Pokes IN CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
If UGA beats bama in the sec championship, and LSU Bama and UGA all have 1 loss only, given the difficulty of their schedules, it would be dumb to have a 1 loss team get in ahead of any of them, especially if that 1 loss team is oregon who already lost to a middle of the pack sec west team.

Could see Bama, LSU, UGA, and either clemson or Ohio state if unbeaten.

Given Clemson's schedule, i dont think they should get in over LSU, if LSU's 1 loss is close on the road to Bama.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If UGA beats bama in the sec championship, and LSU Bama and UGA all have 1 loss only, given the difficulty of their schedules, it would be dumb to have a 1 loss team get in ahead of any of them, especially if that 1 loss team is oregon who already lost to a middle of the pack sec west team.

Given Clemson's schedule, i dont think they should get in over LSU, if LSU's 1 loss is close on the road to Bama.
Even if Clemson's undefeated?

Sep 6, 2014
I get enough UT stuff living in Austin. Anything specific to OSU or the Big XII?
Heartland College Sports, Cowboys Ride for Free, Oklahoma State Cowboy Insider & Pistols Firing are all Oklahoma State/Big 12 podcasts that I listen to and would recommend

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

If you are not the best team in your conference, how can you be the best team in the country?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If you are not the best team in your conference, how can you be the best team in the country?
.....said every single Oklahoma State fan in 2011.

But no, I'm not bitter! :mad::mad::mad:

Now that I think of it, the real beauty scenario here is for Harbaugh & Michigan to actually beat tOSU the week after tOSU beats Penn State. For the B1G to get shut out a 4th year in a row, then you'd see playoff expansion talk really gain some traction!

Aug 16, 2019
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ditto for Tape Doesn’t Lie. Dave Hunziker has done a podcast in the past that wasn’t bad because he gets to watch practice and has an insiders view on what’s going on. The podcasts that are done by the blog sites are worthless in my opinion because all they do is speculate on things without any real insider information to go with.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Teams win championships in sports all the time without winning their division or conference.

The committee's goal is to get the four best teams to play in the playoff. It's not out of the realm of possibility that 2 of those exist in the same conference.

That being said it would be awful if there was 3 SEC teams just from an interest perspective

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Teams win championships in sports all the time without winning their division or conference.

The committee's goal is to get the four best teams to play in the playoff. It's not out of the realm of possibility that 2 of those exist in the same conference.

That being said it would be awful if there was 3 SEC teams just from an interest perspective
Sure, in professional sports where you can play your way into the tournament. Even the NCAA basketball tournament, any team can get in by winning their conference tournament, i.e. play your way in. But that isn't the case here where a committee selects the teams (in the NCAA tournament the committee only selects at-large teams). In those cases, theoretically, ever team has a chance to win it all. So, again I ask, how can you possibly be the best team in the country if you weren't the best team in your conference?

Did you see the first "Final Four"? Two SEC and two Big 10 teams. My guess is that after all the screaming last year by the B1G and with their power and influence there isn't a chance in hell that a B1G team gets left out, and there is a pretty good chance that two SEC teams get in despite the fact that one will have beaten the other. It's bullspit. Utter, total, and complete bullspit.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Sure, in professional sports where you can play your way into the tournament. Even the NCAA basketball tournament, any team can get in by winning their conference tournament, i.e. play your way in. But that isn't the case here where a committee selects the teams (in the NCAA tournament the committee only selects at-large teams). In those cases, theoretically, ever team has a chance to win it all. So, again I ask, how can you possibly be the best team in the country if you weren't the best team in your conference?

Did you see the first "Final Four"? Two SEC and two Big 10 teams. My guess is that after all the screaming last year by the B1G and with their power and influence there isn't a chance in hell that a B1G team gets left out, and there is a pretty good chance that two SEC teams get in despite the fact that one will have beaten the other. It's bullspit. Utter, total, and complete bullspit.
I don't necessarily equate conference championship to "best" anyway. Upsets happen. If there ever comes a year that an 8-4 ACC team beat a 12-0 ACC team in the conference championship, then I'd rather see an 11-1 SEC west team with one loss to Alabama make it compared to the 9-4 ACC champ

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I don't necessarily equate conference championship to "best" anyway. Upsets happen. If there ever comes a year that an 8-4 ACC team beat a 12-0 ACC team in the conference championship, then I'd rather see an 11-1 SEC west team with one loss to Alabama make it compared to the 9-4 ACC champ
Were we the best team in the conference in 2011?

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Yes...

I've read enough of these forums to know this could go on for pages pointlessly so I'll stop after this, but

I'm not arguing for or against any playoff set up or committee or anything like that. I don't like the current set up as it's clearly shown bias to the blue bloods. I'm simply disputing "how can you be the best team in the country if you weren't the best team in your conference?"

Winning the national title doesn't make you the best team in the country necessarily, just makes you national champions. Winning your conference doesn't make you the best team in your conference. So that argument doesn't really mean anything to me. Like I said, every other sports that happens regularly, whether they played their way in or were selected by a committee.

I will say I think college football has it the toughest, there aren't a lot of good options in my opinion

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
To me this is the reason to expand to eight or more teams in the playoff. I'm not interested in watching the SEC play itself.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Yes...

I've read enough of these forums to know this could go on for pages pointlessly so I'll stop after this, but

I'm not arguing for or against any playoff set up or committee or anything like that. I don't like the current set up as it's clearly shown bias to the blue bloods. I'm simply disputing "how can you be the best team in the country if you weren't the best team in your conference?"

Winning the national title doesn't make you the best team in the country necessarily, just makes you national champions. Winning your conference doesn't make you the best team in your conference. So that argument doesn't really mean anything to me. Like I said, every other sports that happens regularly, whether they played their way in or were selected by a committee.

I will say I think college football has it the toughest, there aren't a lot of good options in my opinion
How do you know we were the best team in the conference in 2011?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I get enough UT stuff living in Austin. Anything specific to OSU or the Big XII?
Generally I will follow the podcast of opponents of K-State and the Pokes, leading up to the game that week. I wasn't impressed with the Burnt Orange podcast for the upcoming K-State game. They lack information on the opponent and created a skewed view of the Longhorns.

However I really like Horns 247 hosted by Chip Brown and Taylor Estes. They provide an honest assessment and unbiased critique.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I would love to see either Utah or Oregon crack the top 4. It would help legitimize the playoff.
Id like to see it happen but it would take a lot. I think at this point Utah is out no matter what. Oregon has a shot but it would probably take a major upset to get in there.

The problem with Oregon’s loss though, is that it could be competing with potentially 3 - 1 loss teams in the SEC with a win over the team they lost too.

So at this point I see 2 SEC teams, Big 10 champ, and Clemson. If Clemson gets upset or if the winner of the PSU/OSU game loses the big 10 championship, they would be in the argument with OU, OSU/PSU, and Clemson for the 4th spot.

Nov 8, 2013
Yes...

I like how you've positioned this - a distinction between determining a "Champion" vs. determining the "Best Team". I want to see a process that determines a CHAMPION. I feel today's process is structured to determine the best team. Thanks for phrasing it this way... I will try to use this going forward. You know, in all my highly influential conversations and blog/forum posts LOL.