but I think Corn has much more upside just due to his physicality and size alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.