Post Game Thread WVU edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 3, 2006
Defense really good. Kicker really good. Offense needs spencer but Shane has potential a few years down the road. Chuba needs to work harder and be more patient

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Illingworth made some dime passes. Esp the first play of the game. Need to find Stoner more. Too conservative/predictable in 2nd half. As others have said, defense played great considering how much they were on the field - secondary looks stout.

Sep 9, 2013
Okay, im back in my shell until basketball.

1. Your true freshman qb is better than our qb.
2. Your oline is better than our oline.
3. Our defensive coordinator was fired during the summer for making a remark about rioting:)
No money to replace him so we have co-def coors. promoted from within. A good dcor would have blitzed early and often to test your oline and make your qb take some hits and operate under fire. WVU rarely blitzed, indeed it went to a 3 man line:)

Oklahoma State's defensive coor > WVU group of def. coors.

WVU also shot itself in the foot several times. Makes one wonder if they even practiced.

OSU deserved the win, and they're the better team.

Good luck going forward.

What NB had to say:

"Today was not good enough," Brown started off the press conference by saying. "I'll say it a bunch, but that's the story of the game. It was an extremely disappointing performance. We were an undisciplined football team today. That's on myself and on our coaches. We talk all the time about WVU not beating WVU."

The Mountaineers had twelve penalties for over a hundred yards. They turned it over twice, including a strip sack that was returned for one touchdown, and a muffed field goal attempt that gave the ball back to the Cowboys. But the issues didn't stop there.

"We had twelve penalties. We gave them ten points on offense," said Brown. ".... We had a procedure penalty on 3rd-and-1 that gave them the ball back right before half. Just an uncalled, undisciplined... the receiver not getting lined up, the quarterback not looking. We give them a field goal there, so there's ten points we gave them on offense."

The defense played pretty stout for the majority of the game, but then gave up a couple of big plays due some miscommunication between the players and where they were supposed to fill the gaps.

"We had two misfits on the long runs," said Brown. "That's disappointing, because that's just discipline. If we just miss the tackle, that's going to happen. We were in the wrong gap. The communication wasn't great on defense."

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Hell yes. The people have spoken and the OP powers that be listened. Thank you to the people who run the board. I know that the discord thing is fine for some people, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
I feel like the “get off my lawn” person when friends Snapchat me instead of just texting. Knowing that I was confident I would dislike discord but I’ve actually found it better than the message board for game day threads.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Illingworth made some dime passes. Esp the first play of the game. Need to find Stoner more. Too conservative/predictable in 2nd half. As others have said, defense played great considering how much they were on the field - secondary looks stout.
I thought Illingworth looked fantastic when you consider all the circumstances. I counted maybe 3-4 plays where he hesitated or made a wrong decision. Otherwise, he seemed to be pretty decisive, and made accurate passes. He's not going to be a runner, but I do like his pocket awareness. I was actually super impressed with the first pass attempt (dropped by Stoner) and a few other passes where he drove the ball into tight windows. He doesn't just loft the ball up and hope for the best. He steps into it and drives the ball to the target.

Wallace is ridiculous.

Not sure what's up with Hubbard, but he's obviously our RB1b at this point. You simply can't fumble this often and expect to keep toting the rock at a high rate.

I wish our passing game could incorporate the following: RBs, TEs, slot receivers.

Our kicker looks solid, again. Very impressed with him.

Defense is pretty awesome so far. We were wrecking their line today. How many hits did we get on their QB? Like a million? Tackling was solid again. I love seeing our guys not just bringing people to the ground, but running through people. Strong defensive effort again!

Still not a fan of Gundy's conservative approach. We're up one score, and Gundy's trying to run the clock out starting in the 3rd quarter. Of course WVU made it close, and we had to come up with a drive at the end to seal it. Why not just keep the pedal down and leave no doubt?

Pretty solid game plan, though, all things considered. Definitely glad to come out with the W!

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Okay, im back in my shell until basketball.

1. Your true freshman qb is better than our qb.
2. Your oline is better than our oline.
3. Our defensive coordinator was fired during the summer for making a remark about rioting:)
No money to replace him so we have co-def coors. promoted from within. A good dcor would have blitzed early and often to test your oline and make your qb take some hits and operate under fire. WVU rarely blitzed, indeed it went to a 3 man line:)

Oklahoma State's defensive coor > WVU group of def. coors.

WVU also shot itself in the foot several times. Makes one wonder if they even practiced.

OSU deserved the win, and they're the better team.

Good luck going forward.

What NB had to say:

"Today was not good enough," Brown started off the press conference by saying. "I'll say it a bunch, but that's the story of the game. It was an extremely disappointing performance. We were an undisciplined football team today. That's on myself and on our coaches. We talk all the time about WVU not beating WVU."

The Mountaineers had twelve penalties for over a hundred yards. They turned it over twice, including a strip sack that was returned for one touchdown, and a muffed field goal attempt that gave the ball back to the Cowboys. But the issues didn't stop there.

"We had twelve penalties. We gave them ten points on offense," said Brown. ".... We had a procedure penalty on 3rd-and-1 that gave them the ball back right before half. Just an uncalled, undisciplined... the receiver not getting lined up, the quarterback not looking. We give them a field goal there, so there's ten points we gave them on offense."

The defense played pretty stout for the majority of the game, but then gave up a couple of big plays due some miscommunication between the players and where they were supposed to fill the gaps.

"We had two misfits on the long runs," said Brown. "That's disappointing, because that's just discipline. If we just miss the tackle, that's going to happen. We were in the wrong gap. The communication wasn't great on defense."
I actually enjoy you being here and hope you testier for basketball season. We are just a weird defensive team this year and got the better of your team just slightly. Our conservative play actually helped us today and we did get her defensive score I expected. You were right that we didn’t score in the 30s like I actually thought we would. It’s really going to be a crazy interesting year. Good luck to your mountaineer moving forward.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
ESPN writers’ recap was pretty brash - “Unimpressive win”. Don’t mind the true freshman QB’s first start. Must be agonizing writing outside the sec
I'll take 13 unimpressive wins this year.

The thing about this one, we didn't blow them out but after the big turnover it wasn't really in doubt. After a decade of scoring and letting the other team score so we can go score again it's hard to accept that we can win a game with defense and letting the offense grind out a couple of clutch drives. But that's who we are right now and it's working.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I'll take 13 unimpressive wins this year.

The thing about this one, we didn't blow them out but after the big turnover it wasn't really in doubt. After a decade of scoring and letting the other team score so we can go score again it's hard to accept that we can win a game with defense and letting the offense grind out a couple of clutch drives. But that's who we are right now and it's working.
I’m okay with admitting 30 hasn’t been impressive

Dec 17, 2011
ESPN writers’ recap was pretty brash - “Unimpressive win”. Don’t mind the true freshman QB’s first start. Must be agonizing writing outside the sec
It was a BS writing. Backup freshman QB thats had like 4 practices, what more do you want from this offense? I'm sure if we were playing closer the entire game or if we were down we would have played going to Wallace. Defense was very impressive for the 2nd week in a row. ESPN needs to stuff it on this one.