Preseason AP Poll released

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Well, the AP ranking is a little better than our last few recruiting classes have been ranked. So, what’s the issue? The definition of insanity comes to mind.
Your point is unclear to me, but if you’re saying we shouldn’t be rated highly because of our recruiting, that is misleading. We actually have the 15th best ratio of performance vs recruiting rating. This is just from 2015-16, but it’s the best I could find quickly.

97667E4D-D4A4-469A-8AF9-30A8680BFB99.jpeg

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
There should be no polls until the only one that matters shows up: The playoff committee poll.
That would drive the media nuts. No top 10, or even top 25, matchups? They’d probably create their own poll. “Select” journalists would vote. They would promote the big market teams, blue bloods, and media darlings. They’d release rankings before the season even starts. Basically, self-fulfilling prophecy. It would have so much bias and irrelevance...

... oh, wait...

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Well, sure there should be more than one game played before a poll. The more games played before a poll diminishes the pure prejudice seen in no games played polls.
You are correct and that is how it should be, maybe even two or three games; but it won't happen. One - media needs to sell hits, reads, etc., and Two - this allows the traditional Blue Bloods to start highly ranked so they have to lose their way out of the ranking.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Well, sure there should be more than one game played before a poll. The more games played before a poll diminishes the pure prejudice seen in no games played polls.
It drives clicks and gives people something to debate when we're counting down to the season. I think we all get it doesn't count for anything. The way I see it, either it confirms the anticipation of a good season or I look forward to us proving them wrong.