Post Game Thread WVU edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Although the OL struggled at times, at times they held up well. Rushing for over 200 yds on this DL is really impressive. They held up particularly in pass protection although we passed only 21 times. LD Brown continues to defy the odds, and Chuba continues to press for some reason. LD running like 2019 version or Chuba and Hubbard looking like 2019 LD Brown. Hubbard did have some nice runs in the 4th quarter. The fumbling is unacceptable, but he's had a fumbling problem his entire career. Once Hubbard gets on track, that 1-2 punch bodes well for us.

Passing game is lackluster, and I get Illingworth is a freshman, but I'm not impressed with Kasey Dunn's play calling. Lack of creativity is missing....and hopefully he figures it out as the season progresses. This lack of creativity isn't going to win a championship. It'll be interesting to see if Sanders returns next week. As much as everyone is gassing up LD and dogging Chuba...the story of the season for me is the kicking game. Alex Hale looks like the real deal, and Tom Hutton has improved dramatically.
I'm willing to wait until a full game with someone who knows the playbook, let alone knows it well enough to use 5+ different receiving options. The starting QB has barely practiced, let alone taken meaningful reps. He's not a 3rd or even 2nd year guy who's just getting his first starts but knows the system. He's a true freshman who didn't even get to really go through spring and fall camp. Even if he's an insanely fast learner, that's a steep climb. I expect creativity to be in short supply until Sanders is back and I'm mostly ok with it, especially if we still get the W. We got the W against the big 12 team that looked the best out of the non con openers, by the way. If you want to be upset, be upset that we have no close equivalent to a Chelf who can step in, manage the game, and allow for some creativity with a QB. But even then, let's take a deep breath, look at this week's college scoreboard and be happy that we got a win when lots of good teams didn't.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I'm willing to wait until a full game with someone who knows the playbook, let alone knows it well enough to use 5+ different receiving options. The starting QB has barely practiced, let alone taken meaningful reps. He's not a 3rd or even 2nd year guy who's just getting his first starts but knows the system. He's a true freshman who didn't even get to really go through spring and fall camp. Even if he's an insanely fast learner, that's a steep climb. I expect creativity to be in short supply until Sanders is back and I'm mostly ok with it, especially if we still get the W. We got the W against the big 12 team that looked the best out of the non con openers, by the way. If you want to be upset, be upset that we have no close equivalent to a Chelf who can step in, manage the game, and allow for some creativity with a QB. But even then, let's take a deep breath, look at this week's college scoreboard and be happy that we got a win when lots of good teams didn't.
You could've save the long winded answer...it was literally a waist of time lol...I'm far from upset.....I'm not asking for the entire playbook....and I know he's a freshman...that's literally stating the obvious. I also know that he was taking reps with the 2's before the contact tracing. We can literally do more than simply WR screens and chunk it deep. That's not even creative in the slightest, that's flat out being ultra conservative. You can find a few plays, get creative with different formations and still have receivers run the same route concept. Nothing wrong with asking a little more imagination in the play calling. Once again, please spare me the pollyanna speech...I really didn't need lol. If you re-read what I wrote, it really wasn't that bad.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You could've save the long winded answer...it was literally a waist of time lol...I'm far from upset.....I'm not asking for the entire playbook....and I know he's a freshman...that's literally stating the obvious. I also know that he was taking reps with the 2's before the contact tracing. We can literally do more than simply WR screens and chunk it deep. That's not even creative in the slightest, that's flat out being ultra conservative. You can find a few plays, get creative with different formations and still have receivers run the same route concept. Nothing wrong with asking a little more imagination in the play calling. Once again, please spare me the pollyanna speech...I really didn't need lol. If you re-read what I wrote, it really wasn't that bad.
Ok. No long winded speech? Pot meet kettle. Never said you were upset, just implied you were whining about something that can't be helped with a massively inexperienced QB. Short enough for ya?

Oct 30, 2007
It will be interesting to see how wvu fairs the rest of the way. They showed some glimpses of being a middle of the road big12 team but also some battle it out with KU stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Ok. No long winded speech? Pot meet kettle. Never said you were upset, just implied you were whining about something that can't be helped with a massively inexperienced QB. Short enough for ya?
There’s a difference between being critical and whining. Not everyone has to drink the orange kool aid. And yes that’s short enough.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
There’s a difference between being critical and whining. Not everyone has to drink the orange kool aid. And yes that’s short enough.
So, with a super vanilla and uncreative game plan, the true freshman QB still made substantive mistakes and your criticism is we didn't give him more to handle? Again, I'll reserve judgment on offensive creativity until we get to use SS for at least a full game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Seems impossible to really know what Dunn is capable of doing yet. Obviously limited game plan against Tulsa since it was the first opponent, covid disruptions, then SS getting injured. Then going with a true freshman in game 2 makes it equally tough to evaluate Dunn's creativity.

The problem, though, is that our TEs and RBs haven't been involved for YEARS. This isn't new. It's apparently just a limitation of our scheme if we can predict it based in past schemes. I'll start worrying if we look vanilla with SS, but until then I think we don't have enough data.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Long live OP Game Threadz!
Speaking of game threads -- the newest attempt at game threads is different and many don't like it. As for me, the jury is still out, but her's my two cents on the dealy-o.

What I do like about the old way we do game day threads is that you can watch the game, then during commercials, go back and catch up on who said what and when.
With the newest gig, it's pretty immediate and easy, but I found myself more captivated by the constant stream of comments than actually watching the game.
And once you've made an post, it gets quckly gobbled up by the quick addition of others, which I lose out on seeing what others are saying about the game.
I haven't looked to see if there's a way to run back all of the conversations as one can on our customary game threads.

I'm willing to try the newest way again until I get used to it, but if we stayed with the old way, it wouldn't bother me either.

So, much ado about nothing from me.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Okay, im back in my shell until basketball.

1. Your true freshman qb is better than our qb.
2. Your oline is better than our oline.
3. Our defensive coordinator was fired during the summer for making a remark about rioting:)
No money to replace him so we have co-def coors. promoted from within. A good dcor would have blitzed early and often to test your oline and make your qb take some hits and operate under fire. WVU rarely blitzed, indeed it went to a 3 man line:)

Oklahoma State's defensive coor > WVU group of def. coors.

WVU also shot itself in the foot several times. Makes one wonder if they even practiced.

OSU deserved the win, and they're the better team.

Good luck going forward.

What NB had to say:

"Today was not good enough," Brown started off the press conference by saying. "I'll say it a bunch, but that's the story of the game. It was an extremely disappointing performance. We were an undisciplined football team today. That's on myself and on our coaches. We talk all the time about WVU not beating WVU."

The Mountaineers had twelve penalties for over a hundred yards. They turned it over twice, including a strip sack that was returned for one touchdown, and a muffed field goal attempt that gave the ball back to the Cowboys. But the issues didn't stop there.

"We had twelve penalties. We gave them ten points on offense," said Brown. ".... We had a procedure penalty on 3rd-and-1 that gave them the ball back right before half. Just an uncalled, undisciplined... the receiver not getting lined up, the quarterback not looking. We give them a field goal there, so there's ten points we gave them on offense."

The defense played pretty stout for the majority of the game, but then gave up a couple of big plays due some miscommunication between the players and where they were supposed to fill the gaps.

"We had two misfits on the long runs," said Brown. "That's disappointing, because that's just discipline. If we just miss the tackle, that's going to happen. We were in the wrong gap. The communication wasn't great on defense."
I agree, @Nolaeer ..... your team does suck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Aug 2, 2011
The Good
1) Those Unis! Awesome
2) Shane's poise. Yes he made some mistskes but he looked pretty comfortable out there and didn't try to do too much. I was impressed
3) LD Brown!
4) We have a kicker!
5) D flying around and getting pressure. Gave up some yards but tightened when needed. SCORED A TD!
6) Those Unis
The Bad
1) Offensive line play...still lots of improvement needed
2) Defending the slant. What was going on there?
3) Offensive play calling...I understand with the young QB...but it would be nice to see some of our weapons get the ball. Do we have any plays that work the middle of the field?

The Ugly
1) Chuba's ball security
2) Mishandled snap between center and QB while trying to ice for the second week in a row
3) WVUs unis

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
So, with a super vanilla and uncreative game plan, the true freshman QB still made substantive mistakes and your criticism is we didn't give him more to handle? Again, I'll reserve judgment on offensive creativity until we get to use SS for at least a full game.
You do that

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I honestly thought the blocking was better, especially against the sills, still a lot of whiffs in the run game and the center is getting abused at times
Don’t disagree; I didn’t mean to imply I think they’re bad, rather, I was thinking more in terms of sustaining their blocks longer, even with a 3-step drop. QB still too hurried.

Oct 30, 2007
Okay, im back in my shell until basketball.

1. Your true freshman qb is better than our qb.
2. Your oline is better than our oline.
3. Our defensive coordinator was fired during the summer for making a remark about rioting:)
No money to replace him so we have co-def coors. promoted from within. A good dcor would have blitzed early and often to test your oline and make your qb take some hits and operate under fire. WVU rarely blitzed, indeed it went to a 3 man line:)

Oklahoma State's defensive coor > WVU group of def. coors.

WVU also shot itself in the foot several times. Makes one wonder if they even practiced.

OSU deserved the win, and they're the better team.

Good luck going forward.

What NB had to say:

"Today was not good enough," Brown started off the press conference by saying. "I'll say it a bunch, but that's the story of the game. It was an extremely disappointing performance. We were an undisciplined football team today. That's on myself and on our coaches. We talk all the time about WVU not beating WVU."

The Mountaineers had twelve penalties for over a hundred yards. They turned it over twice, including a strip sack that was returned for one touchdown, and a muffed field goal attempt that gave the ball back to the Cowboys. But the issues didn't stop there.

"We had twelve penalties. We gave them ten points on offense," said Brown. ".... We had a procedure penalty on 3rd-and-1 that gave them the ball back right before half. Just an uncalled, undisciplined... the receiver not getting lined up, the quarterback not looking. We give them a field goal there, so there's ten points we gave them on offense."

The defense played pretty stout for the majority of the game, but then gave up a couple of big plays due some miscommunication between the players and where they were supposed to fill the gaps.

"We had two misfits on the long runs," said Brown. "That's disappointing, because that's just discipline. If we just miss the tackle, that's going to happen. We were in the wrong gap. The communication wasn't great on defense."
I am glad you posted this. I did not know anything about Brown. Now I know he is a disrespectful punk. LD Brown run was very good blocking and actual speed as opposed to your clocking players at 90 mph. Chuba run did not matter which gap he fills. Chuba made the cut based on the gap, if he fills that gap chuba just goes left for a TD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I was going to say the same thing.
Coach Snyder would send handwritten notes to opposing players after a loss commending them on their play. Coach Brown isn’t a Snyder , but a whinny little loser

Oct 30, 2007
I was going to say the same thing.
Coach Snyder would send handwritten notes to opposing players after a loss commending them on their play. Coach Brown isn’t a Snyder , but a whinny little loser
He followed it up in Monday presser. Basically, WVU is far superior team they just made some mistakes, so they really won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk