Phil Steele releases college preseason top 25

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Spoiler alert! OSU not on it, Boise State #14. TCU #20, wait for it . . . . ut #10 and ou #9 and surprise alabama #1!

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ball-preseason-Top-25-119668699/#119668699_25

ut and the Longhorn Network/ESPN jubilant!!!!! BS, i haven't kept track have they got a QB yet? I have a feeling OSU will surprise a few people this year. QB has to step forward, Defense gel with the new scheme, no injuries and we are in there somewhere.

thoughts.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
The OSU offense will be good. I think Cornelius has a good set of skills regardless of whether the other QBs pan out. Justice Hill will be an absolute monster on the ground even with an average offensive line. The WR will be good as well with mccleskey, stoner, Johnson and some new guys. Greenwood seems like a guy who could be a good surprise for us.

Defense is always tricky but I expect the corners and line to be good. Our safeties will be relative young along with linebacker. I have hope that they will be average which should leave us in the 7-9 game win category.

I expect us to lose to OU, Texas, and Boise State. I could see us winning the rest and possibly dropping another to TCU, WVU or KSU.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
For the 5th year in a row, UT IS BAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK BABY!!!
Apparently they were back last year and we just didn't know it. Steele isn't going out on a limb because even if they keep losing he can just leave them in his power ranking to prove himself correct like he did last year.

"Texas was much better than its 7-6 record last year and the Longhorns were in my ESPN Vegas Top 25 power ratings all year long."

Last edited:

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Spoiler alert! OSU not on it, Boise State #14. TCU #20, wait for it . . . . ut #10 and ou #9 and surprise alabama #1!

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ball-preseason-Top-25-119668699/#119668699_25

ut and the Longhorn Network/ESPN jubilant!!!!! BS, i haven't kept track have they got a QB yet? I have a feeling OSU will surprise a few people this year. QB has to step forward, Defense gel with the new scheme, no injuries and we are in there somewhere.

thoughts.
We're gonna throat punch Boise State. Texas that high is laughable.

Mar 8, 2010
The OSU offense will be good. I think Cornelius has a good set of skills regardless of whether the other QBs pan out. Justice Hill will be an absolute monster on the ground even with an average offensive line. The WR will be good as well with mccleskey, stoner, Johnson and some new guys. Greenwood seems like a guy who could be a good surprise for us.

Defense is always tricky but I expect the corners and line to be good. Our safeties will be relative young along with linebacker. I have hope that they will be average which should leave us in the 7-9 game win category.

I expect us to lose to OU, Texas, and Boise State. I could see us winning the rest and possibly dropping another to TCU, WVU or KSU.
Good realistic analysis. Unfortunately, I've once again gotten used to the fact that I always expect to lose to uo in football, just like we always used to in the old days when OSU wasn't a top 25 program. Sure wish Gundy could change that part of his legacy.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I love Phil Steel because he's such a moron when it comes to Oklahoma State. He has freaking Arkie State ranked 25th and us no where in site.

IMHO, if this program drops below 9 wins in any year Gundy is still around, it's a disappointment. That being said, I don't expect them to do that this year either. With the bowl I expect we win 9 or 10. As far as the Longhorns, we will once again beat them...Gundy kind of owns them of late.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I love Phil Steel because he's such a moron when it comes to Oklahoma State. He has freaking Arkie State ranked 25th and us no where in site.

IMHO, if this program drops below 9 wins in any year Gundy is still around, it's a disappointment. That being said, I don't expect them to do that this year either. With the bowl I expect we win 9 or 10. As far as the Longhorns, we will once again beat them...Gundy kind of owns them of late.
I bet we win against Texas in a dogfight. Phil Steele is a moron which it comes to Oklahoma State.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've been perusing most of the pre-season mags I've come across and most seem to have OSU out of the top 25. I've seen us picked in conference anywhere between 3rd and 7th. They all say pretty much the same thing; rebuilding year on offense, learning a new scheme on defense, but still a bowl season. Meh, I'm willing to wait and see.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Why is Arky State in? They were pretty good last year and their QB returns. We lose our QB and the best receiver in the nation. If we were uo or Bama, then we could have Larry the wonder Lama as a Frosh QB and still be top 10.

We still have work to do for national relevance every year.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Why is Arky State in? They were pretty good last year and their QB returns. We lose our QB and the best receiver in the nation. If we were uo or Bama, then we could have Larry the wonder Lama as a Frosh QB and still be top 10.

We still have work to do for national relevance every year.
We would beat Arky State this coming year by at least two scores...I'm confident of that. I think we will do that to Boise as well.

Apr 13, 2007
Troy beat Arkansas State last year in Jonesboro yet he still ranks them as best in the Sunbelt that year.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
We would beat Arky State this coming year by at least two scores...I'm confident of that. I think we will do that to Boise as well.

I agree esp on Arky State. I'm not saying I agree with Steele, just trying to explain how he came to such a poor conclusion.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Hasn't he consistently under-ranked us year after year? I'm trying to remember a year when he didn't and can't. So nothing new this year.
what's funny is in his article he says that he has been consistently good at his predictions. I can't remember a year where he has been anywhere near what he predicts. This guy is an idiot to say the least and doesn't even have the nerve to post his email like most writers do because he knows that he is an idiot. My take on this year is that we will go as far as our QB takes us. I am cautiously optimistic about this year. I will say the same for OU. Murray hasn't ever impressed me and he gets rattled. Both teams are in the same boat. Having said that, I think we finish in the top 3 of the conference. I do not see Texas being that good yet and I also think TCU will be worse than people think as well.