Price ?-Buying Used Car from dealer

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
So my wife wants a Buick enclave.looking at 2016-17 with 20-30k miles.prices are around 22k.i have never bought FROM a dealer.always buy FROM a individual on craigslist or autotrader.i have found out very few people sell their own anymore.seems like the dealers will not come off the price at all.i find it hard to believe I have to pay full price for a vehicle that they bought at wholesale on a trade in.i walked away from a deal at Joe cooper Ford IN Edmond over tires.the vehicle NEEDED them and they would not come off the price AND would only sell me tires at their cost.

Please advise on the pricing discount I can expect off of asking price and what dealers TO avoid.looking at one at Jackie cooper direct auto sales IN Edmond and Fowler in tulsa.

Aug 16, 2012
Bought a car through Carvana last spring. Easy. No haggling. Prices lower than dealers. All mechanical components thoroughly checked and verified. Can find just about anything you want. They deliver to your door or you can go into the showroom, drop a ceremonial coin and watch the thing come down the "vending machine". I never buy new anyway (why pay 25-40% of the purchase price for the first year alone?) and now I will never step foot on another dealer lot.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I shopped at Carmax in Houston a couple times, never bought because I wasn't thrilled with everything being
their "No Haggle" pricing. Two years ago, after doing a lot of research (rare for me), I selected on line a 3 year old Silverado, just under 50,000 miles, priced right around $30,000 from Carmax in Tulsa. They allow you to place a hold on the vehicle when you set an appointment to view. I was really pleased with every facet of my purchase and highly recommend.

PS: it had brand new tires, not even mentioned on line!

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
The last two vehicles we bought were from "no haggle" dealerships and I love it. You can compare prices online and many sites indicate whether the price is fair, good or great.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Bought a car through Carvana last spring. Easy. No haggling. Prices lower than dealers. All mechanical components thoroughly checked and verified. Can find just about anything you want. They deliver to your door or you can go into the showroom, drop a ceremonial coin and watch the thing come down the "vending machine". I never buy new anyway (why pay 25-40% of the purchase price for the first year alone?) and now I will never step foot on another dealer lot.
Some cars are worth buying new but some cars definitely not. Example, I own a Subaru WRX STI (bought new) and a Ford Explorer Sport (bought used). The Subaru definitely holds it value better but the big "buy new" point for me was not having to worry about a vape bro molesting the engine before I got it... The Ford on the other hand I would NEVER buy new... We bought a 2yr old Sport with about 50k on it for $26k (original msrp $41k).

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Some cars are worth buying new but some cars definitely not. Example, I own a Subaru WRX STI (bought new) and a Ford Explorer Sport (bought used). The Subaru definitely holds it value better but the big "buy new" point for me was not having to worry about a vape bro molesting the engine before I got it... The Ford on the other hand I would NEVER buy new... We bought a 2yr old Sport with about 50k on it for $26k (original msrp $41k).
^^this^^

Pickup trucks have gotten so ridiculously expensive, but there are some models now that hold 85% of value on MSRP after they're 3 years old. This has really changed my thought process on buying new, with certain vehicles.

Also, to the OP, the dealers are in it to make money afterall.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I thought we were all highly affluent posters who needn’t be bothered with such trivial matters

I can also run a 4.3 forty and bench press 300 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I thought we were all highly affluent posters who needn’t be bothered with such trivial matters

I can also run a 4.3 forty and bench press 300 lbs

Vertical? My 4.29 forty and 300 lb bench comes with a 46" vertical leap, not bad for 64

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I gave up on OKC area dealers awhile ago. I’ve bought my last four vehicles in:

Branson, MO
Austin, TX
Shreveport, LA
Orlando, FL

Even with all of the travel costs, I’ve saved thousands over what the local guys refused to haggle on. Some of the out of town dealers even covered my airfare. Hell, I may have actually saved close to $10k on those 4 purchases over the local prices. I don’t even search local dealer inventories any more.

Aug 16, 2012
I gave up on OKC area dealers awhile ago. I’ve bought my last four vehicles in:

Branson, MO
Austin, TX
Shreveport, LA
Orlando, FL

Even with all of the travel costs, I’ve saved thousands over what the local guys refused to haggle on. Some of the out of town dealers even covered my airfare. Hell, I may have actually saved close to $10k on those 4 purchases over the local prices. I don’t even search local dealer inventories any more.
That is the beauty of carvana. They essentially do the same and ship the car to you at no extra charge. FIL just bought a crossover that was available in Wisconsin and they delivered it to his door in Oregon in less than a week.

About six months ago, I was working with investors looking to buy the real property assets being used by ADESA which is one of the biggest automobile resale wholesalers in the country. The site was something like 180 acres jam-packed with tens of thousands of cars they ran through various inspection, maintenance (tune-ups to overhauls) and repair (minor fender benders to full, re-skinning and frame work) before auctioning them off in a series of bays they called "The Bullpen". Title was appropriate as it felt just like a meat processing plant and I left swearing i would never buy a used car that has ever been through that process.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That is the beauty of carvana. They essentially do the same and ship the car to you at no extra charge. FIL just bought a crossover that was available in Wisconsin and they delivered it to his door in Oregon in less than a week.

About six months ago, I was working with investors looking to buy the real property assets being used by ADESA which is one of the biggest automobile resale wholesalers in the country. The site was something like 180 acres jam-packed with tens of thousands of cars they ran through various inspection, maintenance (tune-ups to overhauls) and repair (minor fender benders to full, re-skinning and frame work) before auctioning them off in a series of bays they called "The Bullpen". Title was appropriate as it felt just like a meat processing plant and I left swearing i would never buy a used car that has ever been through that process.
Maybe a dumb question, but how do you find that information out if there's no CarFax?

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
truecar?

How it works

1. See what others paid
Tell us what you're looking for and we share what your neighbors paid.

2. Real pricing on actual cars
Browse inventory from the comfort of your home.

3. Get competitive pricing
Local dealers provide pricing on vehicles that match your preferences.

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/buick/enclave-pricing/?
I used Truecar here in Texas and it worked great. Tried using it in NM and it was a disaster. Closest dealers I got to give a competitive quote was AZ

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Ended up buying a white 2016 Buick enclave.20k miles.captain seats in 2nd row.looks sharp.never really considered a Buick but the enclave seems to ride smooth.smaller than a large SUV and has a v6 to help with mileage.it was a lease vehicle previously.bought it from Fowler Toyota in Tulsa.i hate the slimy feeling of all dealerships.i would rather buy from a individual.not to mention the bs $399 doc fee.21k out the door.it sold for 37k new 3 yrs ago.we had a Honda crv but my wife wanted a larger newer vehicle.i love the honda pilot but she wanted 2nd row captain seats and not that many mid size SUV's have them.most are larger like the Tahoe or expedition.Just glad my wife will shut the hell up now.

My feeling is get a good car and maintain it and drive it until it blows up.i did that with my civic.saves on insurance and excise tax.

Attachments

Aug 16, 2012
Ended up buying a white 2016 Buick enclave.20k miles.captain seats in 2nd row.looks sharp.never really considered a Buick but the enclave seems to ride smooth.smaller than a large SUV and has a v6 to help with mileage.it was a lease vehicle previously.bought it from Fowler Toyota in Tulsa.i hate the slimy feeling of all dealerships.i would rather buy from a individual.not to mention the bs $399 doc fee.21k out the door.it sold for 37k new 3 yrs ago.we had a Honda crv but my wife wanted a larger newer vehicle.i love the honda pilot but she wanted 2nd row captain seats and not that many mid size SUV's have them.most are larger like the Tahoe or expedition.Just glad my wife will shut the hell up now.

My feeling is get a good car and maintain it and drive it until it blows up.i did that with my civic.saves on insurance and excise tax.
Mom has one, I have driven it many times and and quite impressed. Only thing I do not like is the LED ring of light that comes on at night around the outer edge of the dash where it hits the surrounding windows and A-pillars. Sister has one. No less than four neighbors have one. Seems to be a quality vehicle.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Here's a bit of a story. Went to Sams 5star Ford in lewisville Texas and wanted their best truck. I figured that way we wouldn't waste time. They showed me the platinum and told me to test drive it like I stole it. So I did. Hadn't seen anything else yet, just shopping but I made an offhand comment that if you came off that price 25% today I'd take it. Knowing full well they would never agree. They agreed. 7 years later, I'm still in love with my Lita Ford.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Here's a bit of a story. Went to Sams 5star Ford in lewisville Texas and wanted their best truck. I figured that way we wouldn't waste time. They showed me the platinum and told me to test drive it like I stole it. So I did. Hadn't seen anything else yet, just shopping but I made an offhand comment that if you came off that price 25% today I'd take it. Knowing full well they would never agree. They agreed. 7 years later, I'm still in love with my Lita Ford.
It's crazy how domestic companies like Ford/Dodge/Chevy can sell for so far below MSRP but when you deal with foreign brands like Subaru they DO NOT BUDGE. I ordered mine and was able to get it at invoice ($1k below MSRP) only because the dealership was still trying to build business and I name dropped a friend that had brought them a lot of business so far. They told me that cars on the lot they will only take up to $500 off. There's one Subaru dealer in Colorado that is a high volume dealership and people order from them all over the country and they only offer $2k below invoice which is considered a STEAL for Subarus. (Well, for the WRX/STI line at least.)