Politics will ultimately destroy OSU Athletics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ultimately? Like a week ago...Sports are suppose to be politics free...but they never have been really...we just overlooked it and it wasn't given the kind of voice it is now. Not many took a guy or guys who made their fame from physical games all that serious...now they are considered God like...We knew, back in the day, that the Adults need to make the decisions and the players play...now the players are running things into the ground and killing the very engine that made them millions (in the pros this has been the case for nearly 2 decades...it's take a while for it to catch up to the colleges).

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Ultimately? Like a week ago...Sports are suppose to be politics free...but they never have been really...we just overlooked it and it wasn't given the kind of voice it is now.
Sure, there’s always been politics. Now though, the politics of perception will forever rule the day. Any perception of intolerance and/or non-inclusion (as defined by society’s most easily offended) will require.............wait.............exclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
I think we'll be okay in the long run. Athletics are just like any other business. They'll adjust after they start losing money. Look how quickly the NBA moved away from supporting human rights in China once they realized how much money they were going to lose. Things will change once salary caps start contracting. Collegiate sports will follow the lead of professional sports in this area.

This year could be absolutely brutal for Oklahoma State football fans. A portion of our fanbase think that our head coach is a racist. Another portion of our fanbase think that our athletes are spoiled brats that threatened to revolt due to the fact that their head coach is conservative. I expect to see OAN shirts at every game. Political arguments could be common place. Our stands could end up being a toxic environment.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone has a right to fight for the things they believe in. I just think that coaches & athletes should do it away from the stadiums & arenas. Sporting events should be an escape from real life.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Why do people feel like this is something new? Happens every few years and there is a bit of change, then we move on to the next social crisis. As humans striving for social perfection is a moving target that will never be. Hopefully we can come close.

Drinking makes me a philosopher!!!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I think we'll be okay in the long run. Athletics are just like any other business. They'll adjust after they start losing money. Look how quickly the NBA moved away from supporting human rights in China once they realized how much money they were going to lose. Things will change once salary caps start contracting. Collegiate sports will follow the lead of professional sports in this area.

This year could be absolutely brutal for Oklahoma State football fans. A portion of our fanbase think that our head coach is a racist. Another portion of our fanbase think that our athletes are spoiled brats that threatened to revolt due to the fact that their head coach is conservative. I expect to see OAN shirts at every game. Political arguments could be common place. Our stands could end up being a toxic environment.

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone has a right to fight for the things they believe in. I just think that coaches & athletes should do it away from the stadiums & arenas. Sporting events should be an escape from real life.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I do know if i step foot in BPS and I see an OAN shirt, I’ll see the problem. And if I see a BLM shirt, I’ll also see the problem.

My disappointment is/will be mostly with the fans.

Oct 30, 2007
Maybe. Maybe not.

I do know if i step foot in BPS and I see an OAN shirt, I’ll see the problem. And if I see a BLM shirt, I’ll also see the problem.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't remember anything that's divided our fanbase to this extent in a long time. Our fanbase has a lot of really good people in it though. Hopefully the vast majority will set aside their political views on college football gamedays.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
We’re just getting started in college football players protesting. Expect a lot of this year and yes OSU will be a leader in the SJW causes. You can vote with your wallet or accept it. I’ve made my choice.

Well

still making mistakes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't remember anything that's divided our fanbase to this extent in a long time. Our fanbase has a lot of really good people in it though. Hopefully the vast majority will set aside their political views on college football gamedays.
Beer is the answer.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
We’re just a group of 6 but we’re taking at least the year off from OSU football. The program’s reputation is more important than winning. I expect this crap from OU Texas or liberal schools in the pac 12. Not at OSU. I’m doubling our investment into wrestling and baseball. These kids work just as hard without the spotlight and represent my alma mater the right way. Gundy, Holder, and Hargis have really botched the response to these football clowns.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Sort of like a fishing trip?;)

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
We’re just a group of 6 but we’re taking at least the year off from OSU football. The program’s reputation is more important than winning. I expect this crap from OU Texas or liberal schools in the pac 12. Not at OSU. I’m doubling our investment into wrestling and baseball. These kids work just as hard without the spotlight and represent my alma mater the right way. Gundy, Holder, and Hargis have really botched the response to these football clowns.
If that's how you truly feel, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Maybe. Maybe not.

Just wear this and you will be fine;);)
1593049149857.png

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So what has happened? I haven't seen any finalization of anything at this point...why not wait and see how this pans out first? Could end up being a cathartic process and great entertainment...might be worth the price of admission.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Eddie Suttons DUI, wreck, and termination...very very divisive and we are still recovering in basketball...never have recovered 1/2 the fanbase yet on our steady decline since his tenure. WE need to learn from that! I was one of the ignoranuses that thought we could quickly replace a ledged…I was so stupid in hindsite...one could say a "dumbass."