Presidential meltdown coming?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
I assume everyone on here who has actually worked the mandatory 40 quarters to qualify for SS benefits receives a statement in the mail every year from the SSA that shows how much you and your employers have paid in SS taxes. Mine is north of $300,000. That number has not been adjusted for inflation.

Some of you know I am an Econ professor. One of my lectures covers present/future value. As an assignment, a few years ago I gave the students the numbers for the amount my employers and I paid in each year (I didn't reveal those were my numbers), along with the Treasury Note rate for each year and had them compute the amount that would be in that account at that time. Today, the value would be over $1,000,000. I could live to be 100 and never recoup that, since there would still be interest being paid every year until I get to an account balance of zero.

Is Social Security a good deal? No.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I assume everyone on here who has actually worked the mandatory 40 quarters to qualify for SS benefits receives a statement in the mail every year from the SSA that shows how much you and your employers have paid in SS taxes. Mine is north of $300,000. That number has not been adjusted for inflation.

Some of you know I am an Econ professor. One of my lectures covers present/future value. As an assignment, a few years ago I gave the students the numbers for the amount my employers and I paid in each year (I didn't reveal those were my numbers), along with the Treasury Note rate for each year and had them compute the amount that would be in that account at that time. Today, the value would be over $1,000,000. I could live to be 100 and never recoup that, since there would still be interest being paid every year until I get to an account balance of zero.

Is Social Security a good deal? No.
Yet both sides continue to just kick the can down the road...

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Christ said "the poor you shall always have with you". And He tells us how to treat them as well. The Bible states: " If a man won't work, he shouldn't eat". Thanks to the Clinton administration, modern welfare forced a work requirement and time limits. However, none of the above mentions corporations. Imho corporate welfare should be cut way before human welfare. Citizens United is an abomination. They are now considered near immortal humans and money is free speech. But they don't get just one vote, they have the power now to buy elections with help from one party or the other. It's not we the people, instead it's we the oligarchy.
You do realize that corporate welfare and human welfare are not even close to the same thing right?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Why would tax payers not get something out of the system if they get in their quarters?

It's like public schools you all hate do much. Others pay for my kids then I pay for theirs. Then they pay for my grand kids and I pay for theirs. Social Security isn't much different just National which I understand you detest.
My sister died at 52 - she got nothing out of it, and paid for over 30 years.

It's not like public schools - those are state and local taxes. I can live in the sticks and home school if I wanted. It is much, much different....

AND.....

NATIONAL is what I'm complaining about - it is not provided in the Constitution, and is a violation of my rights. The Federal Government and Authority should be extremely limited, as it was originally designed. We deserve to actually be free of government oppression, as was promised to us.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Bush 43 survived being an idiot as president for 8 long years. So can Trump. But in 8 years, Trump may beat out Bush and become America's worst president.
Most list start with Harding who was guilty of numerous affairs even producing children with other women while in the office and being blackmailed, he also used the office for nefarious reasons (teapot dome scandal), He also had several know criminals on his cabinet who defrauded the government and tax payers out of millions. It's really funny when people put Bush, Obama, or Trump on these list because so far these three aren't even in the top 10 of worst American Presidents. I'd say a bit of US history class is in order for the masses who can't see beyond their era. We are living in, perhaps, the greatest economic and free period of time in our entire history as a nation (since Carter left office and Reagan was elected). We have been in this time for about 35 years...none of the Presidents in this period are in the top 10 worst in our history and it's not close basically due to our economy, checks and balances, and our historic results as a nation during this period. Silly comment.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2013
Left field

It's not like public schools - those are state and local taxes. I can live in the sticks and home school if I wanted. It is much, much different....

AND.....

NATIONAL is what I'm complaining about - it is not provided in the Constitution, and is a violation of my rights. The Federal Government and Authority should be extremely limited, as it was originally designed. We deserve to actually be free of government oppression, as was promised to us.
Good luck with that

Jul 20, 2018

AND.....

For some reason, the federal government decided to not comply with the 10th amendment. I still don't understand how SCOTUS didn't take care of that.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I don't see a question mark, so I assume that is a statement of fact.

anyway... remind me again what Bush was impeached and disbarred for.....
What Clinton did while president that led to his impeachment by the House and disbarment did not directly hurt many people. What happened while Bush was president did hurt a lot of people. For starters, when Bush left office, the Dow Jones industrial Index stood 26.5% lower than the day when he entered office. So much for the notion that investing long term in the stock market is a good idea. If invested in the stock market, be worried a little more than usual when a Republican is president.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
What Clinton did while president that led to his impeachment by the House and disbarment did not directly hurt many people. What happened while Bush was president did hurt a lot of people. For starters, when Bush left office, the Dow Jones industrial Index stood 26.5% lower than the day when he entered office. So much for the notion that investing long term in the stock market is a good idea. If invested in the stock market, be worried a little more than usual when a Republican is president.
learn your history.... CLINTON polices led to the housing melt-down, Bush tried to change it.

CLINTON left office with the US in RECESSION.

Every kid for 2 decades grew up thinking that BJ's were not "having sex" - you freaking moron.

Bill Clinton was a complete disaster for the country - including CAUSING 911 by doing nothing despite all of the warnings.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
learn your history.... CLINTON polices led to the housing melt-down, Bush tried to change it.

CLINTON left office with the US in RECESSION.

Every kid for 2 decades grew up thinking that BJ's were not "having sex" - you freaking moron.

Bill Clinton was a complete disaster for the country - including CAUSING 911 by doing nothing despite all of the warnings.
You are so all out WRONG about Bill Clinton being a complete disaster for the country. The recession began in March of 2001, two months after Clinton left office. Also many more millions of jobs were created while Clinton was president than with Bush. So the economy performed well. If you try to deny that, then you'd only look like a poorly informed fool. You need to try to wake up and accept the truth. Kids learned you can get in big, embarassing trouble for lying even if you are president.

If any bad events and economic problems could have been prevented while Bush was president, he sure didn't act to stop them and so went on to become one of the worst presidents in modern times. Furthermore, even when Bush tried to act, his economic stimulus checks could not prevent his 2nd recession.

Last edited: