QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
I like how you just ignored the post where your bogus position was exposed. Just be a man and admit you are wrong. Because you are. You tried to apply a 10 year old, bastardized definition that a few announcers used to describe the connection between Jordan Shipley and Colt McCoy, and "somehow" thought I was using it the same way. You honestly thought that when I used the word "chemistry" that I meant that every backup QB in the NFL and in college has a "special connection" with his receivers that is only developed by rooming together? If so........I can't be held responsible for your confusion. That's on you, man.

If you honestly believed that my use of the word had anything to do with what these guys do off the field, then you should have continued reading where I clarified what I meant (as if it needs clarification?) for you. I just honestly didn't think anyone would apply the bastardized definition instead of the actual definition. But OP works in mysterious ways.

I changed the wording from "chemistry" to "familiarity", because about 4 people got confused and went off the rails.
Man, that was a lot of typing. "You're right" would have sufficed.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Now you've changed your argument and stance.

And just to say I've contributed to this thread, I think Dru Brown starts the majority of the games this year.
Well played, playa. :p

In the final analysis, I don’t have much of a dog in this hunt, other than that “chemistry” is a sports cliche I find a little annoying.

My take is that I am excited to see how it plays out. Unlike some who keep pointing back to the BR/ZMFR thing. Gundy has matured as a HC A LOT since then.

I suspect we’ll see them all play a little bit at first and we’ll see what they can all do. It sounds like they’ll each bring a unique skill set. I wouldn’t rule out seeing a situational QB situation like what we saw very successfully with JW.

And I suspect we’ll see enough of it early on to keep opposing DCs guessing. Even the Gundy-bashers have to admit he’s tricky like that, most often to our advantage.

There will be vicious debates on this space about which QB should have started, which QB should have been put in different situations.

But I look forward to it. I think it will be fun to see how it unfolds.

And I look forward to the arguments.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Well played, playa. :p

In the final analysis, I don’t have much of a dog in this hunt, other than that “chemistry” is a sports cliche I find a little annoying.

My take is that I am excited to see how it plays out. Unlike some who keep pointing back to the BR/ZMFR thing. Gundy has matured as a HC A LOT since then.

I suspect we’ll see them all play a little bit at first and we’ll see what they can all do. It sounds like they’ll each bring a unique skill set. I wouldn’t rule out seeing a situational QB situation like what we saw very successfully with JW.

And I suspect we’ll see enough of it early on to keep opposing DCs guessing. Even the Gundy-bashers have to admit he’s tricky like that, most often to our advantage.

There will be vicious debates on this space about which QB should have started, which QB should have been put in different situations.

But I look forward to it. I think it will be fun to see how it unfolds.

And I look forward to the arguments.
Yes, the "knee-jerking" will be off the charts every week!:eek:

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Now you've changed your argument and stance.

And just to say I've contributed to this thread, I think Dru Brown starts the majority of the games this year.
You seriously thought I meant off-field chemistry in my original post?
At this point I don't know what the hell you mean. I think people disagreed with you and you've taken it way, way too seriously.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
You seriously thought I meant off-field chemistry in my original post?
For The Record, because The Record is important in internet arguments, my main objection was with overuse of the term “chemistry.” I sorta understand why you used it, because, let’s face it, we’re no longer keyboard warriors at this point, we’re just dorks messing with our phones while we should be doing something more productive with our lives. Guilty.

And I know we’ll that @CTeamPoke is a cantankerous, argumentative bastard. And I love him for it. He often has a good point, even when I disagree with it. I’ve also seen him stand down and admit when he realizes he’s wrong.

We’re all here for fun and comaradery and to celebrate in our successes, and to mourn in our misery at our particular brand of failure.

We’re all good. Now let’s argue about something. I thought Mexico Joe’s was good until it moved.

OSU79

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
For The Record, because The Record is important in internet arguments, my main objection was with overuse of the term “chemistry.” I sorta understand why you used it, because, let’s face it, we’re no longer keyboard warriors at this point, we’re just dorks messing with our phones while we should be doing something more productive with our lives. Guilty.

And I know we’ll that @CTeamPoke is a cantankerous, argumentative bastard. And I love him for it. He often has a good point, even when I disagree with it. I’ve also seen him stand down and admit when he realizes he’s wrong.

We’re all here for fun and comaradery and to celebrate in our successes, and to mourn in our misery at our particular brand of failure.

We’re all good. Now let’s argue about something. I thought Mexico Joe’s was good until it moved.
Damn. I didn't expect to see this post until Muller came out and admitted he had been looking into Hillary's campaign all along.

;)

Dec 21, 2008
I talked to a couple players & they said TC is very solid and is ready to lead the team. They didn’t say he was the next Mason or anything but said he is pretty darn good. They said they hadn’t seen Dru throw besides twitter so he’s a dark horse.

Something that got me thinking was what if we use Dru like JW? I have not heard this option mentioned yet. He can come in late this summer and get several red zone packages (already established from JW), he’s experienced/strong/tough & can run and throw, keeps TC from taking goaline hits from large DL or risking confidence issues.

JW seemed to score 95% of the time. I swore we would run some options and throw but he always made it in. With our RBs, we may see some shield, multiple RB sets and have 2-3 options on RPOs

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Even if Corndog is the guy and pans out; let's get our #2 in early in some of these games we should win fairly easily - say start the second half. I have very few complaints about Gundy era coaching but this would be one - we don't play give our backup QB's enough game experience. Especially this year since however it works out we will have a strong #2 QB.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Even if Corndog is the guy and pans out; let's get our #2 in early in some of these games we should win fairly easily - say start the second half. I have very few complaints about Gundy era coaching but this would be one - we don't play give our backup QB's enough game experience. Especially this year since however it works out we will have a strong #2 QB.
I would agree with this assessment.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
hopefully Corndog and the team comes out on fire and takes an early 5 TD lead, then we have some flexibility to put in the other guys.

At this point our "starter" needs some snaps, and flipping in other QBs situationally, I don't think would be particularly helpful early in the season.

on the other hand, if he has trouble moving the ball, try the next guy.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Yes, here has a red shirt year available. Per everyone I've heard talk about it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Hmm, wonder if he has an interest in doing that? Would be nice to have a guy like that for a couple of years. Wouldn’t have to worry about QB depth. From what I know and have seen of him, I think he’s going to be pretty dang good.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
If you r going to play the possible RS guys, play them in meaningful snaps. I can take a shotgun snap and hand it off to Chuba. You want to see them in a situation where they actually have to lead the offense. Otherwise, it is useless for later in the year if u actually need them.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Hmm, wonder if he has an interest in doing that? Would be nice to have a guy like that for a couple of years. Wouldn’t have to worry about QB depth. From what I know and have seen of him, I think he’s going to be pretty dang good.
Why wouldn’t he? He will be working on a masters degree. Why not get both years paid for?

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
I think it was clear what I meant in my original post discussing the particular topic, and everyone but the same tiny group understands it (surprise, surprise). And I agree with your post, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Its actually pretty funny how quickly the SAME small group all come out of the woodwork to support each other regardless of the topic. Their accusations about me are also hilarious. Because I disagree with their lockstep views, I've been labeled a troll, a sooner, and been accused of having multiple accounts (apparently because my sentiments are echoed by other posters at times). Ironic? Indeed!
I bought a banjo recently. I just seen like a guy who should know how to play a banjo. I should probably get a yo-yo too.

They are apparently half musical instrument, half mechanical device that needs regular maintenance.

I don’t know anything about that , so I had to take it in to have it set up right, and do a few mods. I’ve been working like a dog, so I had to bribe someone into going to pick it up yesterday.

I’m learning it, but it’s a little weird. Some things are the same, some are different.

I would imagine that’s how DB will feel learning our offense.