PFB - Mike Gundy Sends Curious Tweet in Wake of Mike Holder’s Podcast Comments

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OP News

Greenhorn
Feb 17, 2018
Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder joined the Pistols Firing podcast this week with Kyle and Carson, and his comments about recruiting — specifically how Gundy approaches it and his desire to see it improve — have programmed every sports talk radio show in the state borders since.

Gundy seems to have taken notice of the comments as he sent out an ominous tweet on Thursday that appears to be a subtweet at Holder and those comments.

— Mike Gundy (@CoachGundy) June 14, 2018

For context, here’s Holder’s full comments on the topic from the podcast.

“You’ve got to give credit to Mike Gundy. He’s really matured into a difference maker as a coach. I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does. I’d want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you’re able to achieve. We do a great job of overcoming that with Rob Glass down in the weight room, and I think our coaches do a great job of disciplining and motivating and channeling what talent we have in the right direction. I just think we would be better served with a few more James Washington’s coming in the front door – you know, he came in as a two-star, three-star, left a five-star – we need to take some of those five-stars and turn them into seven-stars, which I think Rob Glass could do, and I think Mike Gundy could as well.

“I’m patting them on the back at the same time I’m challenging them to get out there and do a little bit more recruiting … Recruiting is the most important thing we do, and you’re only as good as your athletes.”

Now, Gundy’s tweet could just as easily have been off topic rather than a response to Holder’s comments. Maybe he’s contemplating where to launch his next snake-hunting adventure, and rolled his eyes at how hot it’s supposed to be in Oklahoma this weekend. But the timing (and content) of his tweet suggests that it’s almost assuredly meant to serve as an unofficial response to Holder’s comments.

Gundy has not responded publicly to the Holder podcast appearance, and given his off-the-grid nature in the summer months, it seems unlikely we get any more than a single tweet response to this saga. Either way, the 30 for 30 on how Mike Holder’s Pistols Firing podcast debut led to a Mike Gundy subtweet will be an incredibly compelling watch in 2035.

The post Mike Gundy Sends Curious Tweet in Wake of Mike Holder’s Podcast Comments appeared first on Pistols Firing.

Continue reading...