QB Situation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

svpoke

Wrangler
Jun 12, 2010
Much of OSU's success this year will be determined by how well we transition from Mason Rudolph at QB. I'm really curious to know where John Kolar fits into the team's plan. He's a former 4 star recruit that doesn't seem to get mentioned much as a likely option as a starter next year. Has he just not panned out, or am I missing something?

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
He's not panned out so far.

What is REALLY interesting now is the new Redshirt rules. Now we can play Sanders in up to 4 games this year and he is still considered to have been redshirted. No doubt we will see him some early now

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Kolar hasn't panned out, but Weeden never lit it up until he was force to play.
I'm not saying Kolar is a Weeden, but it is disappointing that we supposedly had a boat load of talented quarterbacks come in a few years ago and none of them have panned out.

Brown and Sanders have to beat out Corndog and Woo-Woo Woodtee, who've been in the system for years.
Not one of them excites me about this coming season and I'm certainly NOT going to give Sanders the job before he even gets his boxes unpacked in Stillwater.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'm not saying Kolar is a Weeden, but it is disappointing that we supposedly had a boat load of talented quarterbacks come in a few years ago and none of them have panned out.

Brown and Sanders have to beat out Corndog and Woo-Woo Woodtee, who've been in the system for years.
Not one of them excites me about this coming season and I'm certainly NOT going to give Sanders the job before he even gets his boxes unpacked in Stillwater.
I’m glad you aren’t. I was hoping you would at least teach him the offense first.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

I think Corndog is the starter and is going to surprise many. At least that is my hope.

Jul 11, 2007
He's not panned out so far.

What is REALLY interesting now is the new Redshirt rules. Now we can play Sanders in up to 4 games this year and he is still considered to have been redshirted. No doubt we will see him some early now
That's an interesting point of discussion. I think I would rather lean toward letting freshman develop, see where they wind up on the depth chart, and let them play later in the season where they could help you win the bigger, more competitive games.

Side note, being a college football coach just got harder. Now they have to account for more potential players getting on the field from the opposing team, some of which coaches will have very limited film on.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
That's an interesting point of discussion. I think I would rather lean toward letting freshman develop, see where they wind up on the depth chart, and let them play later in the season where they could help you win the bigger, more competitive games.

Side note, being a college football coach just got harder. Now they have to account for more potential players getting on the field from the opposing team, some of which coaches will have very limited film on.
Agreed at every position but QB. I think you want to be more settled at QB earlier. So if Sanders is pushing the depth chart at all in fall camp, then give him some meaningful snaps early and see what happens.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I don't care who the qb is, as long as we are winning. You have to think the kid from Hawaii wouldn't use his last year of eligibility here, just to sit on the bench. He could be a nice transition for Sanders, as they both are dual threat guys. Which may mean the offense may be moving back to the Robinson style of play.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
You guys don't remember the Alabama fan who was worried about the language barrier with Tua? You jokers are so gullible.
Or maybe they are smart enough to realize there is a big difference from being from Hawaii and playing in Hawaii....which obv made your post seem irrelevant and just plain dumb and rightfully so as well as the Bama poster. We all in here know English is English. But at least the Bama poster has a point that maybe Samoan could be helpfull....but Dru isn’t Samoan ergo.....

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Or maybe they are smart enough to realize there is a big difference from being from Hawaii and playing in Hawaii....which obv made your post seem irrelevant and just plain dumb and rightfully so as well as the Bama poster. We all in here know English is English. But at least the Bama poster has a point that maybe Samoan could be helpfull....but Dru isn’t Samoan ergo.....
Oh. My. God.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
You guys don't remember the Alabama fan who was worried about the language barrier with Tua? You jokers are so gullible.
Jimmys Sarcasm Meter is obviously in the shop. Hope he gets it back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk