Pistol Pete Articles in the Daily Oklahoman

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
I have been a critic of the DOK at times in the past, but I must say the articles about Pistol Pete are good and I have really enjoyed reading through them.

Also - I have researched off and on about the loan and subsequent theft of Frank Eaton's possessions after they were put on display in third floor of the Student Union. I interviewed several people and have collected newspaper articles and other related information with the idea of possibly writing a book some day. If any of you have been told stories about those events, have articles from the time or know someone who was involved, even indirectly and is still alive, please let me know as I would want to get copies of the information or interview the people.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I have been a critic of the DOK at times in the past, but I must say the articles about Pistol Pete are good and I have really enjoyed reading through them.

Also - I have researched off and on about the loan and subsequent theft of Frank Eaton's possessions after they were put on display in third floor of the Student Union. I interviewed several people and have collected newspaper articles and other related information with the idea of possibly writing a book some day. If any of you have been told stories about those events, have articles from the time or know someone who was involved, even indirectly and is still alive, please let me know as I would want to get copies of the information or interview the people.

Thanks!!
I would love to read the articles. I have tried to subscribe to them 3 or 4 times over the past 10 to 12 years only to have my paper delivery sporadic at best and I always ended up cancelling within about a month because of non delivery and they never offered to refund me any money. When I try to read the articles online it tries to make me subscribe and I refuse to give them any more money than they already got from me for nothing.

Mar 8, 2010
Why hasn't a movie ever been done on Frank Eaton's life? It has all the makings of a great western. Willie Nelson is probably too old now, but he would have been great playing the lead role.

Jul 9, 2011
An autobiography was published in 1952 "Pistol Pete: Veteran of the Old West". Mr Eaton basically dictated stories to Eva Gillhouse who put the book together and performed some research. At the same time there was also a book by Glenn Shirley, a best selling crime and Old West author who lived in Stillwater titled "Toughest of Them All" which had a section on Frank Eaton. Eaton was then featured in a number of newspaper articles and finally in an issue of Life Magazine (a popular nationwide magazine at the time) and Mr Eaton enjoyed somewhat of a celebrity status. At that time there was talk about a movie of his life, but it never came to pass. Mr. Shirley's recap of Eaton's life is (I think) the quintessential story that I have seen repeated most often.

Several movies were made that were loosely based on Eaton's life, but with enough details changed to not be sued, all the way up to Raquel Welch in "Hannie Caulder" in 1972. I believe part of the reason a specific Frank Eaton movie was not made is that there are significant portions of his story that cannot be substantiated by other sources.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I believe part of the reason a specific Frank Eaton movie was not made is that there are significant portions of his story that cannot be substantiated by other sources.
As someone who would pay money for such a movie, I have to ask...Wouldn't you just say "based on a true story" and embellish as much as needed to make it interesting?

Nov 28, 2008
I was lucky enough to get to know, to a certain degree, Dave Davis. He's listed in the story as the Pistol Pete in 61-62. He was a gem of a guy and a tried and true OSU fan. He had some really good stories of his time at OSU and while service as Pete. He's someone I truly miss

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
From the inside cover of my copy of the 1952 Veteran of the Old West. Amazing that he wrote all of this at age 94!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I tried to buy an autographed Frank Eaton book on ebay a while back. They wanted $800 for it.

If it was you, #@#$&! you.

Jul 9, 2011
As someone who would pay money for such a movie, I have to ask...Wouldn't you just say "based on a true story" and embellish as much as needed to make it interesting?
Remember this was the 1950's - different time and place. Studios weren't going to pay out money for story rights unless they had to, and Frank Eaton, while being an Oklahoma area celebrity really didn't have much national notoriety. You won't find him in most "history of the Old West books", etc. either - say like versus Billy the Kid. Apparently he just wasn't "large" and compelling enough to do.

If somebody wanted a movie project, I think the story around his later life, living in a small house in Perkins, being "discovered" as an Old West hero, becoming the mascot at OSU and the other things that happened around him at that time, along with his claims to his youth and which ones were absolutely true or not would make a good movie. There were some other associated characters at that time and some really odd/quirky things that happened. Not to mention Eaton shooting a hole in the ceiling of the Student Union Ball Room, etc.

Eaton was a good story teller - a book was published later with a number of the stories he told titled "Campfire Stories, A Remembrance of a Cowboy Legend".

Can you tell I'm interested in this?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Story time:

I had a friend who is a little bit of an odd character that went to UCO. He went in to the athletic department office one day and said "How do I get to try out to be Buddy Bronco?"

He said the girl behind the desk got an excited look on her face and said "You're it!" and ran into the store room to get the Bronco head.

Not quite the same as the Pistol Pete thing. I always tell him that usually the person who is Buddy Bronco has to do it because he's on academic probation.