Program Asessment

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 2, 2011
Where do you guys really think we are as a football program?

It seems to me we've won a lot of close games in the past few years but really haven't played great football. Our offensive success masked bad defense and pitiful special teams.

This year we seem to be average at best in all three phases. We gave up 48 points at home to a bad offensive team without their best player and with a third team QB. Pathetic. Our offensive line struggles have only worsened. We can't block ISU? I struggle to see how this gets turned around this year. We can't win a conference home game against a mediocre team.

So what does that say about our program? We get outrecruited by many of our competitors and our HC is fine with that. We seem to have plateaued and the trend is going downwards.

Where does it go from here?

Sep 17, 2007
So Cal
I have said this for a couple of years now and will say it again.

Our program is not on the decline, in reality things have never been better. Our HC has a puffed up ego that's worth $4.2m. We have literally installed a monarchy, nobody will ever be better.....its the best we can do.

The king himself has brought in a mediocre supporting cast time and time again cause getting good ones are too expensive, they don't listen to orders and would eat into his own profits.

He’s also an expert at claiming important things don’t matter like recruiting, practicing like normal teams and forming a good relationship with the sports news media.

So it depends on whose perspective you are looking through. Our program has been quite successful for a few people.....

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
From an overall standpoint, I agree with Coach Holder in regards to recruiting. Coach Gundy has always been able to go out and recruit NFL talent at the offensive skill positions. He hasn't done the same on the offensive line and on the defensive side of the ball. There is a smaller number of talented players at those positions. Coach Gundy and his staff haven't won enough recruiting battles. We'll never be able to out-recruit blue blood programs like Alabama, OU, & Texas. But we need to be able to win recruiting battles against other top 25 programs like Texas A&M. We won't take the next step forward as a program until we upgrade our recruiting.

The older you get, the more you become set in your ways. It's more difficult to change the way you think as you get older. Coach Gundy has been set in his ways for some time now. He's lost his aggressive edge. He's much more content to sit back and manage games. We tend to play not to lose instead of playing to win. The only way to change the way you think once you get older is through pain. As crazy as it sounds, struggling to go .500 and hearing boos from the fanbase may do Coach Gundy good.

So where do we go from here? Coach Gundy has gone out year after year and done everything he can to increase his salary. This needs to stop. We need to stop padding Coach Gundy's salary and start increasing our position coaching budget and recruiting budget. We shouldn't have a single position coach that can't consistently win recruiting battles against non-blue blood programs.

The last point I want to make may be a little controversial. Somewhere along the way Coach Gundy decided he was only going to recruit players that fit our culture. We have fewer player arrests now, but it's clear that our defense isn't talented enough to compete at an elite level. Perrish Cox was undoubtedly a knucklehead. But he was also might be the best corner Coach Gundy has ever had. If our coaching staff isn't talented enough to recruit elite talent on the defensive side of the ball that fit our culture, we'll have to start recruiting more players like Perrish Cox and manage them while they're on campus. Obviously this shouldn't be our preference. But something has to change.

Oct 30, 2007
We very easily may finish 9th in the big12. That is pretty close to the bottom. Based upon our recruiting, we probably stay in the 7-10 spot in the conference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
From an overall standpoint, I agree with Coach Holder in regards to recruiting. Coach Gundy has always been able to go out and recruit NFL talent at the offensive skill positions. He hasn't done the same on the offensive line and on the defensive side of the ball. There is a smaller number of talented players at those positions. Coach Gundy and his staff haven't won enough recruiting battles. We'll never be able to out-recruit blue blood programs like Alabama, OU, & Texas. But we need to be able to win recruiting battles against other top 25 programs like Texas A&M. We won't take the next step forward as a program until we upgrade our recruiting.

The older you get, the more you become set in your ways. It's more difficult to change the way you think as you get older. Coach Gundy has been set in his ways for some time now. He's lost his aggressive edge. He's much more content to sit back and manage games. We tend to play not to lose instead of playing to win. The only way to change the way you think once you get older is through pain. As crazy as it sounds, struggling to go .500 and hearing boos from the fanbase may do Coach Gundy good.

So where do we go from here? Coach Gundy has gone out year after year and done everything he can to increase his salary. This needs to stop. We need to stop padding Coach Gundy's salary and start increasing our position coaching budget and recruiting budget. We shouldn't have a single position coach that can't consistently win recruiting battles against non-blue blood programs.

The last point I want to make may be a little controversial. Somewhere along the way Coach Gundy decided he was only going to recruit players that fit our culture. We have fewer player arrests now, but it's clear that our defense isn't talented enough to compete at an elite level. Perrish Cox was undoubtedly a knucklehead. But he was also might be the best corner Coach Gundy has ever had. If our coaching staff isn't talented enough to recruit elite talent on the defensive side of the ball that fit our culture, we'll have to start recruiting more players like Perrish Cox and manage them while they're on campus. Obviously this shouldn't be our preference. But something has to change.
Win recruiting battles with A&M? Lol let’s beat out Baylor first

Oct 30, 2007
Win recruiting battles with A&M? Lol let’s beat out Baylor first
It's an absolute embarrassment that we're getting out-recruited by Baylor. There's no excuse for it. That's a reflection of what a young and hungry coaching staff can do. Coach Gundy's top ranked class was his very first one where he was coming off a 4-7 season and recruiting to rustoleum stadium. He needs to set aside the complacency and find that hunger again.

Oct 30, 2007
Perrish Cox??? Seriously...wow. You guys are really reaching. Come in off the ledge. The sun will rise tomorrow.
Perrish Cox was an elite lock down corner and kick returner. His senior season in 2009 was Coach Gundy's top ranked defense by far. He's the best corner Coach Gundy has ever had. There's a reason why he played for nearly a decade in the NFL.

I know he was a knucklehead. He missed curfew right before the bowl game and got suspended. But he still had a major impact on this program. Can you honestly say you wouldn't want a player like him on this current team?

Sep 9, 2013
most experts had Oklahoma State 6-6 based on what you lost. No offense, but you're not Alabama, and you can't win 10 plus every year, especially when Texas, Texas Tech, and WVU are all better than last year.
Iowa State may be a much tougher out with the freshman qb.

that said, now that Oklahoma State has 2 losses at home, id want to take a look at my freshman phenom over the course of next 4 games and see what I had, and give him meaningful game snaps for next year.

Oct 30, 2007
If you had said we need more Kevin Petersons and Justin gilberts Id be right there with you. But sure...more Perrish Cox's. While we're at it lets sprinkle a Prentiss Elliott in there too.
Don't get me wrong on this. I don't want to toss our morals out the window. The last thing we want is to become what Baylor was under Briles. I would never recruit a player with gang ties like Prentiss Elliott. I would never recruit a player with a sexual assault case hanging over his head like Chris Collins.

To me there are three different categories of recruits. Good kids, bad kids, and gray area kids. My preference would be to recruit a roster full of good kids like Peterson and Gilbert, but if you can't win those recruiting battles, you have to look at gray area kids like Perrish Cox. Think about Dez Bryant. He was an academic risk coming out of Lufkin. When he was here, he had to have a team manager wake him up to get him to go to class and practice. I'm sure he was a huge headache for the coaching staff to manage. But he made a huge impact on the program.

I'm sure the coaching staff hates managing players like Cox and Bryant, but you aren't going to compete at an elite level without athletes like them.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Nebraska 0-5
Arkansas 1-5
UCLA 0-5

The one win is against an FCS program. As bad as it may seem at the moment, as a program we're better than them.
They all change head coaches a lot. I don't want to change the head coach, but I want him to feel some pressure and analyze what we have been struggling at and have a plan to make some changes even if they're difficult.