Pick Your Candidate

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Me thinks there are sme "bugs" in that one...no way Dennis Kucinich and I have no disagreements.

My top "matches"

Romney - 37
Hunter - 35
Gravel - 33
Tie b/t Tancredo and Kucinich - 27

Chris H.

administrator emeritus
Jul 1, 2004
Tulsa, Okla.
chris.hasenpflug.net
Did a lot of "don't cares" as I really haven't formed strong opinions on several of those topics, but for the ones I did choose, I had pretty strong feelings about. Romney was my #1 too.

kaje, did Paul end up your #1? I hadn't seen 2decide.com, but man he sure does oppose...everything!

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
I had a tie between Paul and Kucinich. I had a quite a few don't cares or meh's as well.

Paul 29
Death Penalty, Embryonic Stem Cells, Guns - Background Checks, Iran Sanctions, Universal Healthcare

Kucinich 29
Abortion Rights, Death Penalty, Assault Weapons Ban, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iran Sanctions

Gravel 23
Biden 16
Obama 14
Clinton 13
Dodd 11
Edwards 11
Richardson 6
Thompson 2

Nov 1, 2004
The issues are mostly social ... and the rest are foreign policy, war specific, Middle East specific.

Given I'm a social liberal (used to say moderate, but we've moved right and I've stayed same) ... I'm closer aligned with the Dems in this survey.

On economic issues, I'm sure I'd favor Republicans. Which gets me to what I am ... and Independent ... pro-business, pro-strong military, use it wisely ... pro-individual rights/responsibilities.

jaxdahl

administrator emeritus
A/V Subscriber
Feb 4, 2005
Tel Aviv, Israel
I got 53 points for Paul, Tancredo in second with 31 points. Kucinich, Edwards & Clinton at the bottom with -33 points. Pretty much what I expected.

Chris, the reason Ron Paul opposes a lot of things is because he is a libertarian who would rather see things done on a local (town/county/state) level rather than the federal level. It does not necessarily mean he opposes the issue outright. An example is abortion - he is pro-life but does not want the federals involved in it (congress, courts) and would rather see it handled at the state level. (Although I think 2decide put Paul down as opposing abortion rights, the point still stands.)

Feb 8, 2007
OKC
Romney 53
Hunter 48
Huckabee 46
McCain 43
Giuliani 33
Tancredo 32
Cox 31
Brownback 22
Thompson 13
Biden -2
Dodd -2
Richardson -4
Clinton -4
Edwards -6
Obama -17
Paul -25
Kucinich -40
Gravel -44

Aaron C.

AKA Shortbus
Jul 20, 2005
Edmond, OK
www.ultimatenurse.com
For me, Paul was third to last, in first was a tie with clinton and kucinich, HOWEVER the poll is VERY flawed.

I'm anti gay marraige, but pro civil union.

I'm anti immigration, but pro path to citizenship.

I had to choose on abortion and chose FOR even though I am personally against because I don't believe I can decide on something related to a woman when I'm a man.

I'm for background checks, and Paul isn't so I lose another one there, however he's the best candidate EVER for Gun owners so I'm 100% with him even though it shows me as against.

I support sanctions on Iran and military action and that's in disagreement with him, but I don't support military action RIGHT NOW as that's just nuts and more just a preemtive strike and not troops so again, going against when I'm really with him.

Death penalty I simply disagree with Paul on.

We also disagree on healthcare as he's totally free market, and he also voted against net neutrality and that's an issue I'm struggling with.

We also disagree on Guantanamo but I am all for it as long as you don't have citizens there. I couldn't care less what we do to people who aren't citizens of this country. Torture away I say. If you're a citizen, totally different and he and I obviously share the same opinion on that subject.

===

I got matched up with Thompson and Guliani.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm voting for Guliani.

Thompson will be my choice if I can't vote for Ron Paul.

I am willing to compromise some of my ideals because I believe the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I can't believe it matched me up with Guliani...I guess I can since I'm conservative.

Oddly enough there were some pretty serious topics that were left off the poll like TAXES, religious topics, trade, national id cards, and a couple of other things.

Aaron C.

AKA Shortbus
Jul 20, 2005
Edmond, OK
www.ultimatenurse.com
I got 53 points for Paul, Tancredo in second with 31 points. Kucinich, Edwards & Clinton at the bottom with -33 points. Pretty much what I expected.

Chris, the reason Ron Paul opposes a lot of things is because he is a libertarian who would rather see things done on a local (town/county/state) level rather than the federal level. It does not necessarily mean he opposes the issue outright. An example is abortion - he is pro-life but does not want the federals involved in it (congress, courts) and would rather see it handled at the state level. (Although I think 2decide put Paul down as opposing abortion rights, the point still stands.)
That's an excellent point Jax.

Another big one is gun control. He opposed the law that would eliminate lawsuits against gunmakers.

The NRA was all over him about it and considered pulling their support because of it which was INSANE because he's the biggest supporter of the 2nd amendment there is.

The only reason he opposed the bill was because he believed it should be UP TO THE STATES and not the federal government.

He actually agreed with the bill but voted against it because he thought while it was the right thing, it wasn't up to the federal government.

OUT OF SHEER PRINCIPLE that's the kind of guy I believe we need in office.

In this day and age when 99% of politicians operate under the level of professionalism and integrity because they believe the end justifies the means, we finally have a guy who will not throw away his integrity just to get what he believes is right.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Your post is what drove me to ask the question. I was unaware of his position on the 2nd amendment. He gets real high marks for that and I'll give him a serious look.

Aaron C.

AKA Shortbus
Jul 20, 2005
Edmond, OK
www.ultimatenurse.com
You can read his views on most things at www.ronpaul2008.com

There are several articles and blogs etc. about the issue with him and the NRA.

I'm an NRA supporter, but it makes me sick that they are so hypocritical.

They want everyone to support the constitution when it benefits them (2nd amendment) but they expect their staunches supporter to approve of a law that he believes is unconstitutional just because it benefits them.

I have a hard time being sympathetic with them when they cry about the 2nd Amendment if they don't want to honor the rest of the constitution. The real crazy part was that he was in total agreement with them regarding the law. He just believed it needed to be done at the state level and they didn't care. They pulled his support anyway. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
There are some alternatives that really need to be added such as everyone that is technical knows a wall won't work due to tunnelling, ladders, and gliders.

The real issue is sealing the borders. Orders to shoot. It worked in Andersonville to keep prisoners in, it will work to seal our borders.

There needs to be an alternative to No-Child Left behind because it just slows down the better students.

Define assault weapons. Is it going to be any semi-auto which includes grandpa's sweet 16 collectors item, or will it be by appearance, or armor piercing (which includes everyone's 30-06 deer rifle).

Define wiretapping. With or without a search warrent. For non US-residents or not? For transmissions going outside of the USA?

This poll can not be valid without drilling down into deeper issues or solutions.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
I think you guys are mis-reading the output.

All those republicans are at NEGATIVE points.

This thing is clearly biased WAY to the left.
Umm...I don't think you understand the test. It grades each candidate's points based on what YOU enter by determining what issues you oppose or support and how much you oppose or support them. The Republican candidates are only negative numbers when you oppose the things they support. Several people in this thread have gotten Republicans as their top results.

May 20, 2006
Tulsa
I am assuming the candidates at the top of the page are the ones you agree with, seeing as how they are all dems I would assume this to be true. All the republicans were at the bottom just where I thought they would be, assuming I am right about where the candidates are supposed to be. Obama was one of the highest. I disagreed with him about same-sex marriage, the patriot act, Iraq withdrawal(while I don't like the war, pulling out now would be a mistake in my opinion), and universal health care (I am assuming they mean something like what Canada has, the problem is that is takes forever to get what you need there, I think it is a good idea I just don't know if it will work. Kind of like communisim, it is a good theory but dosent work in a large scale.). McCain ranked with a -8, which surprised me because I thought I agreed with him more than any other republican, of course I don't now because of some of his stances that I now know of. All in all I am a democrat but I don't blindly agree with all of em just because they are dems. Kucinich was the highest but his support of No Child Left Behind takes him down considerably, of course I don't really know to much about him so I cant comment too much. The No Child left behind act is the biggest crock in its current form.

Aug 7, 2006
I could be wrong, but if you click on the second link, it shows the average scores.

Dennis Kucinich is WAY ahead and all the republicans are at the bottom.

Is anyone getting Republicans at the top of your list?

Nothing personal here, just questioning the biases of this quiz.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
I could be wrong, but if you click on the second link, it shows the average scores.

Dennis Kucinich is WAY ahead and all the republicans are at the bottom.

Is anyone getting Republicans at the top of your list?

Nothing personal here, just questioning the biases of this quiz.
The site was posted on digg, which has a much larger democratic userbase so that's why those candidates have higher percentages out of everyone who has taken the test.