Predict the Score: OSU vs Boise St

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
TCU is not OSU. Duke is also not OSU. I don't think he's doubting the 4-2-5 scheme so much as he's doubting OSU can actually play good defense.
Well we have much better athletes than Duke...so there's that. I think we can and will play very good on defense Saturday and that is what's going to win this game...Certainly that is my hope anyway.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I am actually concerned about this game. Reminds me of TCU last year and I am afraid we will see the same. They will come in ready to go, we'll waste a half of offense not adjusting to what they're doing and we won't have the deep ball this time to help keep us in the game. Defense will hold as long as it can but will end up giving up some big plays and points. We'll have a couple of WTF 3 and out series at terrible times and ST's will cost us maybe 10 in this game.

I think mid q3 we're in a hole and we'll try to come back, just don't think it will be enough. Sunday on @RxCowboy coaches thread we'll all be saying "if this and if that's" and wondering how we didn't play better.

Really hope I am wrong but it just screams TCU all over again. I really hope it's a coming out party for the defense and the offense proves that mostate and USA were the norm, not cupcakes.

Boise: 45
OSU: 37
Here's the difference, we pretty much all overlooked TCU, the stadium was dead that day...Almost no one thought we would lose that game, this game is only similar because it's a day game in September....Otherwise it's night and day in terms of hype. Don't forget, we were also fresh off a great road win at WVU and had a let down (btw, we had numerous injuries to the OL that day as well). We are healthy and focused...it's going to be interesting, and certainly very close, IMHO. We wait to see.

Last edited:

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Those making all the arguments about why we will lose remind me of stock market bears. They market goes up about 70% of the time. And since Gundy took over we have won 68.3% of the time. But market bears spend hours and hours combing through ever detail to prove that the market should not go up. They consider themselves smarter, wiser, and not drinkers of kool aid They are more serious and intelectual. And when they are right (30% of the time) they go on TV to tell everyone how awesome they are. They of course ignore the fact that they had been calling for the market to go down for 5 years prior to it actually going down.

So yes, we will lose games this year probably about 2-4. And those long posted pontificators will tell all the rest of us how right they were and how they were geniuses. To me, its a lot more fun to go with it. Drink the kool aid, and if we lose, we lose. It's not like we are the players who truly work their arses off and should feel demoralized when they come up short. Or the coaches whose incomes ultimately depend on winning or losing. We are just fans.

Oh and for the stock market perma-bears, Roar all you want. Stop loss orders mitigate your fury.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
The point is that I've seen our "new defense" get lit up many times over the years, so my stance is that I will assume the "new defense" isn't going to work until I actually see it work.
Exactly how I feel about the offense. I expect it to be good until I see it isn’t. I mean it’s been good every year for a long time.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Those making all the arguments about why we will lose remind me of stock market bears. They market goes up about 70% of the time. And since Gundy took over we have won 68.3% of the time. But market bears spend hours and hours combing through ever detail to prove that the market should not go up. They consider themselves smarter, wiser, and not drinkers of kool aid They are more serious and intelectual. And when they are right (30% of the time) they go on TV to tell everyone how awesome they are. They of course ignore the fact that they had been calling for the market to go down for 5 years prior to it actually going down.

So yes, we will lose games this year probably about 2-4. And those long posted pontificators will tell all the rest of us how right they were and how they were geniuses. To me, its a lot more fun to go with it. Drink the kool aid, and if we lose, we lose. It's not like we are the players who truly work their arses off and should feel demoralized when they come up short. Or the coaches whose incomes ultimately depend on winning or losing. We are just fans.

Oh and for the stock market perma-bears, Roar all you want. Stop loss orders mitigate your fury.
Not a fan of that comparison, but I agree in games like this it is more enjoyable to be optimistic. Right now it looks like I'll be predicting we'll lose to OU, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. At this point in time every other game looks winnable.
I think this game is a complete toss up, it's in Stillwater, and Boise doesn't look as scary as they did 7 years ago. So I have faith that we can do it.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Boise State: 48
OSU: 17

I think reality is getting ready to slap us in the face. Go ahead, down-vote my post; call me what you will. We've relied on the deep ball for so long, that it has masked the fact that an accurate deep ball is our "Vince Young/Colt McCoy" savior aka deep ball made-up for bad defenses and way below average o-line play (without Young and McCoy, Texas sucks. Without the deep ball, our offenses would've sucked in Rudolph era. For those times when the deep ball was not there in Rudolph era, defenses easily stopped our offenses)

I've watched Boise State's game against UCONN and became ill with every correct decision Boise State's QB made. He did not make one mistake. Not one. He goes through his progressions with speed, and always threw it correctly according to the defensive situation. He never put his WR's is bad situations, not once. He throws it with absolute precision. He's a legitimate QB; NFL talent, IMO.

Then, to make things worse, BS has an excellent defensive unit. Most notably, its d-line utterly dominated UCONN'S o-line, as if they were made of bubble wrap. There are several NFL-talent players on that defensive team; very athletic and fast.

OSU, well, I just don't know about TC. At times he makes good decisions; other times he makes bad decisions. And then there are the those times when be put WR's in dangerous situations. When TC is under pressure, he makes terrible decisions...

Which leads me to our o-line. Our o-line is weak. Against inferior teams, the defense was able to apply pressure on TC far too many times. And when I think of Boise's d-line, yikes. I think they're going to welcome TC to the world of big boy collegiate football.

The deep ball is no longer available, unfortunately. That has been our key to success, for many seasons. We may have quality RB's, but they sure didn't impress against South Alabama. This is due to the weak o-line. I think Boise State's powerful d-line (well, all-around great defensive unit) will be the reason we get blown out.

Obviously Boise State is not Alabama, as some are saying..which isn't even a legitimate argument (who are we, btw? Other than a few RB's and Bundage, eh, nothing special as of yet). BState is a legitimate team tho, that not one person should take lightly. They have several NFL-ready players on both sides of the ball.

I hope I'm dead wrong. I hope we utterly dominate and win the game. But, man...Boise State looked damn good, much better than we've looked thus far.

To those who are not mature enough to skip over a post you disagree with, I am a true OSU fan and always will be. I may only say what I think is true, according to my own reasoning. If you disagree, fine. We're all OSU fans here and it's kinda silly how fans on message boards attack other users, all because you disagree with whatever you've read.

There's a polarization of a mentality that you're either a sunshine pumper or a non-OSU fan for criticising/voicing an opinion that some find as negative. If you post in a "negative manner," people call you out, as if you're a POS non-fan. This type of behavior is simply elementary. Lose the polarization mentality that plauges this site and this board could become a much better experience for OSU fans. Just talk football, instead of summarizing posts as either sunshine or "negative." It's just silly.

There's a huge difference between talking football and calling people names/replying in a disrespectful manner. If you wanna reply in a respectful manner, I'll gladly engage in quality football talk. Otherwise, please don't waste my time with a disrespectful reply.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Thank you for making me a little more emotionally invested in the game this weekend. I reserve the right to call you names at a pivotal point in the game day thread.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
We've relied on the deep ball for so long, that it has masked the fact that an accurate deep ball is our "Vince Young/Colt McCoy" savior aka deep ball made-up for bad defenses and way below average o-line play (without Young and McCoy, Texas sucks. Without the deep ball, our offenses would've sucked in Rudolph era. For those times when the deep ball was not there in Rudolph era, defenses easily stopped our offenses)
This doesn't make any sense to me. You can't have success with the deep ball without decent protection. With poor protection there is no time to throw the deep ball.

You watched Boise State beat up on a couple of cupcakes. The QB has been playing since he was a freshman and it's an experienced team. Of course they're going to look good against those opponents.

We could indeed get clobbered, but I don't think they're as scary as you're making them out to be. They haven't played a ranked team since 2014 and unranked Baylor handled them easily in 2016.
If they were that good, they wouldn't have lost to Washington State, Fresno State, Wyoming, Air Force, and Baylor, over the last couple years.
Maybe they have reached 2010-2011 status, but we don't know that. Evidence in my previous sentences says no. We'll just have to find out. But right now it's unknown.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

I think reality is getting ready to slap us in the face. Go ahead, down-vote my post; call me what you will. We've relied on the deep ball for so long, that it has masked the fact that an accurate deep ball is our "Vince Young/Colt McCoy" savior aka deep ball made-up for bad defenses and way below average o-line play (without Young and McCoy, Texas sucks. Without the deep ball, our offenses would've sucked in Rudolph era. For those times when the deep ball was not there in Rudolph era, defenses easily stopped our offenses)

I've watched Boise State's game against UCONN and became ill with every correct decision Boise State's QB made. He did not make one mistake. Not one. He goes through his progressions with speed, and always threw it correctly according to the defensive situation. He never put his WR's is bad situations, not once. He throws it with absolute precision. He's a legitimate QB; NFL talent, IMO.

Then, to make things worse, BS has an excellent defensive unit. Most notably, its d-line utterly dominated UCONN'S o-line, as if they were made of bubble wrap. There are several NFL-talent players on that defensive team; very athletic and fast.

OSU, well, I just don't know about TC. At times he makes good decisions; other times he makes bad decisions. And then there are the those times when be put WR's in dangerous situations. When TC is under pressure, he makes terrible decisions...

Which leads me to our o-line. Our o-line is weak. Against inferior teams, the defense was able to apply pressure on TC far too many times. And when I think of Boise's d-line, yikes. I think they're going to welcome TC to the world of big boy collegiate football.

The deep ball is no longer available, unfortunately. That has been our key to success, for many seasons. We may have quality RB's, but they sure didn't impress against South Alabama. This is due to the weak o-line. I think Boise State's powerful d-line (well, all-around great defensive unit) will be the reason we get blown out.

Obviously Boise State is not Alabama, as some are saying..which isn't even a legitimate argument (who are we, btw? Other than a few RB's and Bundage, eh, nothing special as of yet). BState is a legitimate team tho, that not one person should take lightly. They have several NFL-ready players on both sides of the ball.

I hope I'm dead wrong. I hope we utterly dominate and win the game. But, man...Boise State looked damn good, much better than we've looked thus far.

To those who are not mature enough to skip over a post you disagree with, I am a true OSU fan and always will be. I may only say what I think is true, according to my own reasoning. If you disagree, fine. We're all OSU fans here and it's kinda silly how fans on message boards attack other users, all because you disagree with whatever you've read.

There's a polarization of a mentality that you're either a sunshine pumper or a non-OSU fan for criticising/voicing an opinion that some find as negative. If you post in a "negative manner," people call you out, as if you're a POS non-fan. This type of behavior is simply elementary. Lose the polarization mentality that plauges this site and this board could become a much better experience for OSU fans. Just talk football, instead of summarizing posts as either sunshine or "negative." It's just silly.

There's a huge difference between talking football and calling people names/replying in a disrespectful manner. If you wanna reply in a respectful manner, I'll gladly engage in quality football talk. Otherwise, please don't waste my time with a disrespectful reply.
I am going to argue that you should not be so ABSOLUTELY sure that the deep ball is no longer available. TC is not Mason when it comes to the deep ball but that does not mean it is dead to us. He has hit several already and we have WR talents to make up for some of the not perfect throws. Also you seem to forget we have better RB talent than any of the previous offenses under Gundy so even if the deep ball is not there as much the RBs should make up for a lot of that.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin

I’m glad you hope you’re dead wrong. Great disclaimer.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm not one of these posters who gets all bent out of shape for someone not picking us to win every game. But a 31 point loss, at home, to a Mountain West team?

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The easiest thing to do is ‘predict’ the Cowboys will get routed. You can cite stats, you can claim to have watched every second of both teams games you can talk about what you saw that makes you think that way.
But
You always have a built in cover;
If you’re right - well I told you so it wasn’t hard to see it coming, we can’t run, pass or execute simple plays we’re undisciplined blah blah blah
If you’re wrong - man this is best crow I’ve ever tasted, I don’t mind being wrong. Either way you get to play pigeon.

It’s not unique to this site I’ve seen it dozens of times.

Agent Orange

I like sport
A/V Subscriber
Jul 2, 2009
Moore
This is against Virginia last year (Boise lost 42-23) with very similar personnel. Not only did they lose, they got blown out. It was 42-14 in the 4th quarter when Boise waived the white flag and pulled Rypien.

Also, it should be noted that UCONN is one of the worst teams in division I. UCONN is so bad that they are starting TEN true freshmen this year. I would hope that Boise could blow them out.

Anyway, here’s some interesting stuff from their Virginia game. Disclaimer: you will find mistakes from this previously anointed mistake-free QB.

Nothing complicated here. Six men in the box, four-man pass rush with an inside stunt with LBs dropping back into zone responsibilities. Rypien stares down his receiver, and when he realizes that his man isn't getting open he tries to escape the pocket but lacks the speed and athleticism to get anywhere close to escaping. Virginia's DT wraps all the way around the edge to get heavy pressure in Rypien's face and forces intentional grounding. This shows me that Rypien struggles when faced with a dirty pocket. He lacks the ability to escape pressure and create plays. If his first or second read isn't open by the time pressure arrives we are either going to kill him or force an incompletion. Keep in mind, we have significantly better athletes and speed across the board than Virginia does.

https://gfycat.com/GenuineCorruptBrownbear

Next play... Seven-man rush. Inside LBs cross and leave the center clueless. For as experienced as this Boise O-Line is this play shows me they can be easily confused. When Virginia's LBs cross this puts their center into a conundrum, but he should know that picking up the free man running up the middle is the first priority. Center misses his block and causes a free man to the QB. Rypien doesn't see it until it's too late and decides to throw a deep ball into double coverage.

http://gfycat.com/AncientWealthyAnemone

Similar to the play above. Six-man rush this time with LBs crossing. The center allows a free man up the middle and Rypien throws a duck across the middle (catchable, but not a good throw) for a pick that seals the game.

https://gfycat.com/InsistentUnfinishedCornsnake

These next two GIFs illustrate just how bad Rypien is whenever the pocket starts collapsing. He has very little pocket awareness and just stands there stranded. This also shows that their O-Line is not as good as everyone is saying. They struggle with 4 man rushes, simple stunts, and their center frequently allows free rushes straight up the middle.

https://gfycat.com/EntireElatedAnnelid

https://gfycat.com/embellishedequalbandicoot

EXCELLENT analysis Agent Orange.

I'm also curious to see how they handle our offensive tempo. Their defense is good, but if they're getting winded by a high tempo offense...defensive depth could be a liability. Our intermediate game may be an advantage.

I see this being close until the mid 3rd quarter. We then pull away.

OSU 42
Boise 27

ostateim

3rd Doctor in Spies Like Us
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2008
Enid

Has anyone told you today how much you suck? Probably lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.