Post a picture of your sidearm (pistol)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I'll speak in defense of Hi-Point. Probably the best customer care in the business and they just shoot consistently.

No, the C9 is not aesthetically pleasing. But it works. At least, everyone I know who owns one constantly sings their praises. I've fired one myself. Spent all day at the range. Not one misfire or stovepipe. For the money, what more could you ask for in a firearm?

For everyone you meet who provides anecdotal evidence as to why they hate Hi-Point guns, you'll meet just as many who can tell you how much they love theirs. Plus, they're American made.
My problem with high point.

Here is another review from a site that I've always had good luck with. They had nothing but problems with the one they reviewed. They are hit and miss on reliability. If you get a good one they are a great gun, if you get a bad one you wish you had never heard of them. A lot like a Taurus. They have terrible QC.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/benjamin-t-shotzberger/gun-review-hi-point-c9-9mm-pistol/

The SCCY is also 100% American made and you don't find the hit an miss reviews on them. They are consistently a reliable gun with a trigger that is to heavy. Sure they will run you about 80 dollars more than the high point unless you catch them on sale at Atwoods then it's about 40 dollars more. It's worth every penny to know you are going to get a good gun out of the box. Customer service is great also. First one I purchased had a clip that wasn't loading right. Called them and they had a replacement at my door in a couple of days.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Pretty satisfied with my holster choices for the Kahr PM9.

IMG_1435.JPG

DeSantis belt holster is probably my favorite. Very comfortable, very compact, and does not print any more than my IWB.

IMG_1437.JPG

Concealment Solutions Micro Mamba IWB.

IMG_1440.JPG

Fobus paddle holster that came with the CZ 75D Compact. I actually like it pretty well, but want to try a leather belt holster.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
Looking for something for the Springfield XDM. Any suggestions/recommendations? Bear in mind that it does have a Crimson Trace laser grip.

View attachment 48382
View attachment 48383
Check out Alien Gear holsters. I got the Cloak Tuck 3.0 ($42 +S&H). Lifetime warranty, and free shell exchange, should you ever change pistols. I carry a full size Springfield XD (double stack), and it conceals great and is extremely comfortable. Definitely the best I've tried so far. And it does a good job of staying dry when I'm sweating.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
It's interesting how I've lived and worked in North Tulsa, Little Rock and gritty parts of Los Angeles and am much more obnoxious and mouthy than anyone on this board and have never needed to carry a gun for protection.
That's great. I'd also wager that few here have actually needed to use their gun. The issue with your statement is that you assume that since nothing has happened to you, that nothing will ever happen to you. And that since it doesn't happen to a loudmouth like you, it can't possibly ever happen to anyone else.

Statistically, sure it's a 1 in a million chance. But what difference does it make, to you? Plenty of people have used concealed firearms in self defense. Happens every day across the country. Had a family member shot, in Duncan, Oklahoma of all places. I've met people who lived in the not so good parts of LA and never had an issue. It's all chance.

You're okay with the odds, some people are not.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
That's great. I'd also wager that few here have actually needed to use their gun. The issue with your statement is that you assume that since nothing has happened to you, that nothing will ever happen to you. And that since it doesn't happen to a loudmouth like you, it can't possibly ever happen to anyone else.

Statistically, sure it's a 1 in a million chance. But what difference does it make, to you? Plenty of people have used concealed firearms in self defense. Happens every day across the country. Had a family member shot, in Duncan, Oklahoma of all places. I've met people who lived in the not so good parts of LA and never had an issue. It's all chance.

You're okay with the odds, some people are not.
I'm sorry for your loss. Senseless violence sucks. And yeah it is especially rare in what most people consider "safe" places.

I get target shooting, I get hunting - especially for meat not trophies. The million to one odds are the same reason I think playing scratch off lotto tickets are a complete waste of time and dollars.

I get the gun ownership thing. I am on board with any adequately trained non-felon adults not on mind-altering substances (legal or non legal) to carry and conceal weapons.

I do like the point out that guns are not the only things to keep you safe and I don't believe they keep people as safe as they believe.

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com
I do like the point out that guns are not the only things to keep you safe and I don't believe they keep people as safe as they believe.
You're absolutely right on both points. The 2nd one especially. I tell people that all the time (mostly new gun owners). Situational awareness, having a plan, and being able to focus under intense stress are almost more important than having a firearm. The gun is only a tool. It's not a talisman to keep the evil bad guy spirits away. If you are put in a bad situation and freeze up, it's not doing you any good. If you aren't paying attention and someone walks up behind you, it's not doing any good (seen a few stories of CC holders getting their guns yanked).

Simply saying "I got a gun, I'm safe" is incredibly stupid... but some people are like that.

The best way I can explain it, is that the gun gives you a chance to at least fight back in the worst case scenario. It's not a guaranteed life saver. But it beats the hell out of the alternative.

And besides, carrying isn't a burden, with the right setup. It's just like putting my wallet in my pocket. I don't even realize it's there most of the time.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I'm sorry for your loss. Senseless violence sucks. And yeah it is especially rare in what most people consider "safe" places.

I get target shooting, I get hunting - especially for meat not trophies. The million to one odds are the same reason I think playing scratch off lotto tickets are a complete waste of time and dollars.

I get the gun ownership thing. I am on board with any adequately trained non-felon adults not on mind-altering substances (legal or non legal) to carry and conceal weapons.

So, do you or do you not have a picture of your pistol to post?

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Check out Alien Gear holsters. I got the Cloak Tuck 3.0 ($42 +S&H). Lifetime warranty, and free shell exchange, should you ever change pistols. I carry a full size Springfield XD (double stack), and it conceals great and is extremely comfortable. Definitely the best I've tried so far. And it does a good job of staying dry when I'm sweating.
Thank you Colb. Will check it out.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
You're absolutely right on both points. The 2nd one especially. I tell people that all the time (mostly new gun owners). Situational awareness, having a plan, and being able to focus under intense stress are almost more important than having a firearm. The gun is only a tool. It's not a talisman to keep the evil bad guy spirits away. If you are put in a bad situation and freeze up, it's not doing you any good. If you aren't paying attention and someone walks up behind you, it's not doing any good (seen a few stories of CC holders getting their guns yanked).

Simply saying "I got a gun, I'm safe" is incredibly stupid... but some people are like that.

The best way I can explain it, is that the gun gives you a chance to at least fight back in the worst case scenario. It's not a guaranteed life saver. But it beats the hell out of the alternative.

And besides, carrying isn't a burden, with the right setup. It's just like putting my wallet in my pocket. I don't even realize it's there most of the time.
Best post on this thread!

You're 100% right on every point. I'd add, practicing with your sidearm is also extremely important. Setting up at the range, putting in the ear plugs, glasses, etc., isn't the same as having to draw your pistol out of the holster which is situated in the small of your back, taking it off safe and firing in a life-or-death situation. No way to practice having your life or your loved ones lives at risk, but you can train the movements of drawing from a holster and firing at a target. People don't do this enough (with their CCW). A lot just go get their license and carry without ever really practicing.

Situational awareness, as you pointed out, is such a huge thing to understand. If that's carrying groceries in your shooting hand out to the car or sitting with your back to the front door at a restaurant. Little things people don't prepare for. As for it being a burden, you're dead on again... it should get to the point to where you feel 'naked' without it on your. Sorta like being married and not having your wedding ring on, feels weird.

But your comment "gun gives you a chance to at least fight back in the worst case scenario. It's not a guaranteed life saver. But it beats the hell out of the alternative." is why I carry. Yea, maybe one in a million that I'll ever be in that position to have to draw my firearm in self defense (heck, many cops go through their career without having to do that) is true, but I don't want to ever be in that "one time" spot and not have the ability to protect myself or more important, my girls.

Living in America's 11th most violent town/city where there is a 17 in 1,000 ratio (violent crime) puts that 1-in-a-million chance a little higher. I don't want to be without my pistol if I happen to be in one of those situations.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I know 4 little old ladies who are sisters in the 80s. A few years ago at Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa they were getting out of their car to go shopping. A young punk grabbed the purse of one of them. She held on, reached in and pulled out her little derringer. He let go real quick and ran.