Pokes vs WVU game thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 25, 2011
I’ve said some bad things about Dziagwa, but that was a huge bucket.
Dizzy played well today. He seems to be getting a little more comfortable driving the ball and then dishing. If he can do that without turning the ball over it will certainly help the offense.

On another note, this is the best offensive game the Pokes have had since they played LSU on November 25th. They were without Weathers today. I wonder if they have a better flow without him in the game. I think Weathers is very talented, but the offense certainly looked better today against a physical West Virginia team.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I’ve said some bad things about Dziagwa, but that was a huge bucket.
Dizzy played well today. He seems to be getting a little more comfortable driving the ball and then dishing. If he can do that without turning the ball over it will certainly help the offense.

On another note, this is the best offensive game the Pokes have had since they played LSU on November 25th. They were without Weathers today. I wonder if they have a better flow without him in the game. I think Weathers is very talented, but the offense certainly looked better today against a physical West Virginia team.
Losing Cunningham and Weathers would hurt. Likele would have to continue to play like today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
You think it’s because they don’t play D? Laughable. NBA players are evolving...move extremely quick...can shoot lights out with two people in their face (Harden, for example). It seems like there’s no D because they’re just too damn good.
But have you seen Harden's defense? That dude plays D like every game is the all star game.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
But have you seen Harden's defense? That dude plays D like every game is the all star game.
And his fouls don't count. Never saw anyone since blake griffen complain so much about getting a foul called on him for nothing more than punching a shooter in the face.

NBA is entertainment, certain players play by different rules than the rest. For instance, the "Harden four step step back shot", the "Koby Bryant never travelled", the "IF Lebron missed, it must have been a foul"...

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
And his fouls don't count. Never saw anyone since blake griffen complain so much about getting a foul called on him for nothing more than punching a shooter in the face.

NBA is entertainment, certain players play by different rules than the rest. For instance, the "Harden four step step back shot", the "Koby Bryant never travelled", the "IF Lebron missed, it must have been a foul"...
These videos are always great...

https://youtu.be/rjngmCXFNbQ

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I do hope the head of officials watches a replay of this game. Crime dog was blatantly held a couple of times and Yor's 4th foul literally never happened. As in no one within 6 feet of the guy that fell down happened.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Dizzy got caught in the first half between two defenders and had nowhere to go with the ball and just kind of tossed it on to open floor hoping that one of our guys would dive on it. Ridiculous.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Dizzy got caught in the first half between two defenders and had nowhere to go with the ball and just kind of tossed it on to open floor hoping that one of our guys would dive on it. Ridiculous.
And one of our guys dove on it. Ridiculous!

Nov 14, 2010
One of the biggest reasons we played so well on offense yesterday is because we went back to running more of our spread motion and pinch post offense.

My guess is that, once Weather's went out, Boynton felt like we were going to have to create scoring opportunities through the motion of our offense versus the set plays we've been running lately to create more 1 on 1 dribble penetration.

I think, after Orlando, we tried to cater our offense to Weather's offensive skills too much and it affected everyone else negatively.

Weather's has good offensive skills, but he needs to learn how to be more effective in our spread motion offense. If he does then everyone will get more involved and we won't have to rely on one or 2 guys for all our scoring. When we get in that rut is when it looks like everyone is just standing around and we Jack up a bad 3 with the shot clock running down.
I'm pumped for tomorrow night!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
One of the biggest reasons we played so well on offense yesterday is because we went back to running more of our spread motion and pinch post offense.

My guess is that, once Weather's went out, Boynton felt like we were going to have to create scoring opportunities through the motion of our offense versus the set plays we've been running lately to create more 1 on 1 dribble penetration.

I think, after Orlando, we tried to cater our offense to Weather's offensive skills too much and it affected everyone else negatively.

Weather's has good offensive skills, but he needs to learn how to be more effective in our spread motion offense. If he does then everyone will get more involved and we won't have to rely on one or 2 guys for all our scoring. When we get in that rut is when it looks like everyone is just standing around and we Jack up a bad 3 with the shot clock running down.
I'm pumped for tomorrow night!
Weathers also needs to learn to handle the ball better and not turn it over.

Sep 23, 2010
I didn't think our half court offense flowed that great. They were pressuring us and taking us out of what we wanted to do. We did, however, make some difficult shots at the end of shot clocks. But, we did do well in the open court after breaking their press. Likekele scored a great deal in this way.

Good win for the Pokes! I was shocked how the lead grew a little with K.Jones and DeMuth out there at the same time. Baylor game at home will be interesting tonight.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I didn't think our half court offense flowed that great. They were pressuring us and taking us out of what we wanted to do. We did, however, make some difficult shots at the end of shot clocks. But, we did do well in the open court after breaking their press. Likekele scored a great deal in this way.

Good win for the Pokes! I was shocked how the lead grew a little with K.Jones and DeMuth out there at the same time. Baylor game at home will be interesting tonight.
Yes, the press breaks were definitely better this time around. However, Lindy needs to not take the ball up the court when we're pressed. He freezes up and can't make up his mind quick enough in those situations.

Edit: On second thought, I still stand by this, HOWEVER, if it's crunch time and we're trying to close a game out, and need to seal it with free throws, then Lindy definitely should have the ball in his hands.

Last edited: