PF & Backup PG options

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Obviously, the Thunder need the resign Westbrook & Roberson, but assuming those happen, these issues remain.

Power Forward
Interesting options on the roster, with today's NBA, I think we have some legit (albeit raw) options already here.
On the roster:
- Jerami Grant
- Long, athletic as hell.
- Shot really came around last year, shooting better than 37% from three-point range.
- Small frame, but shows shot-blocking ability & overall defensive chops against stretch 4s.

- Josh Huestis
- A really unknown quantity & only 6-7, but...
- Long, athletic as hell.
- A bigger body than Grant (230 lbs vs 210)
- A lot of people forget he played inside in college, & is Stanford's all-time leading shot-blocker.
- Better shooter than most think (6-10 from three in the NBA, & up to 38.5% on 5.7 attempts/game in the D-League last year). I know a lot of people will poo-poo D-League stats, but his shot has shown improvement in shooting year over year down there. 3-point shooting may translate better than most other stats from down there.
- Has flashed some off-the-dribble ability.

- Nick Collison
- Not a real option anymore due to age. More of a Center at this point.

- Doug McDermott
- Can only play him at PF in certain situation as he can't guard any kind of PF, stretch or otherwise. Or SFs. Or anyone. But in today's NBA, Ryan Anderson can play PF for good teams...

Not on the roster:
- Rudy Gay
- Old, with a really tough to recover from achilles injury.
- Scoring punch, but is he really better offensively than Kanter? Can't rebound as well or score around the rim as well. Mobility limited by injury, so could he even play better D? Hell, he may not even be a better shooter than Kanter.
- Reputation as a poor locker room guy.

- Others? No idea.

Backup Point Guard
On the roster:
- Semaj Christon
- Can't shoot
- Solid defender
- Seemingly poor creater, but perhaps alleviated somewhat with better shooters around (a McDermott with an offseason to to gel with the team, a year older Abrines whose shot improved with experience & playing time, &, oh yeah, PAUL GEORGE)

- No one else on the roster can actually be the backup PG.

Not on the roster:
- ???? but the market looks good to get a cheap, decent option.

Other people's thought?

Going to be a very interesting next week & a half to see if any other moves are made.

Nov 27, 2007
Well, Marcus Smart seems to now be on the market. I'd LOVE to have him as the Thunder's backup PG. But can the Thunder afford him & do others think he is a fit for the Thunder?

Nov 27, 2007
So, Patrick Patterson at Power Forward. I like it a LOT. Especially for $5.5 million/year, when his last contract was $6 million/year. His resume:

- Just turned 28 years old.
- 7 year veteran
- Career per/36 averages: 11.8 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 1.8 APG, 0.9 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 74.4% FT, 36.8% 3P%.
- Experienced in playoffs with 41 career games, 30 of which in the last 2 years, including 1 year in the Eastern Conference Finals.

GREAT pickup!!!

Dec 19, 2012
I love the deals, and I agree with getting Smart. The only other thing I see out there is the potential that Aldridge is unhappy at Spurs. If we could trade Adams (or Kanter although unlikely) to get Aldridge, we have legit shot at title against GS. I know it's a long shot, but maybe the reports are right and we have just enough assets to get it done. Westbrook, George, and Aldridge would be crazy awesome together.

Nov 27, 2007
I love the deals, and I agree with getting Smart. The only other thing I see out there is the potential that Aldridge is unhappy at Spurs. If we could trade Adams (or Kanter although unlikely) to get Aldridge, we have legit shot at title against GS. I know it's a long shot, but maybe the reports are right and we have just enough assets to get it done. Westbrook, George, and Aldridge would be crazy awesome together.
I'd take Aldridge over Kanter, sure. But not over Adams. Adams has defensive versatility, is much younger, and fits the Thunder's needs more at this time. I think with the new roster, you'll see Adams make the leap this year people were expecting last year. I think we see the Adams we saw in the 2016 playoffs.

Dec 19, 2012
I'd take Aldridge over Kanter, sure. But not over Adams. Adams has defensive versatility, is much younger, and fits the Thunder's needs more at this time. I think with the new roster, you'll see Adams make the leap this year people were expecting last year. I think we see the Adams we saw in the 2016 playoffs.
I agree Adams trajectory, years signed, and overall price with age are better. However, I think we are in desperation mode (rightfully so). We have to convince Westbrook and George to stay, and you do that by adding a Superstar now to challenge for a title now.
Kawhi has a couple years he could wait and be prime. Westbrook's best prime is now with his athleticism and MVP award. It's a win/win for both teams.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
This is not directly related to the thread topic, but I'll post it here instead of starting a new thread. Here are some of the 2016-17 advanced metrics for players that were on the Thunder roster last year or new additions for the 2017-18 season.
upload_2017-7-5_12-3-47.png
upload_2017-7-5_12-3-56.png
upload_2017-7-5_12-4-2.png

In addition to adding a good (Patterson) and a great (George) player, OKC has also trimmed some of its worst under performers, namely Payne, Sabonis, Ilyasova, and Morrow. I'd also point out that while Taj Gibson is a serviceable defender, his offensive numbers were well under par.

Among the three remaining unsigned free agents, Roberson had a high VORP (even better than Patterson, Oladipo, or Kanter). Signing him is critical, and I believe that signing the combination of Patterson and Roberson is preferable to only signing Rudy Gay.

As far as filling out the roster, I don't expect Presti to trade for Marcus Smart (Celtics can't take on Kanter's contract and OKC doesn't have any other tradable assets), but I could see OKC signing a veteran PG like Ramon Sessions, Aaron Brooks, or perhaps even Ty Lawson.

I also don't think Patterson is automatically going to be inserted into the starting lineup. He's only started a total of 25 games over the past three seasons, and he's only started 73 games in his entire 7-year career. I'm a broken record on this, but I'd like to see Kanter become the starting PF and bring up Dakari Johnson as the backup center. A bench lineup of Christon (or a veteran backup PG), Abrines, Grant, Patterson, and Johnson would be okay (at least better than last season), with McDermott splitting time between Abrines, Grant, and Patterson.

Nov 27, 2007
I agree Adams trajectory, years signed, and overall price with age are better. However, I think we are in desperation mode (rightfully so). We have to convince Westbrook and George to stay, and you do that by adding a Superstar now to challenge for a title now.
Kawhi has a couple years he could wait and be prime. Westbrook's best prime is now with his athleticism and MVP award. It's a win/win for both teams.
I get your point, but I disagree on the key issue of which provides a better chance of winning now. Adams helps the Thunder more this year than Aldridge does, in my opinion.

Also, I no longer view Aldridge as a superstar. He'll be 32 in two weeks & didn't even make the All-Star team last year despite being healthy & no longer losing post-touches & rebound opportunities to Tim Duncan.

I think the key to resigning PG13 is to have Westbrook resign (which i think he will before the season starts) and for the Thunder to make the Western Conference Finals (& be competitive in the series).

But I could be wrong :)

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Oh hell no. Aldridge is a cancer in the locker room. He can't hack it with Pop, screw that. There's literally nothing he does that Kanter cannot while being cheaper and younger.

Nov 27, 2007
And now we have Raymond Felton as the backup point guard. I'm good with it. He's solid. 31.6 career minutes per game in 856 career games (657 starts). 36 career playoff games (21 starts). Those kind of numbers don't happen if not a real solid player. Even at 33, he's played 160 games the last 2 years so his body is holding up well.

Last edited:

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
And now we have Arymond Felton as the backup point guard. I'm good with it. He's solid. 31.6 career minutes per game in 856 career games (657 starts). 36 career playoff games (21 starts). Those kind of numbers don't happen if not a real solid player. Even at 33, he's played 160 games the last 2 years so his body is holding up well.

He's 33, but behind Russ he won't have to worry about playing more than 12-15 min a game.

He does bring another tested veteran to help out. There's also potential to correct if it isn't working ala Norris Cole

Nov 27, 2007
He's 33, but behind Russ he won't have to worry about playing more than 12-15 min a game.

He does bring another tested veteran to help out. There's also potential to correct if it isn't working ala Norris Cole
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll probably average closer to the 20 min/game that he did last year. I think you'll see him on the floor with Russ for a few minutes most nights, like we did a lot with Derek Fisher or like Felton did with Chris Paul. It's the sort of thing that can take a little pressure off of the starting PG for a few minutes/game.

Dec 19, 2012
Oh hell no. Aldridge is a cancer in the locker room. He can't hack it with Pop, screw that. There's literally nothing he does that Kanter cannot while being cheaper and younger.
Yeah, besides that defense thing that keeps him off the court consistently.

Nov 27, 2007
I wouldn't say it consistently keeps him off the floor. He's averaged over 20 minutes per game each of the last two seasons. It's against the teams that play small ball that he can't be played much. So the Rockets & Warriors are bad matchups. But he is very good against many other teams, such as the Spurs, Jazz, Pelicans, T-Wolves, etc.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
And Aldridge folded like a cheap suit in the playoffs when he had a shot at being a real hero. Then he turns and whines about getting the ball more and begging to leave. Portland would be amazing if he would have stuck around. I legitimately think Aldridge thinks he's too tier when he's not.

Dude couldn't make it work with Pop. Enough said for me.