QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The masturbatory "you must have never played team sports" claim is absolutely hilarious from those of you that dispute me on this.

It's not going to factor into the QB decision that is essentially between Corndog, Brown, Wudtee, and Sanders. The QB that is best at executing the plays that are called is the QB that will be on the field. Brown showing up late factors in because he will have less practice reps than the others... But his chemistry with the receivers will not factor in.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The masturbatory "you must have never played team sports" claim is absolutely hilarious from those of you that dispute me on this.

It's not going to factor into the QB decision that is essentially between Corndog, Brown, Wudtee, and Sanders. The QB that is best at executing the plays that are called is the QB that will be on the field. Brown showing up late factors in because he will have less practice reps than the others... But his chemistry with the receivers will not factor in.
I don’t think being on the chess team counts.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
So, when the starting quarterback is injured, the coach subs in the 3rd to 5th string receivers because the backup quarterback completes more passes to them? Right? Makes perfect sense.:derp:
Dude. It's a simple, known fact that a QB will hit guys he's comfortable throwing to more often. Happens all the time. Are you seriously arguing against that fact? I guarantee it'll happen in the NFL and college games this coming season, because it always happens, because it's a real factor.

Who do you think starts for OSU this fall?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Dude. It's a simple, known fact that a QB will hit guys he's comfortable throwing to more often. Happens all the time. Are you seriously arguing against that fact? I guarantee it'll happen in the NFL and college games this coming season, because it always happens, because it's a real factor.

Can you give me an example of a backup coming in and being more effective with backup receivers over starters?

Because I can point to a few instance that show the opposite...

Stefon Diggs is Minnesota's top receiver. Case Keenum connected with him routinely after being forced into action after Bradford's injury.

And then there's that whole pesky situation of Nick Foles leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Did they replace all of their starting receivers with backups so that Foles would be able to work better with them?

Execution is more important than chemistry. A QB and receiver making the proper reads and putting themselves in the right position is more important than their relationship. Period.

Oct 30, 2007

Consider this, every different WR has a different set of attributes. Every QB knows how to throw a 20 yard out route to the sidelines, but it's hard to get the timing down right if a QB doesn't know the speed of his personnel. The more a QB throws to a WR, the better he gets to know what that WR is capable of.

Tony Romo and Dez Bryant developed a great relationship over the years. Dez has never really been a big separation guy. You just have to throw the ball up and let him go make a play. Romo knew this and they had a ton of success together. Dak Prescott didn't know Dez nearly as well and he struggles to make the same throws. You saw Dez's numbers drop off significantly because of this. He had 16 TD's during Romo's last full season. He's had a total of 17 TD's combined over the past 3 years.

I'm not sure chemistry is the proper word to describe what I'm describing. But familiarity with personnel can definitely make a difference.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Consider this, every different WR has a different set of attributes. Every QB knows how to throw a 20 yard out route to the sidelines, but it's hard to get the timing down right if a QB doesn't know the speed of his personnel. The more a QB throws to a WR, the better he gets to know what that WR is capable of.

Tony Romo and Dez Bryant developed a great relationship over the years. Dez has never really been a big separation guy. You just have to throw the ball up and let him go make a play. Romo knew this and they had a ton of success together. Dak Prescott didn't know Dez nearly as well and he struggles to make the same throws. You saw Dez's numbers drop off significantly because of this. He had 16 TD's during Romo's last full season. He's had a total of 17 TD's combined over the past 3 years.

I'm not sure chemistry is the proper word to describe what I'm describing. But familiarity with personnel can definitely make a difference.
Zac Robinson connected well with Dez because Dez is a phenomenal athlete and could go get the ball. It was the same with Romo. From what I saw of Prescott, he simply chose to ignore Dez and throw to other receivers more often.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Some of you are referring to off-the-field chemistry. Some of you are referring to on-the-field chemistry. They are two separate things. Just thought I would clear that up.

Someone is saying that chemistry is nothing and that the only thing that matters is execution.

Some of you, I believe, are trying to point out that chemistry affects execution.

You are welcome.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Zac Robinson connected well with Dez because Dez is a phenomenal athlete and could go get the ball. It was the same with Romo. From what I saw of Prescott, he simply chose to ignore Dez and throw to other receivers more often.
Prescott played with Dez for 2 years (i.e. chemistry), but was incapable to throw to Dez’s sweet spot. That’s a lack of skill - not chemistry.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
So, when the starting quarterback is injured, the coach subs in the 3rd to 5th string receivers because the backup quarterback completes more passes to them? Right? Makes perfect sense.:derp:

So if Dru Brown wins the job he won’t throw to anyone on our team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Can you give me an example of a backup coming in and being more effective with backup receivers over starters?

Because I can point to a few instance that show the opposite...

Stefon Diggs is Minnesota's top receiver. Case Keenum connected with him routinely after being forced into action after Bradford's injury.

And then there's that whole pesky situation of Nick Foles leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Did they replace all of their starting receivers with backups so that Foles would be able to work better with them?

Execution is more important than chemistry. A QB and receiver making the proper reads and putting themselves in the right position is more important than their relationship. Period.
Gah, you're dumb. And you apparently don't watch football...

I already mentioned that things can click sometimes with certain players. You mentioned a couple. But how many times did backups come in and throw to elite receivers like Diggs and NOT have that kind of success? Happens all the time. And it has nothing to do with their respective talent levels and everything to do with their on-field chemistry.

I'm not saying chemistry is everything. I'm saying it matters. And in this specific case, I think it'll matter more than any perceived difference in talent between the competing QBs for us this season.

I swear, I could say "Go Pokes!" And some of you morons would find a way to argue about it.

Thanks for reminding me why I quit visiting this site.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Gah, you're dumb. And you apparently don't watch football...

I already mentioned that things can click sometimes with certain players. You mentioned a couple. But how many times did backups come in and throw to elite receivers like Diggs and NOT have that kind of success? Happens all the time. And it has nothing to do with their respective talent levels and everything to do with their on-field chemistry.

I'm not saying chemistry is everything. I'm saying it matters. And in this specific case, I think it'll matter more than any perceived difference in talent between the competing QBs for us this season.

I swear, I could say "Go Pokes!" And some of you morons would find a way to argue about it.

Thanks for reminding me why I quit visiting this site.
Why are you making it personal? Was hoping to have a civil discussion... Not sure what the personal attacks are for. Did somebody hurt you? I'm sorry for upsetting you by disagreeing with your part of your assertion... But it's ok for us to have different opinions without resorting to personal attacks.

Good luck with whatever it is you're doing this weekend. I hope I didn't ruin it by being a mean old internet message board poster.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Hey, “chemistry” is always a great thing to have, but I believe “execution” will always trump a feel for where your receivers are going to be.
....... after re-reading this I realized I said “Trump a feel.” :rolleyes: