Possum was living in unused, $1 million taxpayer-funded bus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My favorite line, "The board told the station that knowing the technology didn't work helped develop other fuel-efficient methods." From CBS News:

Possum was living in unused, $1 million taxpayer-funded bus
BY ALEX SUNDBY
1549363011228.png

UPDATED ON: FEBRUARY 1, 2019 / 5:52 PM / CBS NEWS

A possum in Southern California has been relocated from living in the belly of a zero-emission bus that was never put into service, CBS Los Angeles reports. According to the station, more than a million dollars in state funding paid for the bus in Burbank, outside Los Angeles.

The possum bared its teeth to a CBS Los Angeles camera crew from the bus' engine compartment. "It scared me," said a former transit employee who showed the animal to the crew. "When it snarled at me, I just jumped back. That's when I took a picture of it because I said, 'Nobody's going to believe me.'"

The bus was supposed to be powered by a lithium-titanate battery pack supplemented by fuel cells, according to a 2010 U.S. Department of Energy publication. David Kriske, who works for Burbank's city government, said the bus was never put into service.

"We could not get the bus to operate in a reliable way that would allow us to rely on it to be able to provide trips for paying customers," Kriske said.

Still, the California Air Resources Board, which was the primary source of funding for the bus, told CBS Los Angeles the money was well-spent.

The board told the station that knowing the technology didn't work helped develop other fuel-efficient methods. A taxpayer advocacy group told the station it was a waste of money.

"The government doesn't care because they coerced the money out of taxpayers," said Susan Shelley of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association. "It's not their money. They're just happy to write the check, and then they're done. They can say, 'Look, we funded this,' but it's useless. It's a waste."

First published on February 1, 2019

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Did the board happen to say what those other methods were and give an example how this million dollar failure led to those successes? I thought so.

I would look at who pocketed most of the money and which candidate they donated to.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Did the board happen to say what those other methods were and give an example how this million dollar failure led to those successes? I thought so.

I would look at who pocketed most of the money and which candidate they donated to.
Hellooooo!!! You're not getting it here!

This is exactly the type of example needed to sell the Green New Deal!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

And did any actual company do any testing and studies of this engine to know this wouldn't work? Yeah companies build prototypes all the time, but why is the taxpayer on the hook?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk