Preseason All Big 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 2, 2012
Not sure who else to pick, probably Sterns, but I thought it was funny Murray is the preseason DPOY. He's the best player on one of the worst defenses. Everyone will say he makes a lot of tackles, which he does, but again he wouldn't have to make so many if the guys around him were better.
I definitely see your point. However, it's a good sign when linebackers are making a lot of tackles. It means the defensive line is getting hands on (squeezing) blockers and not being selfish. That said, Murray's fits are feast or famine. Sometimes he has looked lost trying to fit off his defensive linemen.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
I definitely see your point. However, it's a good sign when linebackers are making a lot of tackles. It means the defensive line is getting hands on (squeezing) blockers and not being selfish. That said, Murray's fits are feast or famine. Sometimes he has looked lost trying to fit off his defensive linemen.
Agreed. Not saying he's bad, I just think there are better candidates.

Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
What is funny is that OU fans have been hating on Murray since he got on campus. Some say that he was hamstrung by Mike Stoops scheme(or lack thereof) and others say he lacks instincts to read plays and be in the right spot. He had 26 tackles against Army last year and 25 were at least 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't really understand how TCU is expected to make a better turnaround than we are... they are in much worse shape from a reloading perspective. No idea who their QB will be. Not much by the way of offensive weapons. Defense should be solid as usual, but they'll struggle in the way they usually do on offense.

I don't think Fat Pat has earned any more benefit of doubt than Gundy has.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
For some reason he often does. Even around here.
I know and it really pisses me off. He's not a better coach than Gundy. People just look at the first 12 years of his career where he took advantage of Big 12 leftovers that were still super talented and then beat up on the little sisters of the poor in the WAC and MWC.

If TCU was playing with a hand tied behind their back like SMU or Rice or any other reputable private school in the region then he would've moved on quickly... but he got them to pay him handsomely, mostly in mineral rights, and also relax their admissions standards for athletes. There's also the drug issues and assault issues that used to get swept under the rug... but Baylor overshadowed them there.

Fat Pat has gotten lucky with his success. Gundy took something that was a smoldering heap of garbage, in the middle of nowhere, and has turned it into a contender... why that isn't enough for some people is disgusting to me.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I know and it really pisses me off. He's not a better coach than Gundy. People just look at the first 12 years of his career where he took advantage of Big 12 leftovers that were still super talented and then beat up on the little sisters of the poor in the WAC and MWC.

If TCU was playing with a hand tied behind their back like SMU or Rice or any other reputable private school in the region then he would've moved on quickly... but he got them to pay him handsomely, mostly in mineral rights, and also relax their admissions standards for athletes. There's also the drug issues and assault issues that used to get swept under the rug... but Baylor overshadowed them there.

Fat Pat has gotten lucky with his success. Gundy took something that was a smoldering heap of garbage, in the middle of nowhere, and has turned it into a contender... why that isn't enough for some people is disgusting to me.
Because

168C729F-1C23-4528-927B-2FDE77FAC9B4.gif

Aug 7, 2006
I think their defense being consistently good is why they tend to get the benefit of the doubt over us... and rightly or wrongly, people consider Patterson a better coach for whatever reason.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think their defense being consistently good is why they tend to get the benefit of the doubt over us... and rightly or wrongly, people consider Patterson a better coach for whatever reason.
They won the last 2 so that may be in people's heads but we have been more consistent.

Since TCU joined the Big 12 we have had 0 seasons below 7 wins TCU has had 3. OSU won 68% of our conference games, TCU 64%. We have beaten them 4 - 3 head to head.

Not a big difference, but by most measures, we still win.