PFB - Five Thoughts on the 2018 Preseason Big 12 Football Poll

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 17, 2018
Oklahoma State is picked to finish fifth in the Big 12 by the media in the preseason football poll released on Thursday.

Cross-state Bedlam rival Oklahoma is picked to finish first, having received 46 first-place votes. West Virginia, TCU and Texas round out the top four, with the Horns edging OSU slightly with 370 total points in the poll.

Here’s a look at how it all shook out.

on @OU_Football. pic.twitter.com/8dch3GrjZA

— Big 12 Conference (@Big12Conference) July 12, 2018

I have some thoughts. Let’s get to those.

1. Oklahoma State is picked … about where I expected

I could really grease up my orange-tinted sunglasses and toss out a #take most people would love to hear about OSU being severely overlooked, but I think given the circumstances, this is about right.

Most programs would take a massive dip after losing a record-setting QB-WR duo in addition to a defensive coordinator, so even if Spencer Sanders is the next Aaron Rodgers-Brett Favre-Jimmy G., I think fifth is a reasonable preseason projection. There are still a lot of question marks with this team, namely that one — who will replace Rudolph at QB.

2. Last time OSU was picked to finish fifth … not great

The last time OSU was picked to finish fifth (in 2014), things didn’t go so well. OSU finished seventh that season, and was a Tyreek Hill hail mary away from not ending its season in a bowl game.

But hey, we always have this.

3. OU, man and Kansas, man

Despite losing a Heisman winner at quarterback, OU is the heavy favorite to win it all … for a fourth consecutive season. They collected all but six first-place votes cast by the media this preseason.

On the other hand …. cellar-dwelling Kansas, picked to finish last, was picked to finish last by the media in a consensus. The Jayhawks received all 52 10th place votes!

4. What does Vegas think?

Here’s the preseason poll:

1. OU
  2. WVU
  3. TCU
  4. Texas
  5. OSU
  6. K State
  7. ISU
  8. Texas Tech
  9. Baylor
  10. KU

And here is where Vegas has things.

1. OU
  2. Texas
  3. TCU
  4. OSU
  5. WVU
  6. ISU
  7. K State
  8. Texas Tech
  9. Baylor
  10. KU

Everything lines up pretty well … except that West Virginia placement. The Mountaineers are second as voted by the media, but Vegas has them fifth, behind OU, Texas, TCU and OSU. Maybe those Will Grier Heisman campaign tweets haven’t quite made their way to Nevada just yet.

5. Team that might surprise?

GIVE ME THE CLONES!

Iowa State was one of the biggest surprises last season, having won eight games and capping off a terrific turnaround campaign with a bowl win. And I think they are primed to have similar success in 2018.

With reigning conference coach of the year Matt Campbell and the offensive duo of Kyle Kempt and David Montgomery, Iowa State could easily be the sleeper that sneaks up on teams and quietly contends for the conference deep into league play.

Here is the PFB preseason poll.

The post Five Thoughts on the 2018 Preseason Big 12 Football Poll appeared first on Pistols Firing.

Continue reading...