Politics will ultimately destroy OSU Athletics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That’s what your “insiders” are telling you?
That's what is out there in stories on the web if you read them...Either that is going on or the University has told them to leave and is in control of this now. I think these delays are for the ESPN series to break any news. Might not be correct, but that is what I think.
https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma...ries-mike-gundy-chuba-hubbard-oan-controversy
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ut-the-mike-gundy-oan-controversy/ar-BB15G0nU
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ole-time-and-we-need-more-popcorn/ar-BB15Gg67
There are about 20 or more of these articles out there...not sure why this is surprising to anyone in the world of the web and modern entertainment. ESPN is all over this I bet...and in a BIG way...Good investment too as audiences will literally eat this up.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
That's what is out there in stories on the web if you read them...Either that is going on or the University has told them to leave and is in control of this now. I think these delays are for the ESPN series to break any news. Might not be correct, but that is what I think.
If you can find a link to a story that talks about ESPN telling people at OSU to be quiet on this issue I would love to read it. I’ve heard about the documentary but nothing about ESPN trying to turn this into a feel good story.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you can find a link to a story that talks about ESPN telling people at OSU to be quiet on this issue I would love to read it. I’ve heard about the documentary but nothing about ESPN trying to turn this into a feel good story.
My hope is that it ends in feel good...it might not...it might end in division and a new coach and staff for all I know. My hope is this ISN'T the end of coach Gundy and that this can be a uniting force in tolerance and understanding rather than a dividing one in intolerance and stubbornness. I think it can and will be the former.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me what needs to “change”.

And with that explanation, please elaborate on how any black student’s life has been measurably negatively impacted by existing university policies or actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dude, don't tell anyone, but it needs to change so we can continue to field outstanding sports teams...otherwise I doubt this would be happening. Certainly being kind to others is something we should all do regardless of our differences, but I'm not sure it's measurably negative to begin with in 2020.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
My hope is that it ends in feel good...it might not...it might end in division and a new coach and staff for all I know. My hope is this ISN'T the end of coach Gundy and that this can be a uniting force in tolerance and understanding rather than a dividing one in intolerance and stubbornness. I think it can and will be the former.
True tolerance can’t be a one way street. And if you think ESPN will be the program’s savior, that’s your prerogative. It’s my understanding that the OSU docuseries is going to be along the lines of the Les Miles one from last year which had very little exposure in the grand scheme of things. It’s not like OSU is going to get a 5 night prime time slot like The Last Dance. I don’t really see that series having that much impact positively or negatively.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
True tolerance can’t be a one way street. And if you think ESPN will be the program’s savior, that’s your prerogative. It’s my understanding that the OSU docuseries is going to be along the lines of the Les Miles one from last year which had very little exposure in the grand scheme of things. It’s not like OSU is going to get a 5 night prime time slot like The Last Dance. I don’t really see that series having that much impact positively or negatively.
It has a real opportunity. I don't know if they are still filming, but I'm hopeful that's why we are silent and it's NOT something more sinister like the ouster of the programs best ever coach...That will be a program divider that won't likely result in anything good. IF, however, they can find a way to forgive and move forward and coach can accept and confront differences in opinion and show love through them...then I think there is a real chance very positive change and coming together can happen. This is what we should ALL hope and strive for in our daily lives and not just for our University and it's sports teams.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I would say all the players names.
I’m not sure though that doing so will save his job.
In my clan there are seven of us that attended OSU. Five graduates all of them have told me that it’s probably time for the mullet to be let out to pasture.
No doubt a clan full of liberals.

Why does he need to go? Poor performance by the team on the field and/or classroom?

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
No doubt a clan full of liberals.

Why does he need to go? Poor performance by the team on the field and/or classroom?

No doubt on the "clan" assessment.

Are you for real? He should go because he wore the wrong shirt in public. He's obviously racially insensitive. The T shirt tells it all. Prolly should be pilloried as well. <eyerolmodelon>

If he needs to go (imo) it would be for the sniveling, groveling, cowardly apology. I've seldom seen a person publicly debase themselves worse.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Liberals: "accusing others for 150 years of what they themselves are most egregiously guilty"

Unfortunately, the disconnect between Gundy and his players (in hindsight) has shown up on the field in the form of Gundy appearing to be routinely out coached, but in reality he just can't seem to convey his vision and philosophy through to the team at-large and it shows up in the form of bewilderment and disorganization in critical moments. Hopefully he will pry himself down from his tour d'ivoire, reconnect with the players on a more personal level, and maybe even start referring to them by name during pressers.