Please Vote

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
James Madison to W. T. Barry

4 Aug. 1822 Writings 9:103--9
The liberal appropriations made by the Legislature of Kentucky for a general system of Education cannot be too much applauded. A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/v1ch18s35.html

Or you can be like former first lady (?) obama when speaking to a group of teens, paraphrasing, you need to vote whether you know anything or not, trust me I didn’t know anything when I was 18 and I voted.

Jul 22, 2011
I voted Friday night. Long lines. Some of the longest I've ever seen. It was easy once I got in there though. The popcorn was kinda pricey, but Tom Hardy was really good as Venom.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Gotta love politics. Just heard a former DNC politician say that Pennsylvania is going to send a message tonight by picking up as many as 8 "red" seats in the House. Of course what he didn't say is that the PA Supreme court redrew the districts this year so you can't really say much, if anything, about who wins those seats, it's a sure bet that some of them would turn blue even if Trump had a 100% approval rating.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It seems certain at this point that the Dems will take the House and the Reps will keep the Senate...exactly as most of us expected since it's pretty normal for mid-terms to go against the presidents party, especially in the house. Although I predict the media and DNC will act like it is some kind of dramatic never before seen referendum on Trump when it's just your average ordinary referendum on the party in power (and the Reps in general have deserved this due to their ineptness regardless of anything Trump has done).

I'm not all that worried about it. The Reps in the House have been mostly useless the last half decade or more so having the Dems in charge and also be useless won't change much. What we will see is a CRAP TON of investigations by the new House leadership, everything from Russia to Kavanaugh and everything in between, there may even be an impeachment vote or two.....I think that will backfire on the Dems in 2020 if they decide to go that route so more power to them.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It seems certain at this point that the Dems will take the House and the Reps will keep the Senate...exactly as most of us expected since it's pretty normal for mid-terms to go against the presidents party, especially in the house. Although I predict the media and DNC will act like it is some kind of dramatic never before seen referendum on Trump when it's just your average ordinary referendum on the party in power (and the Reps in general have deserved this due to their ineptness regardless of anything Trump has done).

I'm not all that worried about it. The Reps in the House have been mostly useless the last half decade or more so having the Dems in charge and also be useless won't change much. What we will see is a CRAP TON of investigations by the new House leadership, everything from Russia to Kavanaugh and everything in between, there may even be an impeachment vote or two.....I think that will backfire on the Dems in 2020 if they decide to go that route so more power to them.
Actually, it looks like Trump is going to fare better than any other president during mid-terms. Picking up a fair number of seats in the Senate (up to 55, I guess?)

And breaking news: the Dimms have announced they are going to demand the president turn over his tax returns. In other breaking news: Trump supporters didn't care in 2016, and they sure as sh*t don't care now.

Could be when Dems take this investigate over legislate role, it will give them just enough rope to hang themselves in 2020.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
New Jersey reelected a man to the Senate who flies overseas to have sex with under aged children. Let that sink in for awhile.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

The biggest news in Oklahoma is that the 5th congressional district in Oklahoma turned Democrat by a few thousand votes. The Republican incumbent, Steve Russell, thought it would be beneath him to return negative campaigning against him with his own, so he lost. FiveThirtyEight gave Horn, the Democrat, a seven percent chance of victory on Tuesday afternoon. It will be a rare victory for the political history books. The 5th district covers Oklahoma County plus two neighboring counties.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Well, hell.... I'm once again disappointed in the country... opting for oppression over freedom.

Hopefully Mitch McCorportist will get off his duff and pass some of those House bills while he still can.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
The house will be a $#ithole of investigations, subpoenas, impeachment attempts, and gotcha moments. All of which will mean nothing. What does matter is the SCOTUS is safe and with Ginsberg having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel Trump will have a court loaded with constitutionalists for decades.

That's what winning really looks like..

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Listening to some of the "exit polls" and the "talking heads" (which granted is never a smart thing to do), it seems the one main ACTUAL issue that the Dems ran on, pre-existing conditions, may have actually had an effect. That's funny considering the Reps have never once opposed that and in fact every single attempt they made to amend the ACA kept that in tact and they said on many occasions that they would keep that in place even if they did a full repeal of everything else. This may be one of the biggest non-issues to ever have an impact on an election but that is 100% speculation.

Another thought on seeing several red districts in CO, TX, OK and KS go Dem this time, I can't imagine those Dems will go along with the hard core left in charge of the party on every issue. I want to believe that moderates still exist in the Democrat party, maybe I'm fooling myself....this will be a good barometer to see if that is true. Also, if the PA court hadn't redrawn the states districts, it's possible that the Reps could have kept the majority.....a lot of races still not called and the Dems with a 1 vote majority last I saw..

On the Senate. I think the Dems handling of the Kavanaugh hearing backfired in a big way. There are still some races not called and Florida could still face a court challenge, but if the Reps do indeed have 52+ seats in the senate, that means they can nominate much more conservative judges without needing Murkowski or Collins to get them approved. In the lefts freak out over Roe v Wade, which I don't think was/is in any danger from Kavanaugh, the left has actually opened the door for it to be in danger with more conservative judges getting appointed.

Finally on the media. When you hear words like disappointing from ABC news you know that mainstream media is in the tank. The coverage of the midterms on the nightly network news shows was 88% negative towards the Reps compared to just 10% negative towards the Dems. That's not bias, that's outright propaganda. R.I.P. journalism.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Another thought on seeing several red districts in CO, TX, OK and KS go Dem this time, I can't imagine those Dems will go along with the hard core left in charge of the party on every issue. I want to believe that moderates still exist in the Democrat party, maybe I'm fooling myself....this will be a good barometer to see if that is true.
The Moderate Dems are the silent majority of the Democratic Party still, especially in conservative states. We are the reason you saw several red districts turn blue in Red states. Extremism is highlighted by the MSM on both sides of the Rep and Dem parties and neither party is as extreme as any media outlet is saying they are.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
After all is said and done. This election is #winning for the American People.

Dems will muck up Congress, It will be a guaranteed crap fest for the next 2 years to get anything serious passed and therefore the American people will not be subjected additional Federal Regulations...that is a plus in my book.

The budget process will be crap because both sides will want to spend and spend and spend, but will never agree on where to spend.... and that should reduce deficit spending and that is a plus in my book.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
After all is said and done. This election is #winning for the American People.

Dems will muck up Congress, It will be a guaranteed crap fest for the next 2 years to get anything serious passed and therefore the American people will not be subjected additional Federal Regulations...that is a plus in my book.

The budget process will be crap because both sides will want to spend and spend and spend, but will never agree on where to spend.... and that should reduce deficit spending and that is a plus in my book.
Yep, gridlock is Good on the Federal level. Always has been...it's by design.

Oct 30, 2007
Things went about as expected. There wasn't really a blue wave or a red wall. The story of the night was the Democrats taking control of the house. If current projections hold, the Republicans will come away with some key wins as well. They're projected to gain 4 seats in the senate and they're also projected to win gubernatorial elections in the swing states of Florida, Ohio, & Iowa.

I think the midterms were a success for Trump as well. Presidents almost always lose ground in congress during their first midterm elections. Obama lost 63 seats in the house and 6 seats in the senate during his first midterm election. Trump lost control of the house, but he'll pick up 4 senate seats if current projections hold. That's the most senate seats gained during a midterm election since 1934.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
The house will be a $#ithole of investigations, subpoenas, impeachment attempts, and gotcha moments. All of which will mean nothing. What does matter is the SCOTUS is safe and with Ginsberg having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel Trump will have a court loaded with constitutionalists for decades.

That's what winning really looks like..
That is not 100% guaranteed. Conservatives were deeply disappointed with Kennedy, who Reagan nominated. He is why same sex marriage is now legal.

Last edited: