QB Discussion: Theory

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I think you would be surprised. QB and receivers have to read defensives and adjust. Not always something that translates. Plus, that leaves Sanders out of the discussion.
We are not checking off plays at the line. We are also not checking hot routes. If we did we would see some quick passes on blitzes.

Last edited:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
We are not checking off plays at the line. We are also not checking hot routes. If we did we would see some quick passes on blitzes.
Just because you aren’t seeing doesn’t mean it isn’t part of the offense.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Our plan is to run the football when they knew that we wanted to run the football, and hit the passes only when Tech sent extra people to stop the run.

BUT we failed to run block, The safeties need not have to help the LBs to stop the runs. ...and Tech offense was always like that against oSu except Tubberville times.

Tech knew our plan and we knew that they knew our plan. We over estimate our OL capabilities. We thought they are our strength, but NOT yet.

The plan was not to fall on TC throwing much, but the OL and the RBs. All week we challenged our OLs to do better job at run blocking. FAIL!

The hardest part is to develop the OL group. Their schemes, blocking & timing assignments, body and physical development and the chemistry as a working team take time.

We over celebrate last week victories too much. Young teams tends to forget to prepare well for the coming week after reading good stuff said about them.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
They need to take advantage of the running ability and even more importantly the wide open middle of the field which has been wide open every game. We should be wearing teams out over the middle until they commit to stop it, then run the ball or throw deeper. And more passes to Jelani Woods, the rare times he has gotten the ball it's always been a big play. All we've got is run the ball or a deep post route.
Yurcich or Gundy or both think that the deep routes are gonna open up the run game or something but it clearly isn't since our QB isn't Rudolph. What happened to the air raid offense? We're supposed to be slinging it all over the field, thus being unpredictable.

I also didn't like what he said at the BSU press conference. It's either let him run the ball and be physical and have a chance to win games, or don't do it and lose games.
He's a 5th year senior and he's not going pro. Just let it rip. Like Rack just said, if he gets injured, then deal with it. Because what we're doing currently is gonna get us a losing record.
THIS!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Our plan is to run the football when they knew that we wanted to run the football, and hit the passes only when Tech sent extra people to stop the run.

BUT we failed to run block, The safeties need not have to help the LBs to stop the runs. ...and Tech offense was always like that against oSu except Tubberville times.

Tech knew our plan and we knew that they knew our plan. We over estimate our OL capabilities. We thought they are our strength, but NOT yet.

The plan was not to fall on TC throwing much, but the OL and the RBs. All week we challenged our OLs to do better job at run blocking. FAIL!

The hardest part is to develop the OL group. Their schemes, blocking & timing assignments, body and physical development and the chemistry as a working team take time.

We over celebrate last week victories too much. Young teams tends to forget to prepare well for the coming week after reading good stuff said about them.
I'm tired of the OL excuse. If we can't run block, then we need to scheme around it. Instead, we send our receivers deep and throw the ball out of bounds on half our pass plays. Either that, or we just run it anyway..................on slow developing run plays out of the pistol :derp:

I now have full confidence that Gundy is willing to lose games so he can get his way - whether that is with the QB situation or with our physicality in the run game. He is literally ok with losing games as long as we stick to his script.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The biggest thing is that the OC has failed to develop a game plan around a QB with poor ability to throw the deep pass and an offensive line that can't hold blocks. The solution isn't difficult but it also isn't the screen game or the delayed handoff. It's exactly what Boise did to our D get 4-6 yard passes over the middle then develop more of the game plan as the opposition adjusts. I'm tired of the current offense and was tired of it with Rudolph TBH. Its not complex because it hasn't changed from the base in 5 years. We are wasting the best set of RB's since 1988 on a POS offense that doesn't know how to use them.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
The biggest thing is that the OC has failed to develop a game plan around a QB with poor ability to throw the deep pass and an offensive line that can't hold blocks. The solution isn't difficult but it also isn't the screen game or the delayed handoff. It's exactly what Boise did to our D get 4-6 yard passes over the middle then develop more of the game plan as the opposition adjusts. I'm tired of the current offense and was tired of it with Rudolph TBH. Its not complex because it hasn't changed from the base in 5 years. We are wasting the best set of RB's since 1988 on a POS offense that doesn't know how to use them.
Agree with everything except the last sentence. They know damn well how to use TC and how to use our running backs but they choose to beat their head into a brick wall to entertain themselves with big plays instead of concern to win the game.

They know how to develop a offense that is centered around what TC is good at but they don’t like it.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Anybody watch gundy postgame? Asked directly about getting any other QBs any reps, all he said was No, Corn is fine. Repeatedly over & over said its not on Corn its all on the blocking. It’s almost as if Dru or Spencer are absolutely not even an option in his mind & I dont understand it at all. I think its absurd at this point we’ve gotten no other QBs any reps at all in game action besides Wudtee, who frankly has no shot to ever start in the big 12. It’s going to get to the point where you have to forget about saving 2 redshirts for next season, and find a guy who can lead the team this season. Just me personally, but I dont see much leadership in the corn dawg.
Here's postgame quotes from Coach Gundy and Taylor Cornelius...

Gundy dismissed any notions that Saturday’s performance would lead to a change, even in rep distribution in practice.

Asked if Dru Brown would receive more first-team reps after Cornelius completed 18-of-38 passes against Texas Tech, Gundy said, matter-of-factly: “Corn’s fine. We didn’t rush the football. If you run the football it makes things a lot better.”

Cornelius was matter-of-fact, too: “It falls on me. I’ve got to play better.”

When a reporter asked Cornelius about Gundy’s comments that the blocking didn’t give him a chance: “I’ve got to play better.”

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Keep in mind that Hawaii was only 3-9 last season with all three wins being against teams with 100+ power rankings. Just because Dru Brown has started some games for Hawaii, it might not mean that he is a better QB than Cornelius.

I think the answer will be Spenser Sanders. With the new Redshirt rules, we'll probably see him playing in the last four games of the year just as we used Mason Rudolph late in his true Freshman year. The difference is we won't have to burn a year of eligibility to get Sanders some game experience this year.

We'll make due with what we have at QB this season and when the time is right we'll get Sanders some experience to set us up for the next 4 years. Cornelius will give us a chance to win most games until Sanders can get some experience in the final 3 regular season games and Bowl game. I expect by the Bowl game, Sanders will be starting if not before.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Keep in mind that Hawaii was only 3-9 last season with all three wins being against teams with 100+ power rankings. Just because Dru Brown has started some games for Hawaii, it might not mean that he is a better QB than Cornelius.

I think the answer will be Spenser Sanders. With the new Redshirt rules, we'll probably see him playing in the last four games of the year just as we used Mason Rudolph late in his true Freshman year. The difference is we won't have to burn a year of eligibility to get Sanders some game experience this year.

We'll make due with what we have at QB this season and when the time is right we'll get Sanders some experience to set us up for the next 4 years. Cornelius will give us a chance to win most games until Sanders can get some experience in the final 3 regular season games and Bowl game. I expect by the Bowl game, Sanders will be starting if not before.
The core of the problem is Yurcich and Gundy being stubborn and stupid. Right now any QB would fail except one with a big arm and deep ball accuracy. Which would be Rudolph or Weeden and I don't think we have one of those on the bench.
We have a Collin Klein starting right now and the offense needs to be adapted to that. Even with Brown or Sanders starting, it would need to be adapted to them.
From the Boise State press conference, we know Gundy is in on it for sure. He said he didn't want TC carrying the ball more than 5 times a game. That is what happened Saturday, and that just ain't gonna work.

Nov 18, 2011
Any doubt that if Gundy were at Alabama he'd still be starting Jalen Hurts or at Clemson he'd stick with Kelly Bryant, or Notre Dame with Winbush? I mean, these coaches were winning with these guys but made changes because they could see their offense struggling.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I'm tired of the OL excuse. If we can't run block, then we need to scheme around it. Instead, we send our receivers deep and throw the ball out of bounds on half our pass plays. Either that, or we just run it anyway..................on slow developing run plays out of the pistol :derp:

I now have full confidence that Gundy is willing to lose games so he can get his way - whether that is with the QB situation or with our physicality in the run game. He is literally ok with losing games as long as we stick to his script.
Some coaches are stubborn . That is why they are success or failure with the stubbornness.

For us to be a good team and be a consistent winners (in the long run and NOT JUST THIS GAME!) we have to be able to run and pass block better.

We have the pieces at the OLs, They have to work as a team better.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

Some coaches are stubborn . That is why they are success or failure with the stubbornness.

For us to be a good team and be a consistent winners (in the long run and NOT JUST THIS GAME!) we have to be able to run and pass block better.

We have the pieces at the OLs, They have to work as a team better.
OR you could call plays that don't expose your weakness, like short quick routes, miss direction or swing passes. Toss plays to a running back. As opposed to what we run consistently long developing pass plays and running between the tackles and WR screens with poor blocking

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
OR you could call plays that don't expose your weakness, like short quick routes, miss direction or swing passes. Toss plays to a running back. As opposed to what we run consistently long developing pass plays and running between the tackles and WR screens with poor blocking

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
...but many of us here bitches dunk left, dink right and swing passes before?

Nov 24, 2008
No one seems to be accepting of the reason HCMG gave us about this QB situation. And that is simply that Taylor knows this offense better than any other candidate. Therefore, he gives us the best chance of winning at this point and until the staff feels one of the others has the understanding/reps they need. I would not be surprised one bit if coach will limp along with Cornelius/Brown until game 10 when he can insert Sanders at the throttle without have to burn his RS like he did with the Garman/Rudolph situation in 2014. And if Sanders performs as anticipated, HCMG will look like a a hero again pulling the Pokes back together at years end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk